The real poverty …

… in Britain is a poverty of the soul. I read that somewhere, on a blog I think*.

We have all, at one time or another, read stories and seen photos that have shocked us to the core and left us with a bitter after taste. However, I cannot recall the last time I read an article that left me with such an overall feeling of sadness and despair as the following.

Peaches spills the baby…..

The Mail informs me, elsewhere, that this is the most tweeted baby in the known universe, yet his Mother doesn’t even bother to end her phone call, let alone drop her handbag, as She scoops him up from the pavement.

The mothers response is sadly, all too familiar, these days. It was someone else’s fault. In this case it was none other than Boris Johnson himself who was to blame for 4 month old Astala hitting the pavement. Peaches goes on to claim that Astala was safely strapped in, even though the photos quite obviously prove otherwise. As for The Mail, well they describe Peaches parenting skills as, and I quote, “versatile”.

I don’t recall The Mail ever using the word “versatile” before, when graphically detailing, with photos, a mother’s quite blatant neglect of her child**.

They normally stick to words like monster, pervert, drug addict etc. I guess money and status really can buy you anything. I wonder what the going price is these days, for a clear conscience and free pass from the press?

*If it was you that came up with this quote, please feel free to claim it, if you want.

** Don’t try this at home, non famous peeps. If you trip and drop your newborn on its head, or stumble and tip it out of a buggy onto a hard surface, you will be arrested. It may be for neglect, it may even be for attempted murder. Either way, like Peaches, you will get a full write up in The Mail, however, the word versatile will almost certainly be absent.

6 Responses to “The real poverty …”

1. macheath September 11, 2012 at 18:21 Permalink

It wasn’t at my blog – though I wish it were – but I can offer you ‘crimes of childish carelessness and indifference’ including pets and babies neglected once the novelty has worn off.

We’ve clearly been thinking along similar lines this week; a repeating cycle of self-indulgent immature behaviour (ditching the father of your children for a drug-addled rock star, anyone?) where self-obsessed child-mothers bring up (I use the term loosely) a generation virtually incapable of developing into reasonable and reasoning adults.

The truly sad thing is that she and her like are is the poster-girls for a generation of feckless mothers; while her offspring will be cushioned by affluence from the worst consequences of her lack of responsibility, their plebian counterparts have no such protection.

2. dearieme September 11, 2012 at 19:44 Permalink

“while her offspring will be cushioned by affluence from the worst consequences of her lack of responsibility”: what, like the Rausing couple?

3. James Higham September 11, 2012 at 19:51 Permalink

I’ve a post coming up soon on this sort of thing but it’s not only today’s youth. Back in the days when, WN2 took a fancy to a kitten and brought it home.

We had a toddler from her previous marriage and I thought the kitten was getting more than its fair share of attention, compared to the child. As far as I was concerned, she could devote as much time as she wanted to him as he was … well … her child.

Once the cat climbed into bed between us during negotiations, [quite OK as that's what cats do but he had to know there were times ....]

I picked him up by the scruff [cat owners know it's not cruel if the rump is also supported] and shifted him to the floor beside the bed. That ended the evening’s festivities.

So, whenever the usual activities were to take place, the cat now knew it could come into the bed and lie between us. Now I actually liked the cat itself – it was the attitude to it which galled and that it was preventing what came naturally.

One day the toddler made it out of the front door [near the road], I saw him and made a run for the door, getting to him before he made it past the low wrought-iron gate.

WN2 was grateful and got onto some other topic I can’t remember. That was it. That really surprised me at the time.

Maybe six months later, the cat made a run for it through that same door one day and WN2 went hysterical, racing out and running up and down the road, racing back and demanding I take the car and search – pretty pointless with a cat but still – did that and did not find it. Can’t remember if she’d called the police to report it lost or not by the time I got back.

She was inconsolable, blamed me though I hadn’t opened the door, said I’d always hated it [she used its pet name] and didn’t care etc. I reminded her of the disproportionate reaction to the cat when the child had also got out months earlier.

That was different apparently – I was always going to catch him. She was in that state for over a week. The toddler used to play a bit roughly with the cat, I’d say not to, he got scratched – guess who got the sympathy? Meanwhile I attended to the child.

It never came back, by the way, the cat. I swear it was one of the factors when things eventually went sour a year or so later. My theory is that animals recognize OTT behaviour and are wary, even if it is obsessive love.

The Geldorf case is a bit different to that but it was still a situation where the reaction from a mother seemed strange – and that’s before we even start on Casey Anthony etc.

4. macheath September 11, 2012 at 20:08 Permalink

dearieme – good point, though I was thinking more of the army of nannies and factota these people frequently have in attendance to look after the baby, feed it, point out which way up it goes and so on…

5. Amfortas September 12, 2012 at 02:45 Permalink

Yummy mummy; Dummy mummy.

6. wiggiatlarge September 12, 2012 at 12:54 Permalink

I must be getting old , who the hell or what is Peaches, and should I know ?