Wild weather, lashing rain, blizzards – lovely

floods

One can relax more in a raging storm:

Helen Chivers, a forecaster with the Met Office, said on Friday: “Upland areas of Wales and southern England look like they will see the heaviest rain on Monday with 15-25mm in the early hours.”

As she spoke heavy wind and rain were sweeping eastwards across the south coast, with gusts topping 50mph and Camborne in Cornwall seeing 10mm of rain, almost half an inch, in one thundery hour.

The worst was expected to hit overnight across the south west and on Saturday morning in the south east, leading to dangerous driving conditions.  She said: “We are looking at gusts of 65 to 75mph in counties south of the M4. The strongest might reach 80mph.”

The storm was the most fierce of the autumn so far, she added.

England medium

What is it about  this sort of weather which gets us in?  What is it about bare poles and leafless trees, muffling up and going down to the raging sea in the storm?  Is this strange or understandable?

Why am in my best mood in dangerous or very dark conditions?  Are you like this?

A-man-walks-in-the-rain-a-001

Post navigation

9 comments for “Wild weather, lashing rain, blizzards – lovely

1. dearieme
    November 13, 2009 at 23:32

Bugger the weather, what about the bloody grammar? “look like they will see” in fucking deed.

2. November 13, 2009 at 23:51

I love extreme weather when I am indoors and watching it 🙂 Wild snow storms I love to wrap up warm and go outside (my friends think I am nuts!!!) Gale force winds do scare me after the time in London with the dustbin lid!

3. November 14, 2009 at 00:13

Nearly didn’t make it out of my lane earlier……totally flooded. And we are at real altitude in the Brecon Beacons way above the valley floors.

Makes you wonder why coastal property commands the price it does.

4. ivan
    November 14, 2009 at 00:19

What is it with the UK – get a drop of rain and the rivers flood, roads flood and so on. All this started to happen when idiots took over ‘looking after’ the country side.

In my part of France, rivers and streams are kept cleared – remove all the picturesque trees and grass that will impede the flow of water. The ditches at the sides of the roads are cleaned out at least once a year for the same reason.

We did have a little flooding about 7 years ago caused by some lax cleaning and old vines washing down to the river and causing a temporary dam. I wonder how the average townie in England would take it when it rains here? Several times this year the center of the road past my house has had water 2 inches deep after about half an hour of rain – note I said the center because all the roads in the upper part of the village slope to a center gutter. There has not been any house flooded in the 19 years I’ve been here.

Do I like it? Yes – except when my Newfoundland dog insists on going out in the worst of it and I have to dry him when we get back – too mant books to allow him to dry off on his own.

5. November 14, 2009 at 01:10

For a minute there, I thought you had posted a pic of my place[top pic].
    It’s been really windy and raining for two days now…and Mum left the barn door open which keeps being blown open and banging shut with every strong gust of wind. I’m more worried about the 100 year old oak tree above my bedroom roof which always sways and creaks in this weather.

If you never hear from me again….you’ll know why…

6. Peter Mc
    November 14, 2009 at 07:56

It’s one of the few things we can no longer control. Going out in this kind of weather is the closest many of get to living dangerously if you discount a Saturday night out in many market towns.

7. MTG
    November 14, 2009 at 09:59

Little point denying a rumour that Yorkshire is the origin of a vindaloo and lager storm. We offer our apologies should said conditions worsen during the early hours of Sunday morning.

8. November 14, 2009 at 10:11

Peter Mc,

Don’t say that. Entire economies and careers are being created and destroyed on that presumption.

You are clearly a heathen. (Like me) 🙂