Blame anyone but yourself

I can’t keep up with all these golds:

Well done, ladies!   Just rewatching it now – oh my goodness – cue cognitive dissonance!   Who is the only team giving GB a hard time?   Plus they’re rather pretty, those Australians – unusual:

Wow!   Australia never gives up, never and are at their most dangerous as underdogs.   The British are muddlers as a rule but if there’s a job to be done, they go and do it and no one stands in their way.   And look at others around the world – the Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders and half of the South Africans.

[By the way, another I'm keenly following in these games is Logan Tom - bet most of you don't know who she is.  :) ]

Anyway, to this evening’s topic:

………..

Jessica Varnish, poor thing

Some time back, I was sent a pic [for the Wimmin on Bicycles series] of some sinewy, scrawny, hard specimen in her birthday suit on a bicycle and remember thinking: ‘What a tramp – put your clothes back on, dear.’

There was something not nice about her manner either and Dr. Fell sprang to mind.   The pic was deleted and thought about no more.

Yesterday came the disqualification of the cyclists and the more one reads up on it, then despite the draconian rules, the disqualification was right, Pendelton was at fault.   So was the Chinese disqualification right within the rules as laid down and strongly communicated to every team and every rider.

Might have been better running

Then I read this Pendleton’s explanation and thought OMG:

“It happens so quickly when you are full speed in a team sprint. Jess moves up and that’s my cue to take over but it was a metre or so too early, unfortunately,” said Pendleton. “It was on the change. Jess got stuck a bit on the start and perhaps it put her a little bit on edge and perhaps she was trying to make up for the difference she lost. Maybe she judged the straight a bit wrong and I just saw the gap and just went for it because that’s my cue.”

This woman is making a mealy-mouthed attempt at half accepting blame but in reality laying it on her partner – as clear a case of what I’ve been going on about for a long time as you’d hope not to see.

Looking at the comments section, someone had written that perhaps if she’d bothered learning the rules instead of concentrating on nude photoshoots and a media career, she’d be better off.

Still the penny didn’t drop.   Who the hell was this woman?   Then I read that she’d had an affair with her coach – fast and loose, this lady, it seems.

So to google images to check out some shots of her and OMG – there it was in monochrome -  it was the same hard case mentioned at the top.    So that’s who this  Victoria Pendleton is.

Yuk.

Went back to the report and it appears that that was her partner’s one shot at gold, whereas this Pendleton gets two more shots at the gold, so she’d not fussed.    And she blames that partner.    Nice person.   And then I saw a shot of her all tearful on some teammate’s shoulder and vowing to ‘avenge’ the mistake they both made.

Obviously it would be nice to have more gold for GB and yours truly will politely clap if she wins but – not sure if I like this person very much.    In fact, she can be relegated to Room 101 with Trinny Wherewithal and other nasties.

…………

Ok. she won and well done to her.   Here’s a polite handclap.   Still don’t like her.

…………

And more on the concept of a woman taking the blame for something she does wrong:

Kristen Stewart ‘only to blame’ for Robert Pattinson split after affair

………..

Now here’s another one: “Olympic ‘gatecrasher’ Maghura Nagendra says she is sorry”.

Phew – at last a woman accepts the blame.

Until you hear her. The whole of that rambling “interview”, her point was that she didn’t know, until she returned after she’d done it, that so many people had posted on Facebook and Twitter about her – so many people saying such terrible things, “so many pages about me”.

Interviewed by a woman, she is then asked that, when she sees such terrible things said about her, does that hurt?

“Yes it does.” At this point I want to shake her and say: “Hey, this has all been about the terrible things done to you – where is YOUR understanding that YOU did terrible things to your nation, in your nation’s eyes, hence the Twitter and Facebook deluge?”

The interviewer sure wasn’t going to pin her down.   In fact, it call now centres around her being famous.

She goes on about being the “mystery girl”. “Yes, the mystery girl has now effectively been revealed now.”

