Ethnicity in prison populations

prison

In the 2002 UK Census, 92% of the population was white and the blacks comprised:

1.0% Black Caribbean
0.8% Black African
0.2% Black (others)

The UK prison population at the same time comprised 86% white and the blacks comprised around 11%.

In Canada:

Statistics tell a dismal story. Aboriginals amount to fewer than 4 per cent of the Canadian population, yet accounted for 24 per cent of those admitted to provincial or federal custody in 2006-2007 – up from 21 per cent the previous year. In Ontario, twice as many aboriginal youth are being jailed as non-aboriginal youth who commit the same offence.

“We had to get the numbers down because they were ridiculous,” Mr. Justice Melvyn Green, of the Ontario Court of Justice, said in an interview. “But 10 years later, my God, we are even deeper in the jungle. This is really the horror.”

According to the Australian Institute of Criminology, indigenous people represented 22% of Australia’s prison population in June of 2005: “a shocking figure”, particularly since Aborigines make up less than 3% of Australia’s total population. Indigenous women are currently the fastest growing profiled group in Australia’s prison system. And throughout the 1990’s, indigenous people made up an astoundingly disproportionate 18% of prisoner deaths in custody.

Although Māori make up only 14% of the [New Zealand] population, they make up almost 50% of the prison population. Māori have higher unemployment-rates than other cultures resident in New Zealand, higher numbers of suicides than non-Māori, only 47% of Māori school-leavers finish school with qualifications higher than NCEA Level One compared to 74% European; 87% Asian.”

What does all this tell us? Four different nations, same story.

17 comments for “Ethnicity in prison populations

1. December 28, 2009 at 19:18

Fascinating that we still must demonstrate the obvious, after all these centuries.

I once had two black men tell me whilst in the Virgin Islands, on two separate ocassions, that they would never live in a country ruled by black men. “Just look at all the black countries now” they both said. “Only white people,” they knew, “can rule properly.” Even then, it’s difficult.

2. December 28, 2009 at 19:21

Not one statistic on who commits crimes?

3. December 28, 2009 at 20:06

Check out, The Color of Crime.

4. December 28, 2009 at 20:07

Rusty – thanks.

Lord Nazh – that’s for you to provide to round out the discussion.

5. December 28, 2009 at 21:50

Perhaps, a more shocking statistic…

“There are currently around 85,000 people in prison in England and Wales with recent estimates putting the proportion who have previously served in the armed forces between five and ten per cent (equating to 4,000 to 8,300 prisoners).

The Howard League for Penal Reform claims the vast majority are male. Many are formerly of the army but there are also a number of former navy personnel, particularly the Royal Marines.”

6. December 28, 2009 at 23:32

Statistics are not very reliable, it depends on what and how large the sample quota is. Statistics can be very easily biased to prove a particular point.

7. December 28, 2009 at 23:50

Naughty boy. The whingy whiney people hate facts.

8. December 29, 2009 at 05:25

If the sample size is 100% of the population then you can safely call the statistic a fact. What that fact will teach us is another matter.

9. December 29, 2009 at 11:10

I think Wolfie and Lord T have answered Cherie here. Harry – that’s one to explore.

10. December 29, 2009 at 14:05

“If the sample size is 100% of the population then you can safely call the statistic a fact.”

One need not have all available data to create general rules and to make correct decisions.

11. December 29, 2009 at 14:40

Well actually Wolfie’s comments confirmed what I was saying 😉

12. December 29, 2009 at 15:25

The details provided here are facts not samples. Thus the statistics question does not arise. The UK government has detailed facts on each person in Prison as do all the countries and this gives us percentages not extrapolated statistics.

Facts which lefties have being ignoring for years.

13. December 29, 2009 at 22:48

I was OK with this until the mention that it is government ‘facts’ being used to provide the information!!!

14. December 30, 2009 at 10:39

Cherry,

I’m sure that the government facts that agree with your views are spot on accurate. I’ve seen them quoted before.

Facts are facts. They can be manipulated by excluding certain groups but I suspect that with our governments history of hiding these sorts of facts that the real data is much worse.

15. December 30, 2009 at 13:13

That is a rather inaccurate assumption on your part, I am not given to twisting facts to suit occasions, so I am not sure where you got that idea from.

My initial comment on this thread was really meant to advise caution and Wolfie summed up what I was trying to say far better than I did.

16. December 30, 2009 at 13:49

Lord T,

Speaking from experience here in America, I can confirm your suspicions. I will also issue a warning that as their numbers grow, so will the crime spread not only in absolute measures but also in quantity and venue. Cultural Marxism and Global Capitalism both have the same effect on Western nations: death. Examples of the benefits of diversity are to be seen in the big cities of America such as Chicago, Kansas City, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and New York. Internationally, Rhodesia and South Africa, Haiti, Dominican Republic, large cities in France, Holland, and Sweden.

Diversity will wipe you out. Again, as an American, who has been trapped in this experiment of global empire his entire life, I have witnessed it firsthand. Multiculturalism is a giant lie designed to do one thing: destroy all nations upon which it is inflicted.

Be bold. The truth will set you free.

17. December 30, 2009 at 14:04

Cherry,

What I am saying regarding yourself is that you have quoted Government facts previously in support of discussions. Same as I do 🙂 I accept that most, and believe that all, goverment facts are biased. They treat raw data like the climate activists do and only release data that supports their views when they can.