7 Responses to “Only a South African …”

1. Amfortas November 15, 2012 at 09:23 Permalink

I am not British. I am an Englishman. The Scots, Welsh and northern Irish are British. Everyone else is a foreigner.

2. james wilson November 15, 2012 at 21:16 Permalink

That has always been my sense of it, but being a foreigner I am curious to know why many English seem to be quick to self-identify as British. Or do they?

Recently I read through Bernard Cornwell’s fictional books covering the centuries following the Roman withdrawal. Garbage, or reasonably accurate? He has the Welsh as the last remaining Britons.

3. James Higham November 15, 2012 at 21:20 Permalink

Britain was the nation which inspired rule Britannia and all that – Empire.

England is the historic backbone of that in these times when the peripherals are taking the p***, many of the English are p***ed off.

4. Steve Hayes November 16, 2012 at 03:32 Permalink

What was the question?

All I could think of was a bit of dialogue from an old Monkees record::

I was ibn Africa the other day, playing cards with the natives
    Zulus?
    No, I usually won.

5. James Higham November 16, 2012 at 08:48 Permalink

That’s a good one too.

The performer in the clip above [which I think you did not click and watch] was asked: “What do you do?” meaning his job and he said he sold bits and pieces. He was then asked” “Are you a vendor?”

He answered; “No, I’m a Zulu.” See the Wiki entry on Venda.

Don’t worry, Steve, just ask South Africans like me – I know everything about South Africa. I even know the name Zuma. :)

6. Amfortas November 16, 2012 at 09:01 Permalink

What a sorry looking Zulu he was too. Not quite up to the image, was he. I can’t imagine (well I am) what Shaka would have made of him.

“Wotcha Sunshine. I’m King Shaka. Fancy going to war against the British? Me and the other Zulus are going”.

“Ow, dunno mate, I’m a bit busy, waitin’, ain’I. Doing a bit of this ‘n that, like. Anyhow, I’m a Venda all of a sudden”.

7. Chuckles November 16, 2012 at 09:32 Permalink

Extremely proud, polite, pleasant and friendly people, the Zulus, but you do NOT want to annoy them. (see Isandlwana)

Calling a Zulu a Venda, would definitely fall into that category.