Still no effing apology, still no taking responsibility for her actions.

“Everyone knows that I am a girl, a proud woman of India, with a lot of power … so I was actually taken aback, seeing all the comments,” her main preoccupation again.

“I hope to be forgiven.”

Hallelujah!!!!!!! An acknowledgement, an acknowledgement.

“… as an incident.” Ah, playing down what she did again. “But my courage I wanna move forward and do wonders in my country.”

WTF?    Is she not meant to be there to apologize and accept her fault, for crying out loud?

So – two-thirds of the way in, she finally makes reference to the “incident” and then starts going on about how strong she is and about doing wonders for her country.

Are you seeing the same thing I am?

She finishes with: “I stick to my words that I really do something great and make my country proud.”

OK, let’s check that list again:

1. Acknowledging that what she did was wrong. FAIL
2. Being sorry for it. FAIL
3. Issuing an apology. FAIL
4. Saying what she’s going to do to try to repair the situation. PARTLY CHECKED but only in terms of how great she is going to be.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what I mean when I say that a female is pathologically incapable of admitting she does wrong. In fact, this has become almost as interesting as parachutee watching – stay tuned as more examples arise down the track.

And no – men do not do it in quite that way. It’s something deep inside the female psyche which causes that particular pathological manifestation.

12 Responses to “Blame anyone but yourself”

1. wiggiatlarge August 3, 2012 at 20:54 Permalink

I’m not going to get drawn on the Pendleton/Varnish race , but the team pursuit is timed to the third rider so you can afford to lose a rider at any point in the event sometimes from having given there all or tactically by putting an extra stint at the front before dropping out, as to the Australian effort, for them it was a poor ride not only did they lose a man because he was physically spent but they almost lost another for the same reason, they are a great team hence finishing second if the team had stayed together as in the final they still didn’t win so it is irrelevant.
    As for Pendleton I hope despite your misgivings James that she wins the sprint final she when she first appeared on the international stage was useless at that level couldn’t do many of the things necessary to go further and as her coach said didn’t have the build ie the brick s…….e look of the east europeans and Aussie competitors, she subsequently became the best female sprinter of her and all the previous generations i’ve seen (and thats a lot) despite the fact I believe she has found certain aspects of it difficult as she is not a secure person and needs support in certain areas (dont we all) so although not certain I hope she pulls down the curtain on a fabulous career with a final victory, I could but not this time give my feelings as to Jessica Varnish and her one shot of glory and it has nothing to do with Pendleton but the system.

2. Euro Expat August 3, 2012 at 23:40 Permalink

LOL. Absolutely CORRECT about Maghura Nagendra! The woman is a megalomanic in the making. A nothing who is clueless. No, I take that back. She was not clueless. She knew exactly what she was doing and probably hoped in her tiny vain mind that someone would say, “Oh, who is that beautiful Indian woman walking in front of the Olympic Team.” Sorry, honey, but it backfired and the more you open your mouth with your non-apology and horrible English, the dumber you look.

3. Moggsy August 4, 2012 at 05:35 Permalink

I read where you say “She is blaming her partner” and I read her explanation and you know the two don’t match up to me at all. You will say well I would say that. But I just think you read things wrong that make perfect sense.

She is explaining that she is trained to “automatically” do certain things at certain cues. Do them without thinking about them. She is saying that in this case she messed up because she followed a cue set up in training that came up in a way that is rare or never expected. So her reponding to it messed things up.

In other words she was not trying to cheat and would never have done it intentionally.

I don’t think you are being fair in your comment.

4. James Higham August 4, 2012 at 06:22 Permalink

Moggsy, she tried to shift the blame – it’s a known phenomenon and it is very strong in the female. Post in the pipeline – have to decide if it’s worth the hassle.

5. Mark in Mayenne August 4, 2012 at 07:19 Permalink

Yes, post it please.

