Why is the U.S. stockpiling ammo?

Rossa picked up, on August 17th, on George Ure who has picked up on the US govt buying a billion rounds of ammunition for Homeland Security, ICE, Capitol police and other government depts.

She comments:

That’s 3 for every man, woman and child in America. You can buy a lot of bullets for over 4 million dollars like this:

I wonder how many the British Govt has stockpiled?

I asked if she thought a major event was presaged:

Well it is a lot of ammo to keep domestically and why arm officials in the weather service? Even saw it mentioned on zerohedge on the piece by Brandon Smith about resisting tyranny. Clear sign of the desperation to maintain control and the fear of the population once things get a lot worse. And their people are armed so a civil war will be very bloody.

On August 18th, she added:

This ammunition story is spreading. Here’s a report about 174,000 bullets for social security agents (imagine job centre staff all armed!).

They have 295 agents which means they’ve ordered 589 for each agent…..WTF do they want so many?

As a comparison the Canadian Mounted Police use 12 rounds a year each and that’s just to maintain their gun licences.

On August 19th, she further wondered:

What would be the target of these 174, 000 rounds of hollow point bullets? It can’t simply be to control demonstrators or rioters. Hollow point bullets are so lethal that the Geneva Convention does not allow their use on the battle field in time of war. Hollow point bullets don’t just stop or hurt people, they penetrate the body, spread out, fragment and cause maximum damage to the body’s organs. Death often follows.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/17/who-does-the-government-intend-to-shoot/#ixzz244CDfEJM

As that lady is usually on the money, it might be well worth looking into this one.  My immediate questions are:

1.  Is that really a lot of ammunition per person, given how much is needed in combat and

2.  If it is a lot, then as Rossa asks, what sorts of events are they anticipating in the near future?

13 Responses to “Why is the U.S. stockpiling ammo?”

1. SadButMadLad August 21, 2012 at 11:38 Permalink

It does seem a high number of bullets. But I put it down to mismanagement, possibly some favours, and just spending someone else’s money for someone else rather than conspiracy.

In the case of the weather service I think that was covered at WUWT and it was done to clerical error.

A large number could be used purely for training. Yes, they could use normal ones rather than hollow point, but again, I would side with crap management and people not caring or knowing what they are buying because it’s not their money. Do the Canadians really use just 12 per year. So when they go for training, fire one bullet a month. I would have thought they would fire quite a few off as they warm up, and then practice their aiming. Or is that 12 on average during actual work on the streets.

And why are hollow points used. Mainly because urban areas are not battlefields. There are a lot of other people around and you wouldn’t want a bullet going through someone and hitting an innocent bystander. As for Geneva Convention, it like many other legal documents is dreamt up by people who have very little experience of the subject they are legislating over. War is always nasty, trying to make it otherwise by pieces of paper doesn’t work. It never stops rogue states from ignoring the convention.

2. Robert the Biker August 21, 2012 at 11:41 Permalink

It sounds like a bit of a panic move to me; someone fears upsets if (when)YoMama loses in November and knows the police would be overwhelmed by any major event. Problem is, do they really think that armed DVLA agents would be a match for rioters or even someone who is peaceful and law abiding but goes hunting every year or spends time down the range?

3. James Higham August 21, 2012 at 12:22 Permalink

Whatever it is, people will now be looking out for this …

… or will they?

4. dearieme August 21, 2012 at 12:32 Permalink

“Is that really a lot of ammunition per person, given how much is needed in combat”: wrong question. “Is that really a lot of ammunition per person, given how much is needed in training”: right question. Americans are very keen to get their people to the shooting range regularly. Probably wise of them.

5. Sackerson August 21, 2012 at 13:17 Permalink

Divide by maybe 50,000 to get the number of kills:

… = c. 20,000 – hardly more than NHS patients killed by dehydration, I suppose.

6. James Higham August 21, 2012 at 13:30 Permalink

And they’re exporting the NHS worldwide – our gift to the earth.

7. ubermouth August 21, 2012 at 15:24 Permalink

Americans are also secretly stockpiling cheap, plastic coffins -enough to bury milions of people-and won’t explain what they are for,either.

Sorry, James, I don’t know how to do a hyperlink:

Also, they are now stockpiling food.

8. andy5759 August 21, 2012 at 17:39 Permalink

“And they’re exporting the NHS worldwide – our gift to the earth.”

Yes, the gift that just keeps on taking.

9. Twilight August 21, 2012 at 20:41 Permalink

These reports: of massive stocks of ammunition, coffins- and strange detention centres come up regularly. Probably true, and there’s also a fairly reasonable explanation….or one the govt. has concocted to keep the Unwashed from trembling.
    Bullets – training (as mentioned), unexpected terrorist endeavours, popular revolt.
    Coffins: pandemics (avian ‘flu and suchlike) and as above.
    Detention centers: any or all of above.

Or maybe even alien invasion – stranger things are happening every day….little would be unbelievable now.

Re NHS mentioned in comments: I do remember how even I used to criticise the NHS – I understand how you feel, living there, cocooned in the knowledge that you will not be getting a bill for 50,000 pounds or so for an unexpected operation necessary to save your life.

Now that I’ve seen and experienced the health care system here, run by insurance corporations – I take back every criticism I ever made of the NHS. I count myself lucky to have been born inthe UK and to have lived there for so long. I don’t expect you to understand though – I didn’t until I became involved here myself.

10. James Higham August 21, 2012 at 21:30 Permalink

It needs to be kept an eye on. Forewarned is forearmed.

11. Greg Tingey August 22, 2012 at 08:51 Permalink

NHS
    IS consideraby BETTER than the US non-healthcare “system” they have at present.
    Tell me: Canada, Australia, NZ, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden (pehaps), Finland etc … even Singapore have a form of “NHS” (each with its’ own variations of course)

Why – please explain how the US system is good and all of ours is so bad?

Or are you just off in la-la land?

12. Churchmouse August 23, 2012 at 09:08 Permalink

Hi, James — Thanks for publicising this in the UK. The stockpile plan has been making the rounds of the conservative blogosphere for a few weeks now. The American people are aware of it.