9 comments for “Late evening listening – two cats copulating on a tin roof

1. dearieme
    October 22, 2009 at 20:12

No. 1: too many notes.
    No. 2: I’d play that instrument with my shoes off.

2. dearieme
    October 22, 2009 at 20:17
  3. dearieme
    October 22, 2009 at 20:44

Hey, Hob, do you remember Eva Taylor singing in old age with some Scandowegian jazzers? Here she is in her prime, in Very Good Company.

4. The Economic Voice
    October 22, 2009 at 22:04

I Love the first one…..her timing is perfect and she makes it look effortless…..The second is annoying.

5. October 22, 2009 at 23:22

Risked YouTube…

The problem with the first one is there no change in dynamics which makes it undramatic. It is not perfect though 🙂

6. MTG
    October 23, 2009 at 21:09

It may not be everyone’s favourite instrument but the masterly Comparone steals your attention. Did you simply stumble across it, JH?

7. October 24, 2009 at 06:44

MTG, there were two things – I love the clavicembalo anyway for its purity, as distinct from the thud of the piano, Baroque for its clarity and if I may use the term – multi-layered simplicity though simple is not applicable to Baroque. Cherie finds monotonous the lack of dynamic range but this was a harpsichord after all. There are ways round it but this piece by Scarlatti is meant to be at blistering speed and the counterpoint comes in in the middle.

Comparone I only knew of in passing, which sounds a bit suspect for one who professes to love the clavicembalo but there are many astounding gaps in my knowledge. For example, in physical training, I didn’t know what Crossfit was. I like the way Elaine stands at her instrument but she really bashes it, especially with that left hand.

TEV – you’re actually a musician, a bassist and so you’d appreciate the first but why you don’t like Rameau I’m not sure. Dearieme – with your blues and jazz ear, it’s not surprising the Baroque Scarlatti would not be your cup of tea although I thought polyphony would be your thing. Your suggestions noted, by the way.

8. dearieme
    October 24, 2009 at 12:35

Ahem, Hob, it was a quotation from Amadeus. Meant as a jeu d’esprit.

9. October 24, 2009 at 13:23

From the Italian music master wasn’t it or from the Elector?

Comments are closed.