Strange creature

Cathedral Buildings in Newcastle upon Tyne is an office block dating from 1901. This is the rear entrance which faces onto St. Nicholas’ Churchyard. Above this door and its surrounding ‘exuberant’ pink and white plasterwork is a large circular window. Sitting on the keystone over the window is a strange looking creature.

Closer inspection of this beast reveals it to be….

……a Vampire Rabbit.

Nobody knows why it is there or whose idea it was or what it represents but it sits with that manic expression on its face, bloodshot eyes, bloody claws and a pair of unfeasably large teeth staring directly at the east window of the Cathedral Church of St. Nicolas.

Every commentary on the rabbit says something along the lines of ‘The presence of this rabbit does not seem to have any relationship to the quiet cloistered atmosphere of St. Nicholas’ Churchyard.’

But if nobody knows its origins then nobody can say with any certainty that it does or does not relate to the Cathedral.  Very strange.  It is currently painted black, which makes it look even more sinister.

If anybody knows the story, I would be interested in hearing it.  The architects were Oliver, Leeson and Wood. Perhaps they know the secret……………

That second image is borrowed from here, by the way, which has a couple of links with more information.

_________________________

JD‘s profile and a list of his posts can be found in the left sidebar at this site.

12 comments for “Strange creature

1. October 31, 2010 at 21:40

Could it have anything to do with Oliver Cromwell’s daughters?

2. October 31, 2010 at 21:44

Hare today, gone tomorrow!

Aside from that, no idea.

3. JD
    October 31, 2010 at 23:23

Cromwell’s daughters?
    You’ve lost me there James. What is the connection?
    Newcastle was Royalist and Sunderland, just down the coast, supported Cromwell; something to do with Charles I awarding coal shipment contracts to Newcastle and not Sunderland.

I have found a clue here-

(…he says the rabbit was painted black in 2008 but my picture was taken in 2003 so he is misinformed)

4. October 31, 2010 at 23:30

My mistake – they’re connected with St Nicholas’s Church, Chiswick. Er why could you not have taken the piccy in 2003 and then they painted it black in 2008?

5. Rossa
    November 1, 2010 at 07:12

Ahh that’s where he’s hiding. It’s the Were Rabbit. Someone tell Wallace and Gromit, they’re hunting him. Been eating all the veggies…..

6. Rossa
    November 1, 2010 at 07:13

James, I’ve been getting follow up comments sent to me even if I don’t tick the box asking for notification.

7. November 1, 2010 at 07:41

Rossa, it would help me to know – did these follow up comments come to the email associated with your blog? The reason I ask is that this box was ticked in my universal settings:

Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article.

Now even though you have just told me about it, perhaps it’s been happening to others too and that’s why I answer this publicly here. If it’s happening to others, then I suspect that that setting is the culprit.

I’ve turned it off now and let’s see what happens. By the way, was it just on this post and others where you commented or any post you’ve visited?

8. JD
    November 1, 2010 at 08:50

James
    the top picture is mine and the rabbit is black there but grey in the borrowed pic

did you notice that its ears are on back to front?

==
    I got a couple of email notices too without having ticked the box

9. Rossa
    November 1, 2010 at 16:09

Yes James, it was the email address linked to my blog. And it was comments on my posts here.

No comments have been sent to me on other posts even if I’d read them but not commented.

And no follow up ones if I’ve commented on someone else’s posts i.e the Were Rabbit

10. November 1, 2010 at 16:14

I made a change and it seems sorted now.

11. November 1, 2010 at 23:19

Looks like a hare that has been sipping some of Dr. Jekyll’s potions.

12. November 2, 2010 at 22:50