New iTampon – what’s your opinion?

ipad

This post is more in the nature of a request for information.  While it would seem silly to ask PC users rather than Mac users for their opinions, technology is so varied these days that most PC users have other devices such as iPod and iPhone.

Your humble blogger can write html to produce a webpage but he doesn’t even know what 3G or iphones are or do.  He’s been left out of the technology loop and wouldn’t even know what a modern mobile phone gets up to.  He doesn’t even know what an aggregator does.  He does understand the concept of RSS.

He needs a great word programme with graphics facility, good browser and a quick graphics editor plus the Microsoft suite or something which approximates it. He prefers touchpad to mouse and a separate keyboard is unnecessary.

The reason he’s asking this today is that sadly, his Macbook Pro is nearing the end of its life and the money is not available for a new one.

Your help would be appreciated in sizing up the new iPad.

What it doesn’t have

The iPad lacks a built-in camera, USB ports and memory card reader, but all three features can be added by buying separate adapters. A separate keyboard dock is required to connect the iPad to a keyboard.  Also like the iPhone, users of the iPad can only install apps sanctioned by Apple and provided through its App Store. However, web apps that are run through the browser will work.

Only videos contained in the user’s iTunes library or converted to Apple’s video formats will play, and files cannot be dragged and dropped on to the device, as is the case with most other computers.  It also lacks an HDMI output for connection to a TV set. Only 720p video playback is supported, rather than the 1080p resolution of true high-definition files.

Pricing

The non-3G iPads will be available worldwide in late March for a suggested retail price of $US499 for the basic 16GB model. There will also be a $US599 32GB model and a $US699 64GB model.  The WiFi plus 3G models will be go on sale in April in the US and selected countries for a suggested retail price of $US629 for the 16GB model, $US729 for the 32GB model and $US829 for the 64GB model.

12 comments for “New iTampon – what’s your opinion?

1. ivan
    January 28, 2010 at 11:29

As it stands without all the add on parts it is a toy designed to boost the apple profits. If you want to be able to do light work, then get a netbook – yes I know they ate PCs at the moment but they have all the parts built in for less money.

I gave up on Apple many years ago when they started the hard lock down of the hardware – if I buy something it is mine to do with it as I please and not for the manufacturer to tell me what I can and can’t do with it.

I would suggest you read the Register articles – and the comments – about it then make up your mind – just remember it will not replace the notebook in functionality.

A fer to be going on with.

2. MadPiper
    January 28, 2010 at 13:51

I am under-whelmed. It appears to be geared more for the sale of additional items to add normal functionality. And of course that adds weight and complexity, off-setting the current advantages of size and weight. A net book might be a more reasonable option, VAT willing!

3. January 28, 2010 at 13:57

In my humble opinion: Don’t pay for “the microsoft suite”. The open source Open Office is free and wonderful. Similarly Paint.Net will do all your graphics editing for free. If you get a netbook be sure to get one of the slightly bigger ones with a decent keyboard. But really, I’d suggest a cheap full size laptop PC with the basic one-year warranty. £350 tops. And Microsoft Security essentials that is free with Windows seems to catch stuff that commercial antivirus doesn’t, so don’t shell out for that con trick either. The more you pay the more you hurt when it goes wrong after 13 months; but most budget laptops will last quite a few years. And buying in Tesco, where in my experience they cheerfully respond to any complaint within 1 year with “Do you want your money back or a new one” rather than the likes of PC World (who don’t make it easy to get help) or online retailers whose helplines can be helpless. Above all don’t buy a Mac unless you are happy to pay at least £100 quid extra just to have a Mac. But if you follow all or any of that advice and it all goes wrong don’t come crying to me to complain 🙂

4. January 28, 2010 at 15:21

I’m seriously reading this advice because I must make a move soon. I have Neo-Office on the Mac now and am happy with it so open source is a good thing in some cases.

Thanks, gents.

5. ivan
    January 28, 2010 at 16:35

Another one James http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01/28/apple_ipad_vs_netbooks/

That being said I agree with Andrew – get a full sized laptop. In most cases you can blow away the Windows OS and install one of the Linux distros. Since OSX is based on BsD you would be more at home with Linux than Windows – it should be possible to install free BsD on some of the notebooks.

If you want real portability get one of the larger screen netbooks and again install Linux – it will enhance the battery life time for a start. It should even be possible to get a netbook with Linux pre-installed as this was what they started out with until microsoft saw them as another way to increase profits.

If you do go down this road it is possible to get a refund on the unused windows software, but it does take persistence.

6. January 28, 2010 at 17:41

Right, just read all those. It seems the iPad is not for me. I’m going to try my luck with you tomorrow morning with a short list of requirements and see if that comes up with a laptop. And thanks.

7. January 28, 2010 at 17:46

Having used Macs and Windows before, I recently got a Dell netbook with Linux Ubuntu pre-installed but I do find some niggly issues with the Linux. One of the updates swapped my ” and @ symbols and I can’t get them back; some blog sites freeze when accessed on the Linux machine but are fine with a Windows machine; and it is much more fiddly to keep mutiple windows open using the Firefox Browser (maybe because of something I am not familiar with yet). The Netbook is nice, great for an insomniac surfing at night in bed, and I’m happy to have it; but if choosing again I think I’d choose Windows over Linux. The people who love Linux all seem to be much more into programming and code that I am (which is not at all). They advise me how I can fix and adjust things using words they assume are everyday language, but which mean nothing to me 🙂 I also have an American colleague whose much more computer-savvy son tried Linux but soon abandoned it and re-installed Windows after finding it troublesome in terms of user-friendliness.

8. January 28, 2010 at 18:04

No, it’s not you on the Firefox – it has been damned poor of late, it’s crashed twice today for me and Safari never crashes. Firefox hates multiple tabs of late, e.g. when visiting blogs and takes time loading pages. I’d use Safari constantly if it multiple tabbed but it is set on opening a new window each time and can’t be configured otherwise. Firefox is a damned good browser to use when it works though.

9. January 28, 2010 at 19:42

Andrew’s first comment sums up much of what I would have said and there are some very good deals on lap tops at the moment.

I could get my brother to look into it for you, he is good at that sort of thing. Plus he has already done the research recently to get a good deal for my nephew.

10. Peter Mc
    January 28, 2010 at 21:06

iPad. Bleagh. Can’t see a reason to buy. Happy with my MacBook but I’m not playing Apple’s game with all the rest of the ‘product’. To keep the wolf away I may be taxi driving soon (thanks for the recession, Gordon) and will be looking at a netbook so I can write on the wrank. Any advice welcome.

11. January 29, 2010 at 07:17

OK a really good browser for windows and Linux is Firefox, you can download Chrome for free also, but I like Firefox.

It works better than Safari for me, but that is not on a dying mac, just a tired XP laptop ^_^

For word processing, spreadsheets and such Open Office from sun is great. It can read/write MS office files.

I think the new i-phone is awesomely useful.

I am, not at all sure about the I-pad tho. Seems maybe a notebook might be more useful? It comes with and keyboard and folds up to protect the screen.

I’t like they try to make a big thing about reading a newspaper on it. Well you can do that on any computer. Not sure if it has 3g phone capability but it would be a bit like those really huge cell phones they had in the 80s wouldn’t it? I would wait on buying one.

12. January 30, 2010 at 23:50

Well, I didn’t even know it was a computer! I thought it was a bigger ipod!