Ward on mass murder

John M Ward reflects on mass murder as a left-wing phenomenon:

I have occasionally mentioned that most of the world’s mass murder for a very long time (centuries at least) has been a result of left-wing (predominantly formal Communist) governments and rĂ©gimes. The Wikipedia article on this was and is useful, but I have checked out other sources, to be more solid on this for the ‘blog.

There are a number of such sources, but this one by Paul Bogdanor is a good compilation of relevant material, including a very good collection of quotations of Marx, Engels, Lenin, Trotsky and various others. Remember that most if not all senior Labour party people and many Trades Union bosses have studied one or more of those Communist leading lights, and some have admitted their leanings (including apparent “moderates” such as Alistair Darling and Alan Johnson).

In practice, there’s very little difference between Labour’s actions and those proposed by the quoted leading lights of the Left, except that we never quite got to the point of mass murder here in Britain. The planned street rioting and emergency powers to control it were definitely planned, though, and I have previously provided the clues to this and more, such as here.

A bit of investigation provides interesting corroboration for this notion.

6 comments for “Ward on mass murder

1. June 21, 2011 at 20:39

To a large extent, socialism has morphed into a kind of institutional web, the same old aims under a number of different banners. Looser in structure than old-fashioned power-hungry socialism, more moderate in its language and more difficult to deal with.

2. June 21, 2011 at 22:38

Wow, those quotes were enlightening. It’s amazing how the ‘right’ has become this thing to be constantly feared and guarded against. The difference between here and Eastern Bloc countries is that our ‘left’ are all Fabians. Same goals different tactics.

John Ward seems like a nice bloke but I can’t help feeling that the idea that Cameron is playing a canny waiting game in regards to the EU and just biding his time until he can get us out is wishful thinking. I suspect Cameron’s every bit as much in the control of the ruling elite as any of the Fabian Labour party.

3. June 22, 2011 at 08:05

Ummm.. If we are sticking to accepted definitions, then I guess the Nazies might generally be considered ‘right wing’… and I think you must agree they had a penchant for mass murder. There are other instance too..

However I am now about to trash my own argument a little. It is arguable that Fascism is basically a left wing phenominon because it sprang from Italian left wing roots…

4. Patrick Harris
    June 22, 2011 at 12:29

Sorry, I can’t get my head around responsibility for the “most” mass murders.
    Isn’t one mass murder enough? are people crying out for more mass murders, the next one even greater than the last, Is there a “mass murder” league table, a World Cup event to be acted out in arenas.
    Mass, surely, is in the eyes of the murdered. A man’s family are wiped out, his home destroyed by a “rogue” NATO “smart” bomb, the same fate has been perpetrated on 5 or 6 of his erstwhile neighbours.
    What number constitutes a mass – 7000 Shrebrenika,
    100 Me lai, 6 Cumbria, 6 million, Millions (unknown) Rwanda?
    Please don’t encourage the wicked people of this world to compete for the title Champion Mass Murderer.
    They are doing quite nicely as it is.

5. June 23, 2011 at 05:04

I was recently involved in a discussion in which some people claimed that mass murder (and other evils, like war, child rape, witch beating, the stoning of women, the murder of homosexuals) was caused by religion. Now this Ward fellow claims that it is caused by left-wing political views.

I don’t but it.

One could justifiably point a finger at religions and political ideologies call into question their claimed ability to cure the evils in the world, but claiming they are responsible for them is self-serving self delusion.

6. June 23, 2011 at 11:58

Steve, your point will be answered in the next few days in a series of posts on the damage done by left-wing thinking – not my text, by the way.