Titanic an apt name for this Belfast monstrosity

Let’s face it – PoMo is at best ostentatious, as in “looky here how clever I’ve been, dahling” and at its worst, is vile or an eyesore of brainhurting proportions.

PoMo is the absence of style and talent in the pursuit of thrill and shock, not to mention awe.  And so the Belfast Titanic arises from the landscape to inflict yet more white noise on an already overcrowded landscape of ugliness.  it’s what happens when techies get to do design.

Look at that lower photo,  the slab on the side of the building – is that beautiful?  Aaaaaaaggggghhhh!!!!!!!

As Chuckles rightly comments: “The perfect government scheme, a bit like the millenium dome? Tacky doesn’t even begin to describe it.  The Titanic was a disaster. Belfast is a s***h*le.   Why would one go to one to see the other?   And what type of person thinks that this would attract tourists to the place?”

I greatly fear, Chuckles, that it would attract a certain type of modern person.  That in itself would be a tragedy.

Glaring, jangling, discordant, harsh, soulless, sad, corrosive to the human spirit – deepest apologies to readers who’ve come to expect at least a certain pleasantness in the images presented for their delectation.

[H/T Chuckles]

8 Responses to “Titanic an apt name for this Belfast monstrosity”

1. lordsomber March 14, 2012 at 15:33 Permalink

Obviously it’s a monument to the iceberg and not the ship.

2. macheath March 14, 2012 at 15:51 Permalink

..’a monument to the iceberg…’

and thus in very poor taste, as well as hideous.

On the other hand, the self-styled ‘World’s largest Titanic visitor experience’ complete with conference and banqueting facilities is probably not angling for the custom of the likes of you or me – my guess is that it will aim to provide a pseudo-significant justification for a massive vicarious wallow in tragedy on a grand scale.

What price human dignity these days?

3. Barking Spider March 14, 2012 at 16:32 Permalink

Yep – looks just like something soviet Labour would build – a complete and utter piece of s**t and an ugly blot on the landscape.

4. dan March 14, 2012 at 17:17 Permalink

Really, you need to fly over to Belfast and admire it up close. Your photos and commentary really dont convey just how ugly the place is.
    Its a true world class eyesore.

5. Woodsy42 March 14, 2012 at 17:21 Permalink

And what’s with the big stencil?

6. James Higham March 14, 2012 at 18:56 Permalink

The more I look at it, the more I wonder at the artistic ineptitude, at the “look at me – it’s cool and modern what I’ve done”.

7. Chuckles March 14, 2012 at 19:02 Permalink

James,

No it’s what happens when bureaucrats, box-tickers and committees get to do design.

8. CherryPie March 14, 2012 at 21:32 Permalink

I do have to confess to liking some of these modern structures in some settings.

But this one is just crass, I can’t see anything appealing about it!