Still comments problems

Still having a lot of trouble over comments.  Some people have reported that when they try to comment, it gives them “comments are closed”.  I just got this myself when checking a post in preview.  And yet, if you expand the pic, you’ll see my current settings.  If any of you care to comment on this post, it will tell you if it’s back to normal or not.

UPDATE:  Calum tried to comment and couldn’t.  I found that though universal settings were allowing comments, the individual post was not.  OK, folks, try now [that’s if you’re around, of course – you might have given up on me by now or are having a Hallowe’en party]. Thanks Chuckles too.

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE:  This is awful.  By closing off comments, it went back and closed all of them off.  They have to be individually turned back on in the case of certain posts.  I now have a new system too, courtesy of my provider, this system removing old revisions and this has also affected comments.  I’m working on it.

18 comments for “Still comments problems

1. October 31, 2010 at 21:50

Just ate my last comment.

2. October 31, 2010 at 21:55

You mean one before this?

3. October 31, 2010 at 22:06

Yes, its there now so I feel much better thank you.

4. October 31, 2010 at 22:15

Thank goodness for that.

5. JD
    October 31, 2010 at 22:30

“James Higham, on October 31st, 2010 at 22:15 Said:”

the clock on my computer shows 21:29

how come you are posting from the future?

6. JD
    October 31, 2010 at 22:32

oh!
    I see that I’m posting from the future also
    huh??

7. October 31, 2010 at 22:35

Sigh. This has been a very trying day for some personal reasons as well as the blog problems. Yes, it doesn’t adjust for daylight saving and the reverse. I’ll go in now and switch it back. If my computer can do it, why can’t WordPress?

8. October 31, 2010 at 23:39

I have never had these problems with wordpress it must by the spam deleter of you choice that is causing the problem…

Or maybe the set-up of your commenting options?

9. james wilson
    November 1, 2010 at 04:24

No comment.

10. November 1, 2010 at 07:53

Cherie, the anti-spam says, as its default blurb:

Spam most people know as the unwanted commercial comments on their blog, its counterpart we call ham to indicate legitimate comments. On the mistakes side, missed spam is pretty self-explanatory, but a false positive is what it’s called when we incorrectly identify a legitimate comment as spam. (Which hopefully happens exceedingly rarely.) Also, we’re sorry about the vegetarian thing.

Now, there were 13 “ham” for October and all were in the last few days so it would seem to indicate it was the comments settings, except for two things:

1. It did the same in October and November last year and since that time, until now, there hasn’t been a major problem.

2. It lets some of your comments through but not others. Now, if you were caught in a universal setting, no comments would have appeared. Not only that, it didn’t put them in the moderation queue but straight to spam.

I’ve been fishing out spam since yesterday from regular commenters here. Yet if you enlarge that pic, you’ll see the only iffy setting is the top one: “attempt to notify”.

I’ll keep my eye on it and see if it now settles down and thanks for telling me.

11. Patrick Harris
    November 1, 2010 at 11:31

I think I am guilty of double posting, mainly because, if the post doesn’t appear immediately I assume that I have forgotten to “submit” – apologies.

12. Patrick Harris
    November 1, 2010 at 11:31

See what I mean?

13. November 1, 2010 at 18:05

I think the reason it let one of mine through and not the other is because I posted the second one (that didn’t get through) straight after the one that did. I suspect for some reason the second comment was considered as spam because I had posted it so quickly after the first. It didn’t tell me it had gone into the moderation queue either…

14. November 1, 2010 at 19:15

Could be. Seems it has to “relearn”. Not great for you and other commenters but I suppose it’s better for me that it is overexuberant than the other way round.

Thanks for your patience, Cherie.

Patrick – seems to be fine by my check just now.

15. November 1, 2010 at 19:25

working now 🙂

looks like I’ll be making the ‘across the pond’ trip in early May now…

I’ll get with you before then as it looks like I’ll be spending a weekend in England (I hope)

16. November 1, 2010 at 19:34

We’ll rig up something – our ales are good over here.

17. November 1, 2010 at 19:49

Testing.

• November 1, 2010 at 19:55

You’re in but I’ll still keep checking.

Comments are closed.