Think I missed Columbus Day

columb_special

As Matt says:

As if #1 were not an important enough legacy to the US, our country used to be referred to as Columbia (a feminization of Columbus’ name). Our unofficial national anthem (before “The Star Spangled Banner”) was “Hail, Columbia”. So, to everyone, I wish you all a Happy Columbus Day and all Hail Columbia!!!!!!!

ilybc_cc1

Beth Cooper was saying to me the other day that his films are getting better and better – not bad for a detective who sailed halfway round the world.

sony-columbia-pictures-logo

7 comments for “Think I missed Columbus Day

1. dearieme
    October 12, 2009 at 16:53

American schoolchidren used to be indoctrinated with a heady mix of untruths, half-truths and utterly unknowables about the good Christopher. Are they still?

P.S. I’ve seen a replica of the Santa Maria sailing off Madeira, based on someone’s best guess at her dimensions. My Lord, she’s tiny. Brave fellows!

2. October 12, 2009 at 17:12

Are they still? However would I know, Dearieme? We’ll await an American commenter.

3. October 12, 2009 at 17:35

You’d have to repeat the untruths/half-truths and unknowables before I could tell you if they are still being ‘indoctrinated’ with them 🙂

All 3 of the ships were very tiny by today’s standards; talk about brave … 4 months on one of those things would be hell

4. dearieme
    October 12, 2009 at 20:44

What’s known for sure about his voyage is the date of arrival and the names of his three ships. Pretty much everything else is iffy, except when it’s certain tosh – as in the nonsense about his opponents believing the world to be flat.

5. October 12, 2009 at 21:04

How do you know it’s tosh, Dearieme?

6. October 12, 2009 at 21:49

Facts or at least guesses here would help dearie… until then you’re simply speculating.

7. dearieme
    October 13, 2009 at 13:54

I’ll give you all an earful on the matter when I have time.

Comments are closed.