Why must small cars be awfully styled?

You all saw the Aston Martin attempt at a small car and many comments were made on that, not all cutting.  Seems there is a veritable plethora of small cars being released in the New Year and I have some questions about them.  First of all, a reasonably nice one:

Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta_600-600x400

I don’t know much about modern Alfas since I drove a Giulia Sprint way back when but it was a fine car at that time.  I’ve heard you need two Alfas – one to drive whilst the other’s being repaired but that might now be outdated .

Anyway, the Alfa above is not a bad looking car.  Compare that to the monstrosity below, the blandness, the total inability to put style into a small package.

Hell, if a woman can have style in a small package, why can’t a car?  Why do they do this – is it so that it does not detract from their top of the range models or what?

Proton-S16_600-600x400

I’m sorry but this type of buzzbox design is deeply depressing.  The question I’m really asking is why cheap must always transate into bland and stylistically mindless?

8 comments for “Why must small cars be awfully styled?

1. December 29, 2009 at 16:58

Does it perhaps have something to do with “upselling”; motivating buyers to part with more lucre in return for more style?

2. December 29, 2009 at 17:05

I dislike most modern cars, especially the compact ones. Every time I get in one, my head is just barely clearing the inside roof, and constantly rubs and bumps against it while driving. My preference is for trucks and SUV’s since they usually have more comfortable seats, more head space, and more leg room.

3. dearieme
    December 29, 2009 at 17:35

Quite right, BobG.

4. December 29, 2009 at 21:43

Sadly car manufacturers base their model shapes and colours on market research. There are actually people that prefer these bright green or yellow cars.

No accounting for taste I say. Look at Sarah Browns choices.

5. December 29, 2009 at 22:41

That second one looks like a box too me!

6. December 30, 2009 at 15:01

“Why must small cars be awfully styled?”

Because, like most things today, they’re designed by a committee… not a person with vision, love and true ability.

7. December 30, 2009 at 15:30

Ah yes.

8. December 30, 2009 at 20:29

There are also corporate turf wars going on, which explains why some known and easily fixed design flaws never get fixed.