Tango at Ten

JD is first cab off the rank, with his Tango at Ten.    Excellent news and hope you enjoy his first post:

I was aware of the tango but it was only after going to live in South America that I became fully aware of it.

There was a television channel called TangoTV and it was fascinating and informative but also insidious.  Music from Carlos Gardel to Mercedes Sosa and old film of dancers in smoky bars revealed the soul of the music and I loved it.

I was hooked.

A colleague at work filled me in with more information. It was, he said, their equivalent of the Blues in the USA. The music of those at the bottom of the heap, the rural poor and the slaves in the north and the porteños in Buenos Ayres. They were down but they were most defiantly not out.

Most alluring of all was the dance form. As with the dancing to the music of the Blues, so with tango; it was the vertical expression of a horizontal desire and no attempt was made in either case to disguise the fact.

What you might have seen on your television screens is not the way tango should be danced. All stiff legged and stylised jerky movement, they resemble clockwork penguins. Too silly, I defy you not to laugh. The real thing is probably too uncomfortably erotic. There should be a smooth fluidity in the movements to give it the necessary sensuality.

Here is an attempt to emulate that.

Many years later, my friend TheDancingGirl was trying to teach me but her legs are longer than mine and illicit entanglement ensued.

As far as I know, TangoTV no longer exists but there is this which could be a development of the idea – and this [below] could be the future, who knows?

_________________________

JD‘s profile and a list of his posts can be found in the left sidebar at this site.

10 comments for “Tango at Ten

1. September 22, 2010 at 22:19

Illicit entanglement ensued – do tell more. 🙂

2. JD
    September 22, 2010 at 22:25

shhh
    it’s a secret
    🙂

3. September 22, 2010 at 22:53

It’s the second and last clips I like the most. That girl in the second is very smooth in her movements.

4. Patrick Harris
    September 22, 2010 at 23:20

Congratulations JD, the first of many I hope.

5. MadPiper
    September 23, 2010 at 00:14

Well done!

6. September 23, 2010 at 16:52

Hi, we just started a new blog on tango history…each day we post an event that
    happened that day in tango history…it can be the birth of a famous singer,
    composer of poet, the debut of a film or the recording of a famous tango song…
    you can even search tango principles according to their sun sign

Can you help spread the word by letting your students know about it or placing
    a link on your blog…there is no advertising or money involved…we’re
    not selling anything, we simply love tango and in particular tango history…we
    welcome any suggestions…..

If you come to Rome, please let us know…we would be glad to welcome you
    and show you around; my wife and I love meeting and being with people…thanks, have a
    nice day…well here is the link http://todayintango.wordpress.com/

Oscar Wright and Maria Teresa Ruocco
    66 via ovidio
    00195 Rome, italy
    Hm 06-45437139
    Cel: 340-646-7159
    Web Site: http://www.zentangodeoscarwright.com

7. September 23, 2010 at 18:29

Gladly.

8. September 23, 2010 at 20:04

Very interesting 🙂 The lady in the second clip is very elegant.

9. JD
    September 23, 2010 at 22:31

Two very good links there Oscar, thank you.
    I will drop in often and perhaps my friend TheDancingGirl and I will come for some lessons. She doesn’t need them (she used to be a BluebellGirl) but I most assuredly do.

10. September 24, 2010 at 23:27

Thank you…do come to Rome, we enjoy people very much !