The Twitter/Google/Facebook outrages

Twitter’s lie – I never did anything of the kind  – don’t respond, it’s a scam

You know, I’m more outraged now than I was last evening about what Twitter did. They had no authorization whatever using my name and avatar because they knew this would possibly suck in my friends/colleagues/acquaintances into thinking it was me.

In fact, is it going too far to say they’ve probably crossed the line of legality? It’s one thing a former stalker passing himself off as me on a sockpuppet blog a few times – that’s illegal too but it’s not an organization doing it. Somehow when a richard cranium does it, it’s not as bad because those that knew him knew what he was like in the head.

This though is an organization purporting to be a worldwide social media site. What I suspect is they got my address book from Google and if they did, Google has also acted illegally. One of the people who got “my” invitation got it through his personal email which he and I use only for personal correspondence.

I’d like to ask a question. either gmail is hackable … or it is not. If it is, then it’s a rubbish email. If it’s not, then Google has invaded our privacy and sold on to another organization my address book. If this is so – and I never have and never would authorize anyone access to my address book – then this is actionable.

I have also never authorized either Google, Twitter, Facebook or any of these organizations to combine my accounts although Twitter tries to get you to the whole time. Once I had to go into Twitter and specifically click out of giving them permission. That is also actionable and there must have been others who’ve had this happen – or perhaps they’re not aware of it.

Google’s latest action is, once a week, to change its notice to me which they paste over the control buttons on the gmail, telling me to get a more modern browser. Last week they said that they didn’t support Firefox. The week before that they said that not all the features of gmail would work.

1. The features are working as I have a way to get behind their notices;
2. Firefox itself refuses to allow an upgrade for Mac;
3. I want them to leave me alone with the version I had which was working perfectly well.

They are, in fact, coming the hard sell and I don’t wish to buy.

16 Responses to “The Twitter/Google/Facebook outrages”

1. Shelly Rayedeane September 22, 2012 at 19:13 Permalink

Google is hackable and a sockpuppet male drug addict will be jailed eventually due to his own actions.

I personally do not use Facebook or Twitter. I used Facebook, for a very short period of time once, but I do not use it anymore.

I also do not believe people have the right to clone blogs, but that hacker seems to have erased his blog completely now. :)

2. Nigel Sedgwick September 22, 2012 at 19:50 Permalink

James, I too received such an invitation to join Twitter, naming you as the originator, dated Fri, 21 Sep 2012 16:33:35 +0000. The email was sent to my (unadvertised) personal email address within my company’s domain.

The text of the message contained: (i) “James Higham has invited you to join Twitter!” (ii)
    “This message was sent by Twitter on behalf of Twitter users who entered your email address to invite you to Twitter.”

The email was sent from IP address 199.59.148.230 (as verified by my ISP who provide a mailbox for all my incoming email). The owner of that IP address is recorded (by whois) as:

OrgName: Twitter Inc.
    OrgId: TWITT
    Address: 795 Folsom Street
    Address: Suite 600
    City: San Francisco
    StateProv: CA
    PostalCode: 94107
    Country: US
    RegDate: 2010-03-08
    Updated: 2011-02-18
    Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/TWITT

Thus, this one does look as if it originated from Twitter. That could be their fault/intent independent of your wishes (though they would then by lying on ‘ii’ above), by a successful hack (of them or you) revealing your twitter login and password, and possibly by other means too.

They (Twitter) also invited me to ‘unsubscribe’. I, of course, have not responded to this suggestion: other than by blacklisting them with my spam filter (pending any evidence surfacing, of all the guilt being elsewhere and of them being whiter than white in every possible respect). I’ll advertise that fact when I next update my company website.

Best regards

3. Mark September 22, 2012 at 21:13 Permalink

Please keep us posted on this.

4. ivan September 22, 2012 at 21:35 Permalink

James, are you sure there isn’t a virus or some other nasty on your computer? Did you check with twitter that they did actually send out that invite and not some spammers site? You can cheque the latter by looking at the headers if it was an e-mail or hovering over what they want you to click on to see where it sends you as shown in the status bar at the bottom of the browser.

Next, have you gone to the mozilla site and checked that there isn’t an updated firefox for your operating system? You can even get British English version for Mac OS X and unless Apple has done something to stop newer versions working it should work. Even my OS/2 has version 10.0.5 firefox working without problems – the only thing we lack is a working flash player but then I tend to download video and view at my leisure.

5. Twisted Root September 22, 2012 at 22:47 Permalink

I don’t blame you for being thoroughly annoyed, but are you sure this is actionable? Did you read all of the terms and conditions of use when you signed up to Gmail and Twitter? Be honest, who does?

6. ubermouth September 22, 2012 at 22:59 Permalink

Google is hackable and the people who work there have been known to give hacker friends on Blogger passwords. This I know for a fact.

My google account has been hacked so much that I no longer use it for email.When people write me letters and then theirs disappear it’s easy to see who is deleting their own mails. To date, I have had 3 separate people-all bloggers- in my Gmail.

Go with Hushmail ,James. They are the most secure web based email there is. I have never had a problem with it in the 2 or so years I have been using it.

