Artificial intelligence

brainsky

No, not Gordo.  The Tower of Babel principle. Lord T is of the opinion that true AI is a long way off:

Personally though I think we are so far from a learning machine that could think and act like us that I see AI splitting into two branches. One where we use fast and parallel processing to perform tasks and interact as a robot with specific tasks in mind. We can create robots for all our mundane tasks and free up our time.

The second branch is where we work on an artificial brain which we could use in dangerous situations to evaluate and resolve issues that humans would normally do. Eventually of course we would end up with something that would be, in reality, a new life form.

Yes, we can get it to think out solutions and take action, it can learn to scour the net for possible data to build new solutions and if one of the inputs had been to think out the solution to human stupidity, it could conclude, on balance, that humans are better eliminated.

This still does not give it a soul and the capacity to go against its directives or to think laterally.

6 comments for “Artificial intelligence

1. October 12, 2009 at 10:13

I like the Terminator films too James:)

Do we really want an “artificial intelligence” that thinks like us?

Or do we want one that thinks of the consequences of it’s actions.

2. October 12, 2009 at 11:16

Good question about consequences.

3. October 12, 2009 at 12:21

This is but one reason I think we should keep away from AI. It is Pandoras box.

Best left unopened.

4. October 12, 2009 at 14:13

The thought of AI is quite scary. Man always likes to meddle with things regardless of the consequences.

• October 12, 2009 at 17:21

One only needs look at The Mummy and sequel. Not AI but same meddlesome principle.

5. October 12, 2009 at 19:21

Probably not much point in worrying about these things because the way things are going we’ll soon be back in the woods hunting for rabbits and berries and trying to keep warm round a wood fire at nights 🙂 But seriously folks, much as I distrust humans, I’d still rather trust my future to humans than the “decisions” of computer-controlled machines, because… they’ve been built and programmed by stupid humans. Oh… I think I may be arguing against myself there. Stupid human that I am. But take a look at James’s old Airbus posts if you want a “for example” though.

Comments are closed.