Housekeeping – think I’ve been hacked

We all have our online problems and mine fall into two categories:

1. Those affecting me alone, e.g. being shut out of my dashboard and

2. Those affecting friends and/or readers.

I just received an email from a friend declining my invitation to join me on Twitter.    I never sent such an invitation, nor would I, via social media. It simply wasn’t me.

Therefore, someone has hacked my Twitter account and that follows on from Linked-In and Facebook or else these organizations have taken it upon themselves to do it – I don’t know.   I am not in Linked-In – I was about four years ago but discontinued three years ago so anything from that source is also not me.   Facebook I only use for the posts from NO and I don’t do any of the inanities such as asking someone to like me or poking or whatever it is they do.   I sent out some presents to a few Facebook users on my blogrolls about two years ago.

I am registered with TJMK, EU Referendum and some other sites on the blogrolls because they require that but these are private sites.   I’m in no forums.

About a year and a half ago, apparently someone using my name went round to blogs from my blogrolls and pretended to get into discussions, then trashed someone in the comments thread.   Again, that was not me.   My comments are pretty well known and often involve me copying and pasting a fragment of the post and then commenting on that.   Most of my comments are one or two lines – occasionally more but you’d recognize my prose when I start ranting – it’s often acerbic but no more than that.

Never are my comments ad hominem, never.   If that is done under my name, someone is using my name.   Please check with me if anything of this nature occurs, before being offended.

Thank you.

9 Responses to “Housekeeping – think I’ve been hacked”

1. A K Haart September 21, 2012 at 20:58 Permalink

I’ve not received anything.

2. James Higham September 21, 2012 at 20:59 Permalink

Yet. ;-)

3. ivan September 21, 2012 at 21:38 Permalink

James, get a good virus scanner and scan your computer – you will most probably find the cause of the trouble, and yes, Macs can, and do, get virus contrary to what some people say.

4. Chuckles September 21, 2012 at 21:53 Permalink

James, the invitation emails were from Twitter, i.e. they were not spoofed emails, but genuine.
    QED either someone can log on to your Twitter account, or someone has created a ‘James Higham’ Twitter account. Since I know zip about Twitter, I have no idea how the target email addresses would be selected, but my invite came to my ‘private’ email address that I never use in blog comments or similar contexts.

5. James Higham September 21, 2012 at 22:08 Permalink

That’s interesting. Both Chuckles and the other person are two of my most frequent email recipients. AKH, though we comment at each other’s sites, don’t generally email.

It seems to me it’s to do with the frequency of emails. Ivan’s right about virus scanning. All this has started happening since both Google and WordPress have been warning me to upgrade and that I am at risk.

I wasn’t at risk before they began warning me and covering control buttons with their notices.

6. JD September 21, 2012 at 23:21 Permalink

got one this morning James but I deleted it straight away – intuition is usefu y’knowl :)

even had your Biggles pic on it

7. James Higham September 22, 2012 at 06:06 Permalink

There’ll be a post this evening on other things happening to a few of us, including sockpuppet sites and large social media sending invitations and co-opting people when they did absolutely nothing of the sort.

8. CIngram September 22, 2012 at 13:00 Permalink

I got one a couple of days ago. It struck me as odd, but I hadn’t got round to answering it either way. (In any case, I already have a Twitter account but I never use it.) Glad to know it wasn’t you.

9. Revolution Harry September 22, 2012 at 18:49 Permalink

Yep, I had one as well. I’m not on Twitter and I’ve no desire to be on it so I ignored it. It was from a curious email address looking at it now.

i-eribyhgvbauneel=znphayvzvgrq.arg-1b88e@postmaster.twitter.com