I wouldn’t touch Gmail or Twitter with a 10 foot barge pole.I have also had yahoo and hotmail emails hacked into. I stay away from those ones.

7. ubermouth September 22, 2012 at 23:01 Permalink

Just read comments. When I used to use hotmail I had a person decline an invite I supposedly sent to them from some site I had not even signed up to. Clearly I sent no such invite and am pretty sure Richard Cranium did.

I don’t think your case is an isolated one.

8. CherryPie September 22, 2012 at 23:53 Permalink

It isn’t Twitter that is doing it James. I just got mine, it is a Scam email.

I can see that from the email address it was sent from. And like Chuckles it was sent to my personal name address rather than the one associated with my blogs online activity etc.

The other clue is we already following each other on Twitter!!!

The way the internet has developed (very recently) has allowed scammers and bots to collate all information from people and jigsaw it back together. It is very clever technology but it is very open to abuse, which is what we are seeing here.

I hope no-one clicked on the link in the email and if they have done they do need to scan their computer for viruses!

Now I will tell you a personal story that relates to this…

A couple of weeks ago Mr C asked me if I had sent him an email at 3 O’clock in the morning. It was a reasonable question (I am a night owl, but I never stay up quite that late on a work day), I do send him links and little two liner comments when he is not around so I don’t forget …

I knew I hadn’t and when I looked at the email it displayed my personal name address but looking at the email properties showed that the email was from a completely different email address (not mine). Luckily he was alert enough not to click on the link.

9. Wolfie September 23, 2012 at 00:20 Permalink

I got one from the “YouTube Team”, it was a good try but like CP I noticed that the email was not the correct one associated with my account. Its about time you got the hang of the web James, you have been hanging out here too long to play the noob.

10. banned September 23, 2012 at 01:12 Permalink

Thanks for the Facebook party invite James, mind if I bring a few friends?

btw, whenever I try to post at OoL I get a 405 error message.

11. James Higham September 23, 2012 at 06:47 Permalink

Wolfie – I don’t “play the boob”, I am the boob. However, I’ve now unsub-boobed.

I think I just accepted that if one sets something with an account, it remains set. One doesn’t expect the organization to to reset without your authorization.

They’ll claim I did authorize it on the grounds that i failed to act when they changed their policies. I found five accounts Google had linked to. All unsubscribed now.

Last week, one of my Russian friends said there was a Linked in account linking to my website apparently, not in this name. I informed them of this and also closed my James Higham linked in. Apparently these things take some time.

This week I’ll trawl through everything I’ve subscribed to [I keep a list on paper] and close most of them. Today I closed my Twitter account.

Ivan – I hear you. I’ll go step by step – this route first, then the other.

Banned – you’re always welcome.

Cherie, Uber, TR, Shelley – thanks.

Nigel – noted and thanks

12. Rossa September 23, 2012 at 08:29 Permalink

My mother just had something similar, last night, from Linked In supposedly from the author of a blog she reads. She isn’t on Linked In and what was suspicious is that it is from the French version though it had the blog author’s location being in the UK. He does have a holiday home in France so may well use LI from both locations.

We have both commented on his blog so clearly our email addresses are captured and used somewhere. I have emailed him to let him know about it and that Mum won’t be taking up his ‘invitation’ if only because she doesn’t use any networking or social media sites.

I am on Linked In but so far they haven’t got to me. Someone hacked my cousin’s FB account to offer me some homeworking scam and yours via Twitter which you already know about J.

13. Amfortas September 23, 2012 at 09:00 Permalink

I refuse all invitations and exhortations to join twitter. Even from acquaintances face to face. According to Feminists I am already a rapist, and I don’t want non-feminists thinking I am a moron too.

14. Shelly Rayedeane September 23, 2012 at 22:20 Permalink

Just one more thought to add regarding this topic James. I am not a person who opens emails from people I do not know anymore.

The one thing I notice regarding the hackers who were involved with me is that they go back in and close the emails previously read to make them look unread.

Then, once you click on the email, which looks unread, the computer screen acts funny, and the computer becomes compromised and has to be rebooted from scratch.

One hacker, who is also affiliated with a certain female blogger (who does not post here anymore) deletes his feeds through google to cover up everything he has done.

If in doubt, search your blog username in google reader to find out the culprits involved and you will find out just who is deleting feeds controlling certain bloggers use of media and free speech while redirecting other feeds.

The way I look at it is this. If you have sinned more than I have, you can’t control me and never will be able to.

Hacking my cell phone will not work either. The truth will come out eventually.

15. CherryPie September 23, 2012 at 23:01 Permalink

It wasn’t Twitter that sent the emails and the links in the email didn’t link back to Twitter. They linked to a bogus page.

Always hover over the links to see where they are taking you. In this case it almost looked legitimate but there were those added characters to the link that give the game away….

Also the graphics in the email gave the game away too.

This has nothing to do with the sites you are connected to. It has everything to do with scammers picking up information over the net!…

16. James Higham September 24, 2012 at 08:16 Permalink

Yes Cherie and I’m making move after move, one by one.