Olympics – couldn’t possibly comment …

… as I don’t have a TV.   However, a reader sent this to me:

Just had an hour or so of showcasing medal winning athletes, all blacks, asians female etc anything but pale and male.   Now being given an extended harangue on the history of wimmin in the Olympics, and how they were cruelly excluded by the male hegemony, all delivered by fat ladies in sensible shoes.

Flashback to the stadium farm, closeups of the geese and cows.

Now at OoL [Saturday morning]:

Opening ceremony seems to reinforce political divide

10 Responses to “Olympics – couldn’t possibly comment …”

1. A K Haart July 27, 2012 at 22:22 Permalink

“… as I don’t have a TV. ”

You aren’t missing much believe me.

2. Ian Hills July 27, 2012 at 23:05 Permalink

Yup, TV Olympics coverage is pure propaganda.

3. Retro July 27, 2012 at 23:17 Permalink

Not forgetting of course that we’re “all one.”
    “All part of the world wide family of man and all equal without exception.” Cos it’s the law now innit.

4. Mark in Mayenne July 28, 2012 at 07:23 Permalink

Someone eventually got round to inventing a special wimmin’s category for those of us who are “differently able” in the sporting field.

5. wiggiatlarge July 28, 2012 at 09:36 Permalink

Didn’t really expect much different from Danny Boyle, the only plus was exceptional lighting effects, the minus’s far to long far to much self indulgent PC twaddle seemed every other person was either black or in a wheelchair and what was that NHS rubbish I was with the Queen on this and got bored but I had the advantage of being able to go to bed early.
    Still like the news yesterdays news is todays fish and chip paper this will soon be forgotten.

6. Wolfie July 28, 2012 at 10:04 Permalink

I think it was made quite clear that this is the “New Labour” Olympics.

7. JD July 28, 2012 at 11:21 Permalink

Ah, the Spirit of 1968. The entire contingent of American Olympians came out wearing the uniform headgear of the Black Power movement.

8. CherryPie July 28, 2012 at 22:11 Permalink

I have no interest in sport but I was out visiting and watched the ceremony which I wouldn’t otherwise of watched.

I think everyone must have been watching a different ceremony than I was…

I found (and so did everyone else I asked) that it covered our history, literature, art, music, film etc In a very quaint (clever) English way. The NHS part was a little lengthy and as natives of this country we could take that to be a political statement (we know it is broken etc). But we are one of the few countries that has an NHS and we currently don’t have to pay insurance to get health care. That is something to celebrate.

And why would anyone expect to see all white faces in the parade of the nations taking part? The whole point it is different nations taking part. Maybe folks didn’t stop up to see the sea of white faces as the host nation finished the parade…

9. James Higham July 28, 2012 at 22:37 Permalink

You do appear to have been watching a very different one, Cherie. ;-)

10. Moggsy July 29, 2012 at 06:51 Permalink

All those black and asian rowers, sailors and cyclists and divers and swimmers… umm.. not.

Yawn! Oh Dear… They are allowing women in the olympics now, how unfair! But they don’t actually compete with the poor hard done by guys so maybe it is no biggie after all? Men are still allowed to compete in some events I think…

Maybe what was sent you says way more about what shade of glasses the sender (and maybe you for posting it?) were looking at the world thru?

I agree many of the track athletes from many countries are “black” but my bet is they are there because they can run faster not because of any ‘afirmative action’.

I agree with cherry the NHS stuff did go on some, and for me was showing an idealised past and maybe about as realistic as Mary Poppins.