Death on the Norfolk Broads

Bodies of couple found as girl, 13, left alone on rented boat on Norfolk Broads

Indeed uncanny.  Boat tethered to tree in secluded part of broads.  Daughter unharmed, seemingly not distraught, boat overdue.  Bodies of both parents found in the water, no alarm given.  You could say alarm not possible from that marshland, what about mobile phone every kid has?  Out of range?

Imagination can run wild in these situations – my first thought was not some pact of the adults or even an accident but more along these lines.   No justification for thinking that of course.  Just that 13 is quite sentient, the outside influences on kids now are frightening.

The explanation doing the rounds of the local area is that one parent went off somehow and the other followed later when he didn’t return.  Daughter was told to wait.   Can’t see it because there was no path, it was secluded and marshy – they’d have moored where a path led away from.

22 Responses to “Death on the Norfolk Broads”

1. Moggsy September 3, 2012 at 06:40 Permalink

I was wondering what happened/how it happened, but just don’t figure I have enough information to make any sensible speculations. I wondered if they fell in or got lost. Would the daughteer know how to move the boat? or want to in case they came back. Who knows what signal there might be?

2. dearieme September 3, 2012 at 08:50 Permalink

When we had a Broads holiday, my parents would moor the cruiser so that they had a short stroll to a pub, and we’d sail the dinghy around until they returned. Happy days.

3. Steve Hayes September 3, 2012 at 08:51 Permalink

The buildings in the picture look close enough for the child to have shouted to attract attention — when did this happen, since the date on the photo is over 8 years ago?

4. ivan September 3, 2012 at 09:20 Permalink

These are not the first to die on the Broads and I very much doubt they will be the last.

I was brought up in that area and have spent many a summer holiday trying to teach some of the people that hire the boats how to use them. This was in the 50s and people were generally more sensible then as well.

The main problem that people unfamiliar with the area have is finding the actual edge of the waterway because of the reeds. There have been a few reed cutters that have got into problems, although I don’t know of any that have lost their lives because of their trade, they also generally work in pairs as well as daylight.

@Steve, that photo is a publicity shot taken at a different location.

5. James Higham September 3, 2012 at 10:51 Permalink

Thanks, Ivan – was just about to write that.

6. Seaside Sourpuss September 3, 2012 at 11:07 Permalink

Like you James, my very first thought, when reading this story, was eh?.
    I reckon the actual truth will probably be quite bizarre.
    SS

7. Seaside Sourpuss September 3, 2012 at 11:17 Permalink

I will say, in my defense, the chances of my teenage daughter finding herself anywhere, for any length of time, in the known universe, without some form of communication with the outside world, is almost zero. She would be screaming and hollering blue murder long before anyone actually vanished.
    She actually makes a point of going to the toilet not once, but twice, during a trip to the cinema, just so she can check her messages.
    SS

8. Seaside Sourpuss September 3, 2012 at 12:35 Permalink

I have just read the latest updates, and to be honest, I’m less inclined to think there was anything dodgy about this. In fact I am more than happy to believe it was simply another abusive husband and father that chose to be a family annihilator (almost always male) rather than give up his punching bag.
    If I’m really honest, based on the police statement ‘”The motives surrounding the incident remain unclear but at this time we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths,” I’m guessing they have already figured out the husband intended to kill his wife, and child, but was prevented from doing so.
    Probably by the wife, who somehow managed to lose her life, and take her attacker in the process, protecting her child.
    I bet, in future months, it turns out he was a wife beating ass hat, whose wife wanted to leave him but was too scared to do so. I bet he was the kind of man that blamed all women for his own lack of success, believing deep down that the only reason he didn’t achieve fame was because his wife had some kind of unfair advantage and the only way to even the score was to kill her.
    Aka the same old story for why men seem to believe, that when a women is better than them, the only way to restore the balance, is to kill them.
    SS

9. James Higham September 3, 2012 at 13:31 Permalink

Female logic is an amazing thing. From:

“The motives surrounding the incident remain unclear but at this time we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths”

… you somehow jump, SS, to:

“In fact I am more than happy to believe it was simply another abusive husband and father”

Eh? How did abusive fathers get into the picture?

Moggsy, Steve, Dearieme – yes.

10. Seaside Sourpuss September 3, 2012 at 14:02 Permalink

There really is nothing I can say to this comment.
    SS

11. Moggsy September 3, 2012 at 15:29 Permalink

SS. I kinda have to go with James on this at the moment.

I don’t see anything in the media either way to put it on the guy especially. If there were signs of violence and post mortems not done wouldn’t they still be a bit more open investigation-wize?

It could as easily be they went for a walk in the dusk, or for some “Quality” time far enough away where the girl would not hear any, um “indications they were having quality time” and just got in trouble.

I think we have to wait and see before deciding.

