Frustrating basins

I have just returned from a slow meander through the Loire, staying at a variety of Hotels etc whilst trying to find elusive vineyards, much to the chagrin of “she who must be obeyed” who enjoys sipping the stuff but doesn’t really enjoy the winery ‘bit’.

What I wanted to comment on was the hand basin in the photo that I came across in our room in an otherwise amazing converted Chateau.

When I first went to use this basin, my first impression was that it didn’t look like it would hold much water, as the ends of this curly, crisp shaped item looked to low to contain water. I was even more puzzled that the retaining plug had no means of closure.

After a bit of twiddling, I discovered the closure plug was on a screw mechanism. At first this seemed the answer, not likely but possible, screw it it down to retain water – reverse to release ! Far too simple. All it did was to rise and fall on the screw – no retaining powers at all.

Defeated I called the manager, very nice man but of no help whatsoever as he declared this was what is being fitted in modern Hotels these days and he looked at me as if I had come from another planet.

So there you have it – a basin that holds no water – wastes a lot – and if you could make it hold water, it would tsunami all over the surrounds and beyond, absolutely useless.

10 Responses to “Frustrating basins”

1. dearieme October 1, 2012 at 16:16 Permalink

But can you wash your goolies in it?

2. BobG October 1, 2012 at 16:30 Permalink

As someone with a technical education, I was always taught that form follows function. That sink may look pretty, but it fails its primary function.

3. ivan October 1, 2012 at 17:03 Permalink

Did you try using it? The tap lever at the right of the water spout should also lower the plug, then you turn the water on and do the reverse – turn water off and move further to raise plug.

In fact the system is quite common here, France, but that is the first bowl of that shape I’ve seen.

4. wiggiatlarge October 1, 2012 at 19:20 Permalink

Ivan this is not my image , there was no lever , it operated /not as described and as the manager showed me, it may be as the image is from the manufactures web site they have a different set up, but the design is not capable of holding water over 1/2 an inch before catastrophe, it was as described totally useless. And yes I/we did use it as a total loss system for teeth brushing and shaving, strangely we came across a couple of other large but shallow basins that were also useless as the gentle side slopes meant the tsunami effect came into play with anything more vigorous than a gentle dip of anything ‘Dearime’ it is an area of form over function gone mad.

5. JD October 1, 2012 at 19:33 Permalink

what did the bathtub look like?

was there a bathtub? :)

6. lordsomber October 1, 2012 at 22:27 Permalink

Reinventing the wheel since it was round.

7. CherryPie October 1, 2012 at 22:44 Permalink

Strange continental ideas always amuse me. I try to find a work around ;-)

As to finding the elusive winery, your good lady doesn’t know what she is missing ;-)

I have always enjoyed those tours and explanations of how they produce their product.

One of my favourite tours and explanations was my visit to where Ruinart Champagne is produced. The Champagne isn’t too bad either ;-)

8. Moggsy October 2, 2012 at 08:43 Permalink

If the sink is deep enough you can drape a flannel over the outlet to slow/block it.

I used to take a spare plug with me, could you lift out the designed to be defective plug and put in a real one while you used it?

9. wiggiatlarge October 2, 2012 at 08:54 Permalink

Sadly none of the suggestions would work for reasons laid out, the bath tub JD was thankfully normal ! Cherie there was no problem finding the wineries it’s just that SWMBO prefers the tasting not the workings, mind you there have been occasions when I couldn’t be arsed to look at the workings having done to much tasting.
    Just to further complicate the plumbing I came across, there was a pop up that operated on a spring mechanism, you pushed it down to seal and again to release, this seemed to work quite well although I could see problems with that in a bath ?

10. Andrew Duffin October 2, 2012 at 14:14 Permalink

A bit like those lever-operated pop-up plugs that never, ever, work properly.

In the “open” position, they drain very very slowly so that the basin doesn’t self-clean as it should, and you end up with sludge everywhere; in the “closed” position they don’t seal so the water slowly drains away and you have to waste loads to maintain a reasonable level.

Are there no competent engineers or plumbers left at all?