A Herd of Cats

A Herd of Cats was not my suggestion but having researched it, it has its points.  Perhaps it needs some explanation.  Feel free to explain any other suggestion you like, in comments.

Wiki says, of herding cats:

A saying that refers to a task that is extremely difficult or impossible to do, due to one or more variables being in flux and uncontrollable.

The notion of libertarians, rightwingers, anti-government pundits, anti-EUists, capitalists, freethinkers and patriots able to be herded into one blog is quite amusing.  Let’s face it – it would be a herd of cats, each wanting his or her own way.

Self-effacing, n’est-ce pas?

17 comments for “A Herd of Cats

1. Patrick Harris
    April 18, 2011 at 21:37

Difficult, you think that herding cats is difficult, try catching a cat and then try to stuff smoke up it’s arse with a fork. You can’t handle difficult.

2. April 18, 2011 at 21:45

the phrase also produced one of the best ever Superbowl ads in 2000

Herding Cats

3. Chuckles
    April 18, 2011 at 22:09

Clowder

4. April 18, 2011 at 22:42

imho it’s just not very ‘serious’ of a name for a website that hopes to be something in the big world, but then again daily kos isn’t either

5. April 18, 2011 at 22:45

This is an election crying out for AV!

Next round.

6. April 18, 2011 at 23:19

None of those names have really inspired me either yet I’m afraid. 1688 may get the plod on our door-steps!

7. April 18, 2011 at 23:51

It’s very humorous (as is Romans Go Home – which I also liked) but I tend to agree with Lord Nazh, it lacks even a small degree of gravitas.

8. April 19, 2011 at 00:10

Actually “A Herd of Cats” is not at all bad. It avoids the extremes of sententiousness and cutesiness. It projects the image of a group of independently minded writers while being sufficiently self-deprecating to suggest that the group doesn’t take itself too seriously. And it’s simple and memorable.

Cor! I think I’ve missed my métier. Perhaps I should have gone into marketing rather than the IT game.

9. April 19, 2011 at 01:54

I still like my ‘The Right Liberties’ because you guys said center(centre)-right and libertarian, but my 2nd fav has to be the Gutter Press

10. April 19, 2011 at 07:23

Irony and self-knocking won’t go down very well in the US, where what you say about yourself is taken literally. You need a title that shows no weakness.

The Repair Crew?

11. Sue
    April 19, 2011 at 08:46

I like Herd of Cats too 🙂

Not too serious (that can get really dull) but describes perfectly a team of people getting together from differing viewpoints.

12. Bill
    April 19, 2011 at 09:22

To be successful you have to offer people something they believe they want. Whether they really need it or simply think they need it is irrelevant.

You have to know your market and give them what they want.
    I’m guessing here so please feel free to shoot me down but I am assuming the market for this blog is one where people can actually see through the political scam and want to do ‘something’ about it.

Becoming part of the current ‘political scene’ and trying to change things from within will not work. If it did UKIP, BNP or the Greens would be running the country now.

Question is where are the ‘clients’?

I for one want to see the end of the state and the rise of individual freedom. I know that this would involve a culling of the current political class and period of chaos which would carry the risk of violence and deaths but I cannot see any alternative.

The current political class is the only group of humans which bites the hand that feeds it and gets away with it.

But that is me. Who are the clients this new blog is aiming to ‘power up’?

Where are they and why aren’t they powered up today?

I am not a Libertarian in so much as I don’t label myself as such. I do not believe in any religions gods so I could be called an atheist but I do not label myself as such. The current political system need labels to function. It simply has to put people into groups so the group can be attacked or supported. These groups are given labels so they can see each other.

Remember in the Life of Brian when two groups fighting the Romans turned up in the sewers and didn’t immediately recognise each other as being different?

It’s just the same with the politics game. The label is everything.

For this new blog to have any relevance for me it will have to go go beyond recording all the shit that passes for governance in this life. I am tired of reading story after story highlighting just how bad life is. I want to be reading stories of people who are instead ignoring it all and carving out a good life for themselves or are taking playing the political class at their own game with their own rules and winning.