12. Seaside Sourpuss September 3, 2012 at 16:57 Permalink

So how come none of you bothered to shoot James down for his less than subtle insinuation that, yes, it could well have been a total accident, but do you remember the totally bizarre and random killing of some parents, by their totally mental daughter. So, James gets to hum and ha and ponder ‘was it the daughter what killed them’ whilst I get shot down, in flames, for pointing out a rather more common place answer to this kind of crime.
    I am more than happy to wait for the outcome,
    I will, however, bet you all, it wasn’t the sexually deranged, modern teenage daughter that decided, on a whim, to kill her parents.
    I’m still going to go with the age old ‘Mentally retarded wife beater freaks the fuck out when wife finally cries divorce and beats the bitch to death, cos that’s what any decent, loving husband would do.

13. ivan September 3, 2012 at 17:15 Permalink

SS, I was rather gently chiding James by saying it had happened before and will happen again mainly because people that holiday in the boats on the Broads know nothing about boats ot the Broads themselves.

We can all jump to conclusions, usually the wrong ones, based on our perceived idea of what might have happened. It always pays to wait until all the information is available, that way one does not have to end up eating humble pie.

14. Pip September 3, 2012 at 17:23 Permalink

Me and my two teenage children have just returned from our hire cruiser in Wroxham on Friday 31st August. It was our second holiday on the Broads and we had hoped to make this our annual holiday stop.
    I think the main problem is that holiday makers do not realise the potential risks of a boating holiday. I would like think that this is a tragic accident.

15. James Higham September 3, 2012 at 17:24 Permalink

You’ll have to stand in line to chide me, guys and gal. I was first cab off the rank – this was my comment in the post on my theory:

No justification for thinking that of course.

;-)

Pip – I hope it is and I’d eat any amount of humble pie for it to be so.

16. Seaside Sourpuss September 3, 2012 at 17:58 Permalink

I’m sorry. It’s been fab, chatting with you guys. I loved it. Sadly James and his quite obvious hatred of anything with tits, or a fanny, has somehow managed, yet again to turn any kind of serious discussion into a god forsaken waste ground. I tried, really I did.
    James. If you spent less time whining and bitching and fucking moaning about how bloody awful the opposite sex was, and more time simply keeping your fucking mouth shut whilst buying them lunch I reckon you would get way more sex, way more sarnies and way more respect. I’m sorry James but you really are a fucking pig.

17. James Higham September 3, 2012 at 18:24 Permalink

You have it completely wrong and I suggest you see the 20:00 post. Your charge is not only wrong, it is offensively wrong.

Let me explain that more. The ad hominem doesn’t worry me in the least – people do that all the time and there’s been worse than that- but the misrepresentation of the thrust of the posts does concern me because it perpetuates the lie that feminists are perpetrating.

That’s my sole concern in this and it will be addressed at 20:00.

Thank you. Your posts were fab and you’re always welcome, as you know.

18. Moggsy September 4, 2012 at 02:42 Permalink

SS, I am trying to read comments on this site with half of them missing as I have mentioned before, I am not seeing the comment you attribute to James.

I would be the first to concede he can be just plain wrong and comes over misogynistic from time to time. He seems to interpret things from time to time through a skewed lense that way.

But personally I don’t think the right reponse to that is apparent tit for tat misandry. I think the right reponse is to point out how, where and why I see them as wrong.

Misogeny and misandry are, I believe, strongly and inherently faulty and destructive. When argument turns to animosity then no one is listening any more.

19. Rossa September 4, 2012 at 08:01 Permalink

The mother has been strangled and the man wasn’t the girl’s father. As usual it is better to wait and see than speculate.

Time of death not made public yet. The boat was moored for the whole week with the curtains closed so what was the daughter doing all that time if this happened at the beginning of the week? Have to wait and see.

20. Moggsy September 4, 2012 at 13:38 Permalink

Rossa, I agree it was better to wait until we had more facts. That is what I thought also. It looks as if Seaside’s thought that it was male on female violence was sadly, probably right.

21. James Higham September 4, 2012 at 14:12 Permalink

So that makes it a little clearer – here are the possibilities, assuming:

1. she was strangled;
    2. both bodies were found closeby.

1. he killed the woman and there are two possibilities:

a. he was a lowlife and the question is – what is she doing with a lowlife and not the girl’s father?

b. he was not a lowlife and that’s consistent with the woman taking him on in the first place – so what did she do to tip him over the edge?

2. he did not kill the woman but it seems a bit far-fetched. Let’s assume he did.

The girl is still the key:

1. she could say instantly what happened or else he locked her at the far end or she was asleep at the time but what about the noise?

2. why was she spared?

It still doesn’t add up. As you say, ladies – let’s wait and see.

22. James Higham September 4, 2012 at 16:10 Permalink

the girl was “traumatised”

There’s the key to it. Does seem she didn’t know at the time but was probably worried silly. When they told her, it would have been terrible.