It passes the time

Drambuie at the ready?  This from Amfortas:

Hardy folks on holiday. The weather is unusually nice !!

Notice how the RAF go far lower than the USAF.

The ‘Mach Loop’ is a low-level flying route in North Wales. It is used as a ‘training’ course for fighter pilots predominantly but larger transport planes go through it too. Just a tad slower !

8 Responses to “It passes the time”

1. Furor Teutonicus November 28, 2012 at 18:18 Permalink

First Vid at 5:09 minuites, DAMN! That bastard was cutting the bloody grass!! Or what?

I sometimes miss Glencoe in the summer… :-))

Jet noise! The sound of FREEDOM!

2. Furor Teutonicus November 28, 2012 at 18:26 Permalink

Second Vid… is that not an Aussi/New Zealand accent???

Once saw a B-52 “doing” the Glencoe valley, from South to Fort William! BRILLIANT!

Then there were three planes, two U.S and one Luftwaffe. You could see them “jokeying. The U.S crews came low, then went high. The Luftwaffe Torbado, NO feckin problem RIGHT under the Ballachullish bridge!

I was ON the bridge (per foot).

I could bloody kill myself that I had no camera at the time!

3. James Higham November 28, 2012 at 20:46 Permalink

Twas good eh? I’ve sent it to Theo too as he likes these things.

4. Amfortas November 29, 2012 at 00:12 Permalink

Out of Valley and into the valleys. And these guys get paid to do it !!!! The views from the office window are magnificent.

5. Amfortas November 29, 2012 at 10:05 Permalink

I know James is a sail fan, but I am a fly fan. Not that I do, being old and knackered, but I do fly my computer pretty well every day. More sedately, mind you, although I have several times taken an F15 and a Learjet (and a Goose) through the Mach Loop. The flying is taxing enough but the navigating is a real bugger at speed.

6. james wilson December 2, 2012 at 04:51 Permalink

I wonder if the American planes were forced high after one brought down an Italian cable car some years back. Because fighter pilots are fighter pilots.

7. Amfortas December 2, 2012 at 05:32 Permalink

You are right James W, about their low-fly restrictions. The videos were in Wales, part of the RAF’s lo-fly routes, and while the USAF like to work with the RAF there is much mirth generated by the different ‘styles’. Rules are sacred to the USAF.

For instance: for a while I was the ‘Allocator’ for the air combat training area in the North Sea just above the Wash. My team’s task was to put a/c in and take them out and just keep an eye on them in the combat zone whilst they went about their hilarious bizzo.

The USAF had many fighter squadrons which worked just like a Gridiron team. They had complex ‘plays’ and everyone knew his part. Pairs and four-ships would be put in against a pair of RAF fighters and the RAF had just one ‘rule’: Kill.

The report of a ‘kill’ was ‘Splash’. That is, the gun or missile camera confirmed a hit. In several years not once did I see a USAF pair or fourship leave ‘virtually’ intact. They just did not have a clue against guys who went every which way, leaving the ‘players’ to do their moves only to find the ‘enemy RAF guys right up their arses instead of in some ‘expected’ place as per the game-plan.

And it is not just in the fight that rules must be followed. I once has an F111 declare a ‘Pan’ (an emergency just short of ‘mayday’), after shooting his own tail off on a sea Range. (The shells bounced off waves). I offered to direct him straight to a base just 25 miles away, but Oh no ! He ‘had to’ do the ‘Procedure’ for his own airfield which had him travelling 85 miles just to position at his ‘IP’. Then a further 45 miles of turns and height changes (as per the Procedure) to get down.

The Low-flying routes in Wales ( and in Scotland) give the USAF a unique opportunity to taste a different way of doing things. 250 feet is the RAF lo-limit The USAF only rarely chance it. The Germans are much more fun.

8. Amfortas December 2, 2012 at 06:08 Permalink

Wanna see how the Argies have low flying fun?