Good always triumphs over evil

This came to me via one of those chain letter emails and it made me stop and think.  Perhaps I am late in learning about this story but, even so, it cannot be re-told often enough.

Irena Sendler, a Catholic social worker, rescued 2,500 children from the Nazi death camps.

In 2007 she was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Did she win? Of course not, some trivial nonsense about global warming was deemed to be more important and the ego of a failed politician was more deserving.

During WWII, Irena, got permission to work in the Warsaw ghetto, as a Plumbing/Sewer specialist.  She had an ‘ulterior motive’. She KNEW what the Nazi’s plans were for the Jews

Irena smuggled infants out in the bottom of the tool box she carried and she also carried in the back of her truck a burlap sack, (for larger kids).  She also had a dog in the back that she trained to bark when the Nazi soldiers let her in and out of the ghetto. The soldiers of course wanted nothing to do with the dog and the barking covered the kids/infants noises.

During her time of doing this, she managed to smuggle out and save 2500 kids/infants.  She was caught, and the Nazi’s broke both her legs, arms and beat her severely.

Irena kept a record of the names of all the kids she smuggled out and kept those records in a glass jar, buried under an apple tree in her back yard.

After the war, she tried to locate any parents that may have survived it and reunited the family.  Most had been gassed. Those kids she helped got placed into foster family homes or adopted.

In 2001 her story was discovered by students at Uniontown High School, Uniontown, Kansas.

The students travelled to Poland to meet Irene Sendler and asked about what she had done.  ‘A hero is someone doing extraordinary things,’ she told them. ‘What I did was not extraordinary. It was a normal thing to do.’

7 Responses to “Good always triumphs over evil”

1. A K Haart February 15, 2012 at 09:08 Permalink

I had that email too. An extraordinary and heroic lady.

2. James Higham February 15, 2012 at 10:48 Permalink

I never got it. What does that say?

3. Moggsy February 15, 2012 at 12:46 Permalink

James,

The email is probably getting some details wrong, but not the spirit.

4. JD February 15, 2012 at 14:39 Permalink

Moggsy-
    the first link says “investigation pending”
    That was four years ago……… and no follow up?

I did quite a lot of searching into the story otherwise I would not have posted it. :)

5. Moggsy February 15, 2012 at 16:59 Permalink

Did I say it wasn’t real? Nooo.

I put that link because it had the text of the email that James said “I never got it. What does that say?” about so he could read it.

And the other link for the full story that is somehow braver and better than the email.

6. CherryPie February 15, 2012 at 23:18 Permalink

A true hero always underestimates what they have achieved. That is the nature of things.

Only a few people are able to stand up to the courage of their belief and do the right thing in difficult situations. those people think it is natural and easy to do so. Others are not strong enough to take that path.

The few who tread that different path and lead to amazing!!

7. CherryPie February 15, 2012 at 23:19 Permalink

PS:

Good always triumphs over evil. It is the nature of things ;-)