The rabid secular elite

Nice piece in the Telegraph:

This political point is worth making, since the Left, having lost the economic arguments are now channeling all their energies into “reforming” our culture, institutions, public manners and ethical norms. Ratzinger saw this coming when he was exposed to the rabid intolerance of the left-wing 68ers at Tubingen University, where according to Burleigh “campus Marxists imagined that their dogmas explained both the entirety of history and all human knowledge”.

As has been well documented since, these campus Marxists have ascended to power and influence all over western Europe, and now form the secular elites who control governments, universities and what we read, see and hear in our media. This is why the reception of Pope Benedict in this country has been so vicious, one-sidedly negative and unfriendly. They sense their worst enemy! Literally.

He’s just saying what many others, to which this blog adds its voice, have said in a different way.  These “campus Marxists” he refers to are basically the Them written about on this blog – the ones Nigel Farage got stuck into in the EP.  The secularists mock the antediluvian rigidity of the church, especially the Roman Church and take one of its more mindless policies – celibacy of clergy, which produces paedophilia and homosexuality – and try to make out that that is all the church is about.

Hell, I’m no catholic and yet it’s as clear as day that the church offers great succour to millions upon millions, without a single throat being officially slit or a single woman stoned. Here is one of these apoplectic rants at the church.

And that’s the thing – the hatred and viciousness, the bile, the spite, directed at an institution which supposedly is on its last legs.  If it’s on its last legs, then why bother?  The answer, of course, is that the message it enshrines is universal and compassionate, something the campus Marxists are trying to stamp out by any means, even to daubing the sides of buses.

You know, I would never have ever blogged about Christianity before these hate-mongers got started and now much of what I say is sheer bloodymindedness on my part – just to stick it in their craw.  They’ve actually made me more Christian and I’m beginning to think it’s a pretty good banner to carry – misunderstood, vilified, marginalized, an underdog under attack – yep, I can go with that.

And seriously – look at the mindset of those spewing the bile.  I think it says all that needs to be said.

The notion that the secularists are nice, sweet, ever-so-reasonable charmers who don’t have a religion is so far from the truth as to be ludicrous.  That’s where you find your modern day intolerants, from equality and diversity enforcement officers through to the nicey-nicey intolerance of people who won’t allow free speech or thought under any circumstances and who wish to interfere with our private lives.  Dawkins is the high priest of intolerance and religious fervour and as usual with such people, he’s severely constricted in his reasoning powers.

Misrepresentation

Just as the Tea Party was hijacked by shills masquerading as devotees, givng it the “nutter’ image, just as Christianity is seen by many as exemplified by the Koran burning [or not] pastor, just as the church has been hijacked by both virulent non-Christian fire-and-brimstoners working for the other side, just as the Conservative Party has been hijacked by the leftists, so the Roman Church has suffered the same fate.

With such a global institution, there are obviously severe issues to be resolved – no one is saying any less.  That the church will not admit its mistakes is very bad indeed.  Yet it is still the global bulwark against which the ex-campus Marxists are hurling their thunderbolts, desperately trying to break down this “superstition” in order to unleash a new holocaust – Hitler was no accident – and it is, so far, holding off the assault of radical Islam and the Shari’a state.

It is the rag tag in the Citadel in Lord of the Rings, assailed by the forces of Saruman and Mordor – on its last legs but still, somehow, continuing its ministry of succour and providing a moral beacon which people can either aspire to or not, as is their wont.

13 comments for “The rabid secular elite

1. Patrick Harris
    September 16, 2010 at 11:07

Was it not the incumbant head of the Church of England who, when taking office, was reported to have said that he did not believe in the bible?
    I also hear that at one time he was a practicing druid.
    He’s definitely Welsh.
    And so on. all meant to denigrate an institution that, as you rightly state above, brings succour to millions of people.

2. dearieme
    September 16, 2010 at 11:17

How can anyone “denigrate” an institution with such a horrible record as the Roman Catholic Church. Ugh!

