Americana

On this Columbus Day let us celebrate some of the things that are quintessentially American. Things that are unique to the USA and exported around the world. And the rest of the world loves it.

Start with three beards plus one of the neatest cars you will ever see and a gratuitous display of legs.

Three beards? Well the clean shaven one is Beard by name, all part of the fun that is Z Z Top (or Zed Zed Top as we say in English )

The most popular spectator sport in the USA is provided by the good ‘ole boys of NASCAR. Love it or hate it but you have to admit they really do know how to put on a show. Unlike other forms of motor racing, NASCAR actually involves racing; the cars vying for the lead and the minor placings and plenty of thrills and spills along the way. The result is never a foregone conclusion and, as you can see, they do not always finish a race on four wheels.

[Vid temporarily lost, sorry]

One of my few remaining ambitions is to drive one of these cars. Ex driver Dale Jarrett offers such a thing here with a promise to allow rookies to drive at up to 165mph. One of these days I’ll have a go. Don’t know when but it will have to be soon, before I get too old.

And finally one of the USA’s finest ambassadors. Mr Edward Kennedy Ellington and his orchestra.

———————————————–
And something else to be proud of is the USA’s engineering know-how which has been a great help in the rescue of the miners in Chile.

The two drillers, Jeff Hart and Matt Staffel, with two Spanish-speaking drilling helpers, Doug Reeves and Jorge Herrera deserve the highest praise for all they have done over the past ten weeks.
_________________________

JD‘s profile and a list of his posts can be found in the left sidebar at this site.

9 comments for “Americana

1. Rossa
    October 12, 2010 at 15:49

Would love to celebrate with you JD but somehow the videos or images are missing from your post. No doubt James will sort it when he’s online again. R

2. October 12, 2010 at 16:37

I’m getting three vids.

3. October 12, 2010 at 16:40

Something you may find interesting about the NASCAR races; they originally started as friendly races between bootleggers, who used to beef up cars for transporting moonshine.

4. Patrick Harris
    October 12, 2010 at 17:33

Goody, I was beginning to feel a bit paranoid, I also have three blank spaces and have suffered the blank space syndrome for some time.

5. October 12, 2010 at 17:35

or Zed Zed Top as we say in English

We do? 🙂 I always called them Zee Zee Top. That’s one hell of a machine in the top clip.

Patrick, I know you have issues with youtube on your computer. These three are coming up fine for me. Rossa – that might be where you currently are. You’d probably get it at home.

Tell you what – JD has this way of doing it where he puts in the url and not the embedding code. I’ll take clip N2 and put the embedding code. Then, if you can see the clip, I’ll ask JD to kindly put the embedding code from thereon in.

Bob – thanks for that.

6. October 12, 2010 at 17:41

OK – try that – the NASCAR clip.

7. JD
    October 12, 2010 at 18:26

@BobG
    I think that’s why the teams are mostly located around Charlotte, NC because it was easy to hide all those moonshine stills in the backwoods there.

James
    I have tried to do the embedding but it doesn’t seem to work for me. Instruction booklet please 🙂
    apologies to Rossa and Patrick

8. Rossa
    October 12, 2010 at 19:09

They were there earlier when I commented on my post but they’ve gone again. So don’t think it’s Al’s laptop.

I can catch with them when I get back tomorrow. Off for a rose to stave off hunger. Al’s takeaway service is rubbish as always. Well he’ll get a grumpy redhead to deal with, won’t he!

Slurp….ah that’s better…chill!