6. Rossa August 4, 2012 at 07:44 Permalink

I don’t agree that Vicky tried to shift the blame. That was her explanation of what happened. As Boardman made clear last night, the rule is ambiguous. The commissar had been at the World cup in March and had laid down his intepretation of the rules. And that is what caught them out. It wasn’t just Vicky’s move too early it was Jess drifting up the track as well. So it wasn’t just her fault, it was both of them.

And she didn’t have an affair with Scott. Both were single are now engaged and are getting married after the Games. Yes, it may well have been unprofessional and she took a lot of flak for it but as he said on the film they knew there would be consequences. And he lost his career in cycling because of it. Obviously he was prepared to do that because he considered his relationship with Vicky to be more important. Good for him. You don’t get to choose who you fall in love with and it has stood the test of time. And he’s back in cycling now that people realise that. Paid the price, now leave them alone.

As for her posing naked or whatever, so what. Lots of female athletes do the same. The female tennis players have shown off their ‘assets’ for years. And this year there have been plenty of nude shots of the men as well. You may not approve of the ‘poster girl’ aspect but it seems to be part of the marketing mix to get more interest in the sport.

7. Rossa August 4, 2012 at 07:50 Permalink

One of the Aussie girls (the one on the right in your picture) is going for the single sculls and there was a suggestion that she was happy to go for the silver medal to save herself for today’s event.

8. Moggsy August 4, 2012 at 07:52 Permalink

No James.. You are _suggesting_ she tried to shift the blame. That is not the same thing at all. You confuse how you see things with how they are. You _interpret_ that as shifting the blame.

It _is_ a known phenomenon… and can be seen in males and females.

But in my experience, not being mean, more in males than in females, I think maybe cos males seem to have more ego tied up in being “right”. And in my experience males often expect to be right over females, for no better reason than they are male.

You don’t really say how you think I am misinterpreting. I don’t really get why you can think she shifts the blame, based on the actual words.

I put how I interpret he words already in my last comment. I still think my interprestaion is more accurate.

9. James Higham August 4, 2012 at 18:13 Permalink

Moggsy – sigh – there’s my case in one. QED.

Rossa – it was low, she’s low. Compare her as a role model for young girls to Jessica Ennis.

10. Rossa August 5, 2012 at 07:11 Permalink

Sorry James but I have no problem with Vicky as a role model for young women. Yes she can be over emotional but so what. And she has broken the mould, like Usain Bolt has, to show that you don’t have to be a certain body shape to win in cycling (or on the track).

And lots of relationships start at work which is where more people meet than anywhere else. It ain’t a crime to be in love.

As for the media coverage, I think it is more a case of the women being a lot more successful this time around than in the past. Where we may have got a gold or two, now a lot more of the ladies are winning in their chosen sport. Some, as you have said, are doing it without support and even more are truly putting in the work needed to achieve gold. So why shouldn’t this be celebrated? It hardly takes away from the men’s achievements. I would say it enhances it.

11. James Higham August 5, 2012 at 08:18 Permalink

It hardly takes away from the men’s achievements. I would say it enhances it.

You’re writing about what actually has been happening, in reality. What I have been writing about is something different – the way it has been seized upon by misandrists and plenty of others, e.g. Them, as a symbol of something it was never meant to be.

Women have not led the Olympics at all – they have done as you yourself put it:

Amen, yes it certainly is and long may it continue. You know, above all people, how I’ve spent a lifetime supporting and boosting girls so that’s the camp I’m writing from. To see a woman flourish is wonderful but it’s also good to see a boy flourish – he can be just as full of fears and lack of confidence. Bringing people out of themselves is the ultimate satisfaction, on top of what we ourselves might have achieved.

It does come down to perspective – and you have that – but these other misandrists, hijacking it for their own ends, unfortunately rule the roost at this time.

12. Moggsy August 5, 2012 at 14:23 Permalink

James, It can’t only be me notices if you want to avoid loosing arguments get all patronising like that. OK you can’t refute it, no biggie.