Steve Jobs minimalist design

UPDATE: Damn, only just looked at the Mail, not realizing they’d already run this. Oh well.

This was really haiku’s post but we follow a procedure here that if I input in the post, it goes out in my name and if not, then it goes out in his or her name.

Whatever one thinks of Steve Jobs, his yacht is one beauty if you like minimalist and I very much do.   Obviously haiku does too.   I’d go further and say that minimalist does not have to mean PoMo or bland – it can mean classic.   The boat I’ve designed is straight-sided, clean and simple – every effort has been made to reduce and combine.

This though is something else again:

9 Responses to “Steve Jobs minimalist design”

1. JD October 29, 2012 at 09:32 Permalink

Horrible and ungainly, reminds me of this ugly beast-

Alfa (and Italians) rarely made design mistakes but Zagato made one with that thing.

2. The jannie October 29, 2012 at 09:52 Permalink

Like many floating gin palaces it’s obviously not designed to go to sea, just parked up and admired.

3. James Higham October 29, 2012 at 11:30 Permalink

Yes, JD – function over form determining the lines and head-nod to profile ideas without integrating them or abandoning them, as they should have done.

The Jannie – that’s true and it’s a crying shame.

4. wiggiatlarge October 29, 2012 at 12:30 Permalink

James There are quite a few of these as you well know, but Jobs yacht is the most minimal, I thought this British designed one was in the same mold ?

5. Rossa October 29, 2012 at 14:45 Permalink

As my dear old Dad would say ” there goes another CPF”

(Chromium Plated Fornicatorium)

;-)

6. Bill (Scotland) October 29, 2012 at 16:17 Permalink

A very bizarre-looking craft and one wonders how it would handle in a stormy Atlantic. The bow in particular reminds me of some pre-WWI battleships. The whole effect is very ungainly and rather like 1920s poster-art.

However, it was the whim of a very rich and gifted individual, whose wealth regrettably did not protect him from an illness that could overtake any of us, so if he got enjoyment out of envisioning this then I suppose for him it was worth it.

7. James Higham October 29, 2012 at 17:05 Permalink

It depends on the underwater shape. If it is full at the bow, then when it powers up, the bow will lift and it will approximate any other speedboat.

If however, it is fine and shallow at the bow, then it will dive straight into waves. So we’d need to see the underwater profile.

8. Stephen Brown October 30, 2012 at 21:35 Permalink

I wouldn’t fancy being on any vessel which had vertical, full length glass ‘bulkheads’ at right angles to the direction of travel!
    One good wave and ….

9. James Higham October 30, 2012 at 21:38 Permalink

A cat, on the other hand, can get away with it as above and below the vertical panel it recedes to the centre and if the hull lifts, the vertical becomes angled inwards and an arrowhead is presented to the wind.

The trouble with motorboats is that they’re sitting ducks for the big wave.