Growing up politically

Cheers, Sackers – nicely put by a would-be-radical:

This was the beginning of the end of my belief in The Guardian. Ever afterwards, I was wary of the innate bigotry of some of its journalists. Having already developed a healthy disbelief in Murdoch’s Times, I suppose one can trace the genealogy of my current opinions from this point. During the early 1970s, I grew up in all manner of ways.

In the soil of this poisonous harvest was the weed of Thatcherism able to thrive. Millions of people like me – holders of a candle for the unfortunate – got utterly fed up with Lambeth’s nuclear-free zones and fraternal greetings to Moscow, but no grit on winter’s icy roads. We all became pissed off with the liberal press inventing the fascist police State where there appeared to be only frightened coppers being brutalised by their experiences. Blokes like me – keen for female equality – found ourselves tired of apologising for having a dick.

There is a dimension of the Left-liberal mindset still stuck in that 1972 of my memory. Unfortunately, it has wrested back control of the Labour Party from the Mandelson-Blair drivel of 1997-2010. This – and the wandering cream wallpaper of LibDemism – has left constructive radicals like me with nowhere to go. Worse still, it provides no effective resistance to the amoral opportunism of Camerlot. But without this bitter learning experience, I wouldn’t have moved on to a fuller understanding of how things really need to change.

Sounds like he grew up in the same way I did but eventually found himself without a party, without representation and without a voice.  The galling part for those who care is that caring was hijacked long ago by the uncaring – the Moscow lovers, sleazebags like the Alinskys and Marcuses, by the Guardianisti, the feminazis and so on.

Some of us would like to care, would like to see the unfortunate supported and taken care of, we’re not cold, heartless bastards but we do see the other side of it too – the feckless, the lazy couch potatoes, the benefits scammers – and we’re always misrepresented but that’s by the by.

There’s an area of politics in the centre which no political group has truly captured yet – it contains the swinging voter, the malcontents, the thinkers-for-themselves, the caring who don’t wish to be railroaded down Guardianisti paths, it contains those who believe in industry, it’s against state theft of private assets someone’s spent a lifetime saving.

It has no voice except, to an extent, Ron Paul and UKIP but can differ radically from them on many issues.

It’s for the politically grown-up who think for themselves.  The softly spoken Sackers sees this as a reason why bloggers are giving up all over the place:

I think bloggers are giving up because in terms of response, half the time it’s as though the telephone line has been cut, and the rest of the time it’s 10% spam and 70% malevolent crapheads.

It’s for the politically grown-up who think for themselves.

12 comments for “Growing up politically

1. February 7, 2012 at 11:08

Good post. Agree with every word – nothing to add.

2. February 7, 2012 at 13:33

I can associate very much with this post

3. February 7, 2012 at 15:55

Oddly, for once James, I agree too.
    Many people on the two main political “sides” on both sides of the pond, have a cartoon-like image of their opponents wedged into their consciousness. Many see politics in the same light as some weird sport, so one must choose a side.
    Then – one’s chosen side CAN DO NO WRONG, the opponents CAN DO NOTHING RIGHT. All too black and white!

4. February 7, 2012 at 17:01

Good to hear, lads.

Oddly, for once James, I agree too.

Must be the configuration of the stars at this time … 🙂

5. February 7, 2012 at 17:41

Agreed,

(H/T Autonomous Mind)

6. February 8, 2012 at 09:02

Wow. I can’t think of anything here I disagree with at all.

7. February 8, 2012 at 09:10

One thing maybe…

Boys you never need to apologise for having a you know what. Just if you are ever a you know what head to women ^_^

8. February 8, 2012 at 10:33

Just if you are ever a you know what head to women ^_^

Your compassion and sweetness makes me cry, Moggsy. Drip, drip, drip go those tears.

9. February 8, 2012 at 11:17

I Just knew it would… Sweetness, compassion, what else could you expect?

I put in ‘women’ because the posts subtext had ‘women’ in it I could see it just invisibly sitting there… and boys ‘cos they have the equipment under discussion.

It works just as well in “you never need to apologise for having a you know what. Just if you are ever a you know what head.”

10. February 8, 2012 at 20:39

I could see it just invisibly sitting there

Not code for “I read it into the text myself”?

11. February 9, 2012 at 07:00

I read it into the text because it was talking about apologising for, as I thought I made clear, having a specifically male thing a D###.

Now why would any guy feel like apologising to other guys? He wouldn’t would he? If you are honest.

Maybe compete for size ^_^ but not apologise except maybe (in a low voice) “Oh Sorry guys for making you all feel so inadequate comapred to me. Har har.”

So he had to be talking about feeling apologetic, or maybe having to justify himself as a good guy, to *women* because of the ‘political?’ atmosphere.

But you must know that perfectly well, so why do I even bother spelling it out?

12. February 9, 2012 at 07:10