3. September 16, 2010 at 11:57

Patrick, indeed and some more on the issue:

“The third responsibility of the perpetrators is to control the opposition.” [Barbara Honeger]

“The real conspirators control even the 9/11 Truth Movement.” [Dr. Morgan Reynolds]

“The best way to control the opposition is to lead it ourselves.” [Lenin]

“We will always lead our own opposition.” [Theodore Hertzl]

The most damaging agents in any movement are those who purportedly lead it but are actually deflecting people from it.

Dearieme – you say “such a horrible record” and you’re right – it has much to answer for – all monolithic institutions do. However, as we’ve just said, it has also given succour to millions. I say that as a non-Catholic.

4. MadPiper
    September 16, 2010 at 13:14

I’ve great respect for the Catholic Church, they’ve been a bulwark against the wicked cultures that permeate this world unlike other denominations. There is no twisting in the wind seeking worldly approval or relevance. Without this Church there would be no Scripture, Doctrines, or Creeds, and the West would never have developed as we know it. BTW, I am a knuckle-dragging Evangelical. 🙂

5. richard
    September 16, 2010 at 14:35

James, there is certainly an attack upon Christian values, and generally speaking this attack does not benefit the populace. I agree with your analysis of the so-called secular nicey-niceys as they are anything but, and I view them with dislike and alarm. I’m not sure about Dawkins as a high priest, he’s a bit too spiky and arrogant.

6. dearieme
    September 16, 2010 at 16:54

“Without this Church there would be no Scripture, Doctrines, or Creeds”: hold on, the RC church as a separate entity dates from long after them. It took its form in the schism of 1054.

7. mhayworth
    September 16, 2010 at 17:44

Sorry, but I see this in a completely different light. I’m traditionally right wing as are most of my friends and relatives. We are all Christian born but most are not practicing and like many others over time, I’ve lost faith in the concept of religion due to its increasingly negative effect on society and its inability to explain our existence in any logical way.

You say: ‘and it is, so far, holding off the assault of radical Islam and the Shari’a state.’

I see the Church as being one of the key reasons why we can’t hold off this assault. It is that public sector protection of religion in this country that allows the radicals to exist and continue preaching hatred of our values to their children via state funded ‘faith’ schools. These are the very schools that separate us and create so much hatred to begin with – of which Ireland is a shining example. It was the Archbishop himself who started the row over allowing some forms of Sharia Law to creep into our system (although it is already here and thriving, sadly). You see the church as protecting our Christian values and yet I see it as the very reason we will lose them entirely. We will probably never agree on this topic but it clearly has nothing to do with left wing or marxism thinking by any means.

8. September 16, 2010 at 18:32

As a happy left footer I’m enjoying the increasingly demented anti Catholic frothing of pervs and lefties…not very Catholic of me I know.

9. Patrick Harris
    September 16, 2010 at 18:44

There will now be another Thud when you hit the lower place.

10. September 16, 2010 at 21:19

My wife argues that Marxism has already visibly infiltrated Anglicanism and I’m at a loss to disagree.

Had this [your] very debate with colleagues over lunch today. It was the Muslim who was my support while the Atheists spouted an intolerant semi-Marxist bile, can’t even tell they’ve been brainwashed.

11. james wilson
    September 17, 2010 at 04:00

In America, many Protestant churches have gone leftward as their very clergy lost belief in Jesus and found it in Marx. They are (for America) old-line churches with large endowments preaching to vast empty pews. Those individuals that retained their desire to continue in a church changed affiliations.

A Christian culture that has lost its belief in the Creator but retained its sense of sin is natural prey for humanistic ideologies that are disquised forms of self-hatred.

12. September 17, 2010 at 16:42

I’ve just read your ridiculous post and of course your ‘kind’ comments about me. I think ‘bile’ is a term more appropriate to you and much of your writing, but polite fellow that I am I have refrained from saying so until now.

Whilst I can’t say I enjoyed reading your article I have today learned one more thing about the twisted nature of some people’s thought processes. Good luck to you – you will certainly need it.

13. September 17, 2010 at 18:04

Oh dear. On re-reading, it does look like I’m having a go at you, Bill but the key is in the title – the rabid secular elite and you were not in mind when I wrote that. I was focussing on things said, not the person saying them.

Wolfie, James, you are right in this and sadly, Bill is wrong.

Comments are closed.