In a blog I used to run now defunct I made progress exposing the link Common Purpose has with Cumbrian Education. I know I was making progress because they wheeled out their tame solicitors, who turned out to be really dumb people, to try and scare me into closing the blog down with some bogus libel accusations.

This action on their part proved my assessment. Common Purpose love to control exposure and when the don’t they throw their toys out of the pram.

However crucially Common Purpose are still there ‘manipulating’ the education of their future members and ultimately all I achieved was a temporary embarrassment.

Bexley is Bonkers is doing a sterling job of exposing the crooked goings on in the Borough of Bexley Heath Council and it is that sort of thing that I am looking to read more and more these days.

Apologies for rambling James.

So coming to the end of this wander through my thoughts…

If this new blog becomes ‘another Libertarian blog’ it will be lost in the morass that already exists.

If this new blog is labelled ‘Libertarian’ in any way it will never gain traction.

The reason I say this is all of my friends and contacts bar one fear liberty because they have been brainwashed into seeing liberty as being part of anarchy and chaos and TPTB constantly reinforce the lie that anarchy means violent collapse of society.

My friends don’t want liberty they want less interference that is all.

I recall many a happy day laughing at There’s Fuckall in Rockall before its authors simply walked away. They had a superb take on the politics of the day that engaged me in such a way I began to question everything I was taking for granted.

Fuckall in Rockall actually gave me great pain as it showed me that nothing I was taking for granted was true and realising that everyone ‘in authority’, everyone in the MSM, all politicians and most companies are pathological liars was a very painful lesson to learn but thanks to those writers, that site and the pain I have now unlearned enough to no longer fear authority, no longer pay attention to the MSM but the removal of the political class from my life is proving harder to achieve.

Not sure if there is a point to this rambling other than to say be sure to know your market before you spend a penny on providing it with your solution.

13. Bill
    April 19, 2011 at 09:44

James is your spam filter throwing a wobbler again?

14. April 19, 2011 at 10:11

Good name, except I am more of a dog person

15. April 19, 2011 at 10:12

Yes, Bill.

Now, Nazh and Sackers, the other comments above – we’re looking carefully at what is said. Don’t consider you’re ignored. We’re taking on board all suggestions and then will make the decisions and run with them.

The type of thing in the long comment above I’m currently reading over a coffee. Good coffee too.

OK, I’ve read it.

I agree and might I say that Longrider is the Libertarian side of the two of us and I’m the centre-right, for want of a label to identify me but with radical tendencies – like throwing all the bums out up top. i do see your point about reduction of government, not elimination.

I think, with the writers we have, that sort of micro-battle will get a lot of coverage on the blog and it might well spawn campaigns we could run at local level. The blog, if it gets traction, could then throw its weight in behind each of these little campaigns in Bexleyheath, for example or in Little Hampton on Wey or whatever.

I do agree that just doing as I’m doing at N.O. and attacking the bastards above who are already entrenched is of limited value. There needs to be local action on naughty people [e.g. CP] and the blog might well have enough clout, through its readers and their own networks of blogs, friends etc.

I imagine that Blogger X, for example, would highlight a certain problem somewhere. Once people became convinced it was a problem, then those around that local area [maybe within 15 miles] could converge and demand to see the council etc.

This sort of radicalism is a tradition in our country but more ferocious now and is the way to keep the bstds who perpetrate it on the edge of their seats. If they take out one or two of us, there are more to take their place. If the blog is shut down, there is enough grassroots to start another.

They, through control of the organs, can bring massive pressure on us constantly and from all directions but two can play at that game. We can also do that and there are far more of us.

That’s how I’m currently seeing it.

16. Revolution Harry
    April 19, 2011 at 14:10

I also see Bill’s point about reduction of government, not elimination, for the reasons he gives and perhaps a few more. I also agree that identifying the blog too closely with ‘libertarianism’ may be a hindrance, again for several reasons (one of which is that it seems to me that the line between libertarian and libertine is sometimes blurred on certain blogs).

One small observation though, shouldn’t we get out of the habit of thinking of it and calling it, ‘Government’? Words mean a lot. Wouldn’t imagining something more along the lines of a service or administration be a step in the right direction?

17. dearieme
    April 19, 2011 at 14:29

A bit late, I know, but “Girls on Bicycles” would be really good.