Cats [1]

This is a series of haiku/JH posts:

I think one reason we admire cats, those of us who do, is their proficiency in oneupmanship. They always seem to come out on top, no matter what they’re doing – or pretend to do. Rarely do you see a cat discomfited. They have no conscience and they never regret. Maybe we secretly envy them. [Barbara Webster: Creatures and Contentments]

Four cat blogs:

Pavlov’s Cat
Jams O’Donnell
Longrider
Caedmon’s Cat

8 Responses to “Cats [1]”

1. The Underdoug June 17, 2012 at 20:50 Permalink

I’m reminded of the quote attributed to Winston Churchill:

“I like pigs:
    Dogs look up to you,
    Cats look down on you,
    Pigs treat you as equals.”

I have certainly found the attitude of cats to humans as that of superior to inferior creatures.

2. CIngram June 17, 2012 at 22:46 Permalink

Despite growing up in a house with 20 cats (don’t ask) I neither love them nor hate them. I admire their effortless superiority, but it makes them very difficult to get on with.

I’m a hedgehog man, in any case, of course.

3. James Higham June 18, 2012 at 06:12 Permalink

UD – I quite like that they can manage themselves and aren’t always underfoot or barking but this is perhaps a reaction to the dog next door here which never stops howling. They’ll come for a cuddle too more often than not, at a time they decide.

On the other hand, why can’t a cat just sit there without having to dig the claws in as if we’re claw-sharpening posts? And there’s not much furniture left after a while and they’ll wee everywhere but apart from that, they’re great mousers.

CI – hedgehogs eh?

4. Caedmon's Cat June 18, 2012 at 08:52 Permalink

Her’s another cat for your list…

5. Twilight June 18, 2012 at 19:04 Permalink

LOL! And Simon’s Cats are fun too. Here’s a link to one short video, there are lots more in the YouTube side bar near it.

6. CherryPie June 18, 2012 at 23:07 Permalink

There were lots of cats sitting on windowsills when I was on my hols. You could bet within a few moments of me pointing my camera in their direction they turned tail and went inside. If the window wasn’t open they just turned their back on me!!

7. ubermouth June 19, 2012 at 03:40 Permalink

Not all cats wee where they like. Mine is so clean he won’t go in his litter tray if is is messy[as in not freshly cleaned out].He’s always washing his paws too. He has OCD, I think.

8. Ola! Nourishingobscurity,
    Thanks for that, I thought I would share my views on a black cat bringing bad luck. This cat has always been portrayed as a mysterious animal. Due to it’s reputation as a bad omen, the cat has a lesser chance of being adopted at an animal shelter.
    Cheers