Why don’t I like Andie MacDowell?

mp-05000028There are many reasons to dislike a person and no doubt some of them have occurred to you in my case but there’s something which really disturbs me and that’s when I dislike someone for no apparent reason. I’ve tried to rationalize these things and there have to be reasons but I can’t pinpoint those reasons in Andie MacDowell’s case.

Interestingly, the comments about disliking her seem to come almost exclusively from men [though there are also men who like her or who don’t mind her.] Yet it is true that many men don’t and I saw a poll on this some years back. Also interesting was that on one of these sites, a female commenter dropped in the name Richard Dreyfus. Yes – he’s another one I don’t like and also Dustin Hoffman.

Whyever not?

What’s tied up in this question is our own self-image. You can’t very well say you dislike Germaine Greer, Gloria Steinem and Andrea Whatshername without someone twigging as to why that is. If it were Sidney Poitier, Chuck Berry and Sammy Davis Junior, then certain questions could be asked. And it doesn’t look good, does it? The word “prejudice” hovers round in the background.

This is the point when it becomes time to admit we are not as crazy about plain or ugly people as we are about pretty people. We accept things from them less unless they have a real talent which breaks through that barrier. Someone wrote that Andie MacDowell is beautiful and it is true that she was once a model but my reaction was, “What? Her? Beautiful? Andie effing MacDowell?”

That’s a terrible thing to say. Looking at her pic [top left] … well … she’s OK, not bad, not good. And now I think we might be on to something. Perhaps we pigeonhole someone, we expect him to act in certain ways and when he acts outside those ways, we don’t like it. When that person has a narrow personal bubble in which we’ll accept him, perhaps we’re saying, “Now you just play your role the way we conceptualize it but don’t go giving yourself any airs.”

And that poor person – all his/her life he’s had to put up with that although he never says anything to anyone about it but he knows … he knows, deep down.   I know that the man up the road in the shop doesn’t like me.  Sometimes he puts a brave face on it and I try to act normally in placing my order but there is a definite unspoken negative there. On the other hand, the lady in the shop breaks into a smile whenever she sees me, so I give up.

And sometimes it’s only a physical facial feature, a way of smiling, a way of walking. Maybe it’s the shape of your neck or your ears and immediately you subconsciously accord to that person less tolerance of anything he might have to say. You listen but you’d prefer to move on. Then people start giving him praise for his acting or whatever and the very worst thing happens – he starts to give himself airs and strut about like a George Clooney and he simply cannot do it. It’s ludicrous.

Andie MacDowell comes across to me as a hard woman. I might be 100% plain wrong, wrong, wrong about that and I hope I am. But she seems that way and that makes her manner of acting annoying – she’s so earnest, she tries too hard and even in that trying too hard I feel sorry for her because she clearly realizes she can’t do it easy.

Askmen disagrees with me and gives her a high rating but still says:

Andie is one of those women who’s actually more beautiful than sexy, though that’s not to say that she’s not a scintillating Southern belle.

Making excuses for her: “While her acting had been panned by most critics …” OK, so there’s a factor. “Independent spirit …” Ah, perhaps that’s it though I like Kate Bush, another independent spirit. “Used this time to study method acting …” Groan – another one of those bores.

The things said here about her are unprintable.  Another site says:

“In fact, in my travels, I’ve discovered that most people have at least a mild dislike for Ms. MacDowell.  On some level this feels uncharitable. She is, after all, a model-turned-actress, and she’s only doing her best.”

You see – we’re always making excuses for her and feeling bad about disliking her.  Here‘s another.

And:

“She seems to be trying very hard, and not succeeding. No matter what expression is on her face, there’s always a look of strain behind her eyes. Then again, I guess that could just be how she looks.”

By now, some of you reading this will be angry with me, with this post, for bashing the woman.  I agree, I feel bad about writing what I have but I want to know why I’m writing it.  And the way she has now, at 50, started going in for the nude scenes she once refused and turning up at functions letting it all hang out, is sad.  The time to do that was 20 years ago.

AnotherAnother – almost all men.

