Late evening listening – whom to believe

jackson_browne_photosynthesis_400

Obviously these incidents aren’t current in themselves but the issues are very much current.  Basically, I was looking for a Jackson Browne clip which matched the mood tonight, with big trouble coming up tomorrow morning.  I found the clip [below]:

… but also saw a comment by someone: “Has he stopped wife beating yet?”

A bit of research turned up accusations of driving his first wife to suicide, nearly driving Joni Mitchell to the same, beating up Daryl Hannah and beating on other women. As the allegations appeared all over the place and were taken as read, this was sickening so I prepared to farewell Jackson for good.

Pity, as I met him in Australia and the matter of his wife’s suicide came up in the conversation.  He seemed reasonable enough.  And yet, we have this, from Daryl Hannah’s uncle:

“I am Haskell Wexler, Daryl Hannah’s uncle. I am, also, a longtime friend of Jackson Browne and admirer of his artistry. I am no longer his friend. Jackson beat Daryl in September 1992. I was with her in the hospital, I saw the ugly black bruises on her eye and chin and on her ribs. The examining doctor reported she had blood in her urine. The doctor was shocked by the severity and noted Daryl as “a badly battered woman.” I photographed her at the hospital. It could be that nobody cares about objective truth anymore.”

Pretty damning. From that were spawned comments like this, by a woman named Maria:

I saw Jackson Browne at an awards show last year, and at the time I thought he seemed like a person who looked like I wouldn’t want to get on his bad side. The lo and behold I find out about the so-called non-incident, plus now Joni Mitchell was nearly driven to suicide because of him…and his first wife killed herself and he allegedly hit her too if Joni’s song “Not To Blame” off her Turbulent Indigo album is to believe.

I used to like his music, but now that I know he is an abuser of women, I have no respect for him anymore as a songwriter OR as a person…any more than I would for Ike Turner.

… and this:

I wouldn`t let Jackson Browne near me with a 10 foot poll. His record with women is terrible! He`s BEAT three women and drove one to suicide. Poor Joni Mitchell almost killed herself over that waste of space! ACK!

Where the tide turned slightly was in a reply to this last comment:

firefly…get your facts straight. you have no idea who this man is or what he is like…or not. you are SO very wrong.

then:

The night of the “incident”, Jackson Browne called the police because of Daryl Hannah’s actions. When they arrived, there was no evidence of any abuse and DH never made those accusations. Why would JB call the police if he was beating DH? This is documented FACT. Also, DH has since recanted her accusations.

JB is a highly respected singer/songwriter and it annoys me to no end to see people passing on tabloid gossip as the truth. This is a man’s reputation we’re talking about. So no, Jackson Browne did not beat Daryl Hannah. Any “evidence” to the contrary (bruises on DH) somehow appeared AFTER the incident, after the police arrived and dealt with whatever had been going on between the two of them.

… and:

Here is a statement made by Lt. John Miehle of the Santa Monica Police Department in November 1992:

“The Santa Monica Police Department went to the house where Jackson Browne lives regarding a possible disturbance. We resolved the situation in about five minutes. There was never any assault. There are no charges pending and no prosecution sought by or intended by the District Attorney. It is this department’s intention that no citizen, regardless of who she is, suffer any kind of abuse, whether it be domestic violence or any other kind of assault. But in this case, absolutely no assault occurred.

Our investigators tell us nothing happened. Nobody has even alleged that Daryl Hannah was even touched. If they had, we’d be investigating. We’re not hiding anything. The press is trying to make more out of this than there really is, and it’s unfair, not just to Browne, but to us. We did our job, and repeat, no crime occurred here. This whole thing is ridiculous.”

You’d possibly agree that though the Jackson Browne incidents are no longer current, the issue of abuse and false testimony are current.  Just whom can one believe in this thing?  Daryl Hannah later retracted her story and that is a worrying thing.

On the other hand, does that exonerate Browne from the other incidents people talk about?  It’s a really curly question.

………..

May 20, 2016 update: Hmmmmmm, this was a bit rough, methinks. He was exonerated from every one of those but I never came back and corrected it here. Have now.

8 comments for “Late evening listening – whom to believe

1. October 15, 2009 at 20:21

Good song though….

yeah I think he might have the Gary Glitter factor where you can’t listen to his music because you know the man behind the music makes you balk……

2. October 15, 2009 at 20:23

Actually they should start a new show called “The Gary Glitter Factor” where your given the personal background on an individual and vote accordingly….the most repulsive character wins and then goes straight to a jail in Bangkok……..

3. October 16, 2009 at 01:37

His private life is irrelevant to his music. You don’t need to like him to like his music. This is a variant of the principle that his music doesn’t make his opinions any more valuable. The conflicting stories on the internet about the private lives of famous people are a new, and rather nasty, “price of fame.” We should try to keep that price to a minimum by not joining in such speculation, because otherwise governments will create damaging privacy laws to protect these butterflies. Such laws will then be used by politicians (remembering that politics is showbiz for the ugly) to conceal increased levels of corruption.

4. April 3, 2017 at 09:23

I came across this whilst googling, as I’m also concerned about alleged domestic abuse by an artist I love. I like your balanced, enquiring approach. It seems there’s no definite answer. Browne denied it but never explained it. Hannah’s never publicly withdrawn her accusation. What can you do? My post about it is at:

5. June 26, 2017 at 23:29

A couple of questions, James, if I may.

After quoting Lt Miehle’s ‘statement’, you say, ‘A lady called Laura, a prosecutor for the City of Los Angeles for 17 years, corroborated the above.’ Can you clarify that? How did she give that corroboration? To whom? What did she say, exactly? What’s her surname?

You say, ‘Daryl Hannah later retracted her story’. I’ve seen this said several times, but I’ve never seen any evidence that she publicly said that. Do you know if there is such evidence?

• June 27, 2017 at 08:46

Start of the working day here and my answer must be – not off hand but shall look at this later today. It may well be I can’t find and will either stand corrected or it will be left open. don’t know but until later.

The Daryl Hannah one I’ve done a quick check but when my post is high on google’s page, that is not a good thing as there is little corroboration ranked above that. I’ve looked back and it’s been JB’s supporters who said there was a retraction. I don’t see anything from DH herself. You have posted on it and I must defer to that at this point.

For our readers, here it is again:

The Laura one I’ll have to look at later as need to go to town now. Chris, found it just now but be careful with the forum as commercial pop-ups abound on the page:

I’ll leave it at that for now.

• June 27, 2017 at 11:38

Thanks for that, James. After I asked you about ‘Laura’, I found her 2002 Jackson’s Café post quoted on Findadeath (as per your link, above). She clearly doesn’t have any info on this incident. She says she thinks Browne is innocent because the police investigate and the state prosecutes, even if the victim denies that abuse happened, as long as assault has been reported. In this case, no assault was reported to the police. But Browne had called the police to report a disturbance. When they arrived, he told them everything was fine. They apparently left without seeing Hannah. Hannah’s spokesperson issued a press release the same day, saying, ‘She received serious injuries incurred during a domestic dispute with Browne for which she sought medical treatment.’ Apparently the police didn’t carry out any further investigation. I think they should have. (Having said that, I think he probably didn’t do it.)

Comments are closed.