Welcome to the new site

This wordpress version of Nnourobscurbannourishing Obscurity is, as you can see, in magazine format but apart from that, there’s little fanfare or bells and whistles.

To the left is one of the original banners for the old site; it’s a bit sad that it has to become an archive but there is a point to the timing.  Tomorrow, I also lose someone very special to me, it’s her birthday today and so it seems the appropriate occasion to move on.

Hope you like the new site; hope I like my new life.  Remember, the old site hasn’t bitten the dust, it’s just resting.

Comments

The site is configured so that you need to have your first comment approved but after that, you just comment freely, as and when you want.  Naturally, some people are blocked.  I’m not running the registration option or captcha because it’s a pain in the neck for visitors.

By far the biggest decision was choosing the theme.  Knowing I wanted a magazine style, I must have looked at quite a few hundred themes, before coming down to three:

1.  News Magazine 640, which had the advantage of postingthe latest post in each new theme – very nice but there were text problems and in IE6, apparently, one whole panel did not show;

2. One which had advertising in the top right but there was no way, except by altering php, of chanigng or loading ads;

3. Atahualpa, which gives you over 200 configurable options – mindblowing – but is still the old three column version I had at Blogger.  Nice but it needed a change.

So I ended up with this one.  WordPress, I’d suggest, is not enough in itself.  It needs to be combined with a great theme which gives many options, with the proviso that the more options, the more you have to think about and the more which can go wrong.

10 comments for “Welcome to the new site

1. September 29, 2009 at 14:29

I like it, the only thing I can see is if you could select ‘add a comment’ without having to leave the front page, but then you’d not see the whole post either 🙂

you’ll like it James hehe

2. September 29, 2009 at 14:38

Congratulations on the new look on your own domain. WordPress is great.

3. September 29, 2009 at 15:14

I’m here; you’re looking good.

Best regards

4. September 29, 2009 at 15:32

Yes, I was thinking of the front page comment and it’s one failing of the magazine layout – that there is that extra click for people to make. I’m going to look at a widget which puts any new comment in the sidebar. These are teething troubles.

Thanks, Nigel, Lord T and Lord Nazh. Heh – Lord Nazh, you were first on the new site. Yo!

5. alison
    September 29, 2009 at 17:58

I LOVE IT! It’s fantastic. Totally suits your writing style and the sheer volume of posts you put up James which has always been impressive. Makes it much easier to appreciate them ALL and take your time in trying to decide where to add to the debate. Plus I love that you included SOS at the top too. Congratulations on the new site. I have no idea who was making your bloglife a bit of a misery or why but I think the result of it all has been a brilliant new site. All credit to you.

6. September 29, 2009 at 18:34

I think the new site looks fantastic. Very much like a magazine so it suits your blog style 🙂

7. September 30, 2009 at 10:02

Nice work James. It is like a tabloid for bright folks.

8. jmb
    September 30, 2009 at 19:17

What a shame I am blocked and not welcome. But still I wish you well with your new site. I don’t know why I keep an eye on this site, well the old one really. I’ll have to think about whether to add this new one to my reader. Maybe it is time for me to move on, as you have done long ago. In bocca al lupo.

9. October 2, 2009 at 20:37