Do you know, I think I might have it – she either genuinely thinks she’s alluring to men and plays the femme fatale or else she knows she’s not but plays the femme fatale.  I’ve just read some interviews with her and she’s coarse.  Unfeminine.  And yet she talks about being a “leading lady” and how difficult it is in your 40s.  She seems to give herself airs like her neighbour Steven Seagal.

Now I’m sure I’m close to it [this is almost live blogging now]:

I’ve never felt sexier in my whole life. I can wear sexy clothes because I’ve got an incredible body and I happen to be 43 but it’s really not that hard, all you have to do is work out a little bit and it’s not like everything is falling apart.

Er … is she for real?  Sexy?  Incredible body?  This woman has serious image problems. This article says of her: “Other women like her characters, men don’t much.” She says of her modelling:

“Anjelica Huston, Jessica Lange, Geena Davis – what’s the girl from Basic Instinct? Sharon Stone – Sean Young, all modelled. The big difference is that I was extremely successful.”

The article says: “There’s nothing soft about her,” then:

Nearly all my questions seem to trigger irritable, defensive answers. She’s defensive about modelling, defensive about being a model-turned-actress, defensive about the fact that Paul Qualley has acted as a househusband in the service of her career. She jumps down my throat at the suggestion that several of her best roles share traits of repression.

When I ask her if she has ever felt limited in the roles she’s played, she retorts, “When you look at the work that I’ve done in the last few years, I don’t know that it could be better.”

Yep, this woman has problems.

She’s OK, maybe not as bad an actress as people say and people might be willing to cut her some slack if she was nice but when she comes out with how men find her sexy and she’s G-d’s gift to us, then I begin to understand the loud and almost universal, “No!”

tn-500_53Help me

I feel myself sinking now, sinking as low as many of these anti-Andie MacDowell sites and I want to end on a positive about her, I want to say something nice.

I want to.

Help me say something nice about her.

Please?

35 comments for “Why don’t I like Andie MacDowell?

1. June 5, 2010 at 20:27

Help me say something nice about her.

Ok. I’ve never minded her at all. Never heard that people don’t like her. Common with many actresses the parts just stop when they hit 40-45 and don’t come again until they can do a Miss Marple.

I suppose its correct to say that I don’t think anything about her at all.

2. June 5, 2010 at 20:40

Sorry, James, I don’t like her either, never have.

I think I might be able to shed some light on the situation with the bloke in your local shop for you…….

“the lady in the shop breaks into a smile whenever she sees me”

Aha….. so that’s it! 😉

3. WitteringsfromWitney
    June 5, 2010 at 21:35

I’ve never thought much of her either James, mainly – to paraphrase – because she’s not worth it!

4. Jim
    June 5, 2010 at 21:36

I always said Hugh Grant in FWAAF was insane to turn down Kristin Scott-Thomas for Andy McDowell. KST is pure class, looks, the lot. AMcD is, as you say, a hard faced woman. Pretty, but you wouldn’t go there.

5. dearieme
    June 5, 2010 at 21:52

Nor me; nor my wife. We boo her when she appears in 4Ws & a F.

6. June 5, 2010 at 21:53

I can’t stand her, either but I hate all women with long legs.

7. June 5, 2010 at 21:55

Welshcakes – the truth is, I never noticed her legs.

Lads in general – thankee kindly for those thoughts.

8. June 5, 2010 at 21:57

There is something about her I also find quite repulsive that I cannot quite put my finger on, but then again I’ve not spent much time musing as to why. Life is too short.

9. MTG
    June 5, 2010 at 22:14

She looks a candidate for catarrhal halitosis making you want to shout over her friend, Hughey.

10. JD
    June 5, 2010 at 23:20

I think you are turning into Jean-Paul Sartre –

“l’enfer, c’est les autres”

🙂

11. June 5, 2010 at 23:40

With no exit.

12. MadPiper
    June 6, 2010 at 00:47

Help me say something nice about her.

“I’m sure her mother loves her.”

13. dearieme
    June 6, 2010 at 01:12

And her cats. Though in the end they may eat her.

14. June 6, 2010 at 14:13

Don’t hate her, don’t lover her – just utterly indifferent as I am to most third rate “stars”

15. Jenna
    February 18, 2011 at 22:05

I absolutely find her annoying. Her acting is awful and I really don’t find her attractive and have trouble with the fact that she was a model. When was the last time she acted? I remember only 2 flicks and they are quite forgettable. Who are we talking about anyway…I forget.

16. RD
    April 4, 2014 at 22:10

I’ve always found her annoying :/ I think because she was in makeup commercials when I was a kid and I couldn’t figure out why.

17. Storm
    August 4, 2014 at 07:25

I believe you did end your post by saying something nice about her, you cared to try to find something positive about her, that is more then she deserves. I loved your post and insight shared about this women, she triggers an unconscious cue in me to just “boo” this self appointed deity among us.
    Storm…………

18. Bryons
    June 15, 2015 at 21:09

Andie McDowell’s acting is wooden. She is not believable to me. I never get convinced by her character. I’m always seeing Andie McDowell mouthing words of a character who is not her, reciting.

19. Stelth
    July 15, 2015 at 21:00

I have always had a strong visceral reaction to Andie McDowell but I don’t really know why. I find her annoying and I won’t watch anything she is in. I find her ugly but I know some believe she is beautiful. It may be due to the weird expression she always seems to have on her face….a kind of resting bitch face.

• Randy White
      February 11, 2020 at 03:22

You must have shit taste to think she’s ugly.

20. October 4, 2015 at 09:21

She has the face of a precocious 12 year old country boy that you wanna slap but know to think better of it. She must owe her career to gay casting directors or something, I’ve never met anyone who named her as their ideal of a sexy woman.

21. David
    December 14, 2015 at 15:55

I don’t understand the hate for Ms. M – I think she is an attractive lady with basic acting ability.

22. JapesMacfarland
    December 28, 2015 at 13:42

It’s funny, but I just saw the movie ‘Hudson Hawk’ and was thinking that she’s the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. (Which led me to do a search on her beauty and led me to this page) She’s just so empathetic, and feminine, and adorable for a grown woman, yet strong, and also mysterious or mischievous or with a twinkle in her eye. I don’t know, but that’s my puppy dog crush, take., lol. 🙂

• December 28, 2015 at 14:25

Fine, Japes, it all adds to the debate.

23. b
    August 1, 2016 at 07:29

She’s so pretty and chic. I love her. Very elegant and ages gracefully, like the best wines.

• August 1, 2016 at 08:33

Isn’t nature wonderful, that you’d find that attractive, it means she’d never be alone, whilst most men are avoiding her like the plague.

24. July 1, 2017 at 00:12

A.N.Other.

25. Daniel Le Roux
    March 17, 2019 at 07:42

Wow. They had really ugly blogs in 2010. Damn

26. Corrine
    December 6, 2019 at 06:07

I think Addie is gorgeous. She is one of my favorite actresses; and as a progressive liberal, I identify with Addie’s world views. I guess someone who sees something unnactractive about an otherwise beautiful woman like Addie is either jealous of her success, or has a very shallow life. Addie your beautiful! You go girl!

• December 6, 2019 at 07:34

Awwww, that’s sweet.

• Lisa L.
      December 6, 2019 at 22:03

” Addie your beautiful! ” Do you mean “Addie you’re beautiful! ” ?

27. Doonhamer
    February 11, 2020 at 20:12

She reminds me of Me-again Sparkles.
    I think it is the eyes.
    Blair has/had the same look.

Don’t know how I stumbled on this post.
    Meanwhile, back in the present, blessings and prayers for our host.

28. Neil Smart
    February 24, 2020 at 04:22

Andie MacDowell looks like an angel.

29. Toodles
    February 24, 2020 at 06:49

That may be true. There are different kinds of angels.

30. February 24, 2020 at 10:06

Most women have their good points. Some hide them well.

AMcD is just ‘ordinary’.

I am sure she has hidden talents.

I would not crawl over her to get to James.