Culinary Conundrum 10-12

Final 3. I expect to see some illuminating comments on my return.

What are these and what would you use them for?

Answers on a postcard please to Useless Implement Competition, Blue Peter, PO Box 123, Television Centre…

8 comments for “Culinary Conundrum 10-12

1. October 28, 2010 at 20:51

Sharpening steel? (can’t see it properly), tea infuser, cheese slice

2. MadPiper
    October 28, 2010 at 20:56

Right to left – cheese slicer, bouquet garni or tea diffuser, legal home defense device.

3. October 29, 2010 at 00:49

The left image is not clear it looks like a letter opener to me but that isn’t a kitchen device so a sharpening steel maybe..

middle pic = tea diffuser

right pic = cheese shaver

4. October 29, 2010 at 11:36

Well spotted, methinks. Perhaps Cherie is right on the left one.

5. Chuckles
    October 29, 2010 at 11:37

Random device, impossible to tell from the photo, could be a steel, a skewer, or a letter opener.

Infuser, often used for tea.

Cheese plane/cheese slicer.

6. October 31, 2010 at 00:32

What happened to my comment? Oh well never mind: The first item is not clear from the photograph but looks so like the tool used for inserting lardons into a joint of meat that I’m prepared to say that is what it is. The second device is an infuser, better used for tisanes than tea, in my experience, since tea needs a good stir, and the third device is indeed a cheese plane, as Cherie and Chuckles have written.

7. Rossa
    October 31, 2010 at 15:49

No flies on you lot.

No 1 is a ringer and yes it is a letter opener. 2nd one I call a tea egg but diffuser is right and the right one is a cheese plane.

8. October 31, 2010 at 22:10

Diffuser is wrong; infuser is right. The device is passive, not active.

The first one was cheeky, to say the least: We were led to believe that all of the photographs would be of kitchen implements. There is something rather desperate about putting up a ringer.