Where are my shoes?

My tired and aching feet need new shoes but I can’t find any.

It’s probably my own fault that my feet do not work as they were designed to do, having spent most of my working life wearing safety boots and the rest of the time wearing slip-on type loafers.

And these here Clark’s are the only comfortable shoes I have.

So I go to their shop but, not seeing any on display, I ask “Do you have any more shoes like these?”

“Please”

“No, but we have these which are the new improved style which replaces them”

Now when I hear or see the words “new improved” I get suspicious. It usually means we found a cheaper way to do it

Well, they look OK but I notice that they have the word Clark’s embossed on them so I ask “Do you have any without the writing on them?” “Please.”

Salesman then starts to tell me how lots of people like the brand names and blah blah….

So I say “Yes I know but I didn’t ask you that. Do you have any without the writing on them?” “Please.”

Slight hesitation and then he starts again “Lots of people like wearing branded blah blah drivel…..”

“Sorry” I say “But do you have any without your brand on them? “Please” “Yes or no?”

Further hesitation followed by another futile attempt at marketing/sales blether before I said “So that means no, does it?” “I’ll go somewhere else.” “Thank you”

I looked in M&S because I remember buying some shoes there years ago and they were one of the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever had. Had a look and saw some that appeared suitable and, more to the point, they were not emblazened with any adverts. But I was short of time so went home and looked on-line for them.

I eventually bought some of these which were very similar to the ones I had previously bought from M&S. and I also bought some of these

Sigh of relief.

M&S sent an email confirming the order along with a number which they said was a tracking code but they forgot to tell me which parcel company so I couldn’t track the delivery status.

Three days later they were delivered and, oh dear! Where the previous M&S shoes had been excellent these were the opposite.. They were the right size and fit except for one thing: they were impossibly tight across the instep such that I would have done serious damage to my metatarsals if I tried wearing them.

And as for the Airflex thing…… that’s a joke. A wooden sole would be more flexible!

So I took them to the shop and asked for a refund.

Because I bought on-line I can’t have a refund, only a credit voucher. They could have credited my card for me but I didn’t have it with me and no, they could not give me cash: company policy innit.

So I have a M&S credit voucher but no shoes and I can’t use it to buy M&S shoes because they are all cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish.

Looks like I shall be buying lots of M&S socks in the future but at least I know they will fit and be comfortable.

11 Responses to “Where are my shoes?”

1. Chuckles October 27, 2012 at 14:16 Permalink

2. ivan October 27, 2012 at 14:53 Permalink

Do you have a Decathlon store anywhere near you? I get their own brand walking boots and trainers and so far I can’t fault their quality.

3. Mike Spilligan October 27, 2012 at 17:08 Permalink

I am “particular” about shoes and try to avoid buying them at the last minute; and shops infuriate me as much as you. “We don’t do half-sizes” when I clearly need a half-size. (Is this why half the population is limping?) “We don’t stock many shoes, but we can get them for you by tomorrow” – when I’ll be somewhere else. Pathetic.
    A long time ago I found M&S shoes too narrow; otherwise OK, but no better than OK.
    For the last three years I’ve bought shoes mail order from Samuel Windsor. A big range, most in half-sizes, and I’ve been very satisfied with the sizing and quality of the 8 pairs that I’ve had. The prices are excellent, too. They will also deliver to a requested date with a small charge – but best to buy two pairs at a time for economy.
    Try http://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk

4. Don QuiScottie October 27, 2012 at 17:29 Permalink

ShoeZone, £9.99, perfectly adequate and comfortable for a few months then buy another pair at ShoeZone, £9.99. I have tried very expensive, tried middling, tried all manner of cheap. After that extensive research over more than 30 years I have, for the past ten years or so, settled on ShoeZone, £9.99. I am not classy by my feet are comfortable and dry.

5. James Higham October 27, 2012 at 18:27 Permalink

I’m both ways on this. One or two expensive shoes and the rest “comfortable” without looking appalling.

6. Twinkletoes October 27, 2012 at 18:41 Permalink

I have found a Riker shop near me. Light, broad fitting, water resistant comfortable shoes, Really! And quite stylsh.

7. CherryPie October 28, 2012 at 01:17 Permalink

All shoes have to be comfortable. Comfortable out-ways expensive or classy.

When a person feels comfortable in their shoes and skin, they will always be seen as classy ;-)

8. James Higham October 28, 2012 at 07:10 Permalink

I mentioned this to my boss yesterday and she smiled: “He wanted Clark’s shoes at a Clark’s store without Clarks embossed in the leather?”

9. Mark October 28, 2012 at 06:55 Permalink

I still have a pair of Clarks I bought decades ago. Wear like iron and fit like a glove. I wonder if they still do quality?

10. JD October 28, 2012 at 15:02 Permalink

thanks to all for suggestions :)
    … but I need ‘shock absorber’ type soles so maybe I should look out for a pair of Teddy Boy style brothel-creepers

11. ivan October 28, 2012 at 18:13 Permalink

JD that is why I said have a look at Decathlon they sell themselves as supplying to the sports people. The shoes and boots I get have excellent shock absorbing soles as I can testify after several km a day walks in gravel tracks around here taking the dog for a walk (at least the ones I get from the Perpignan store do).