Wet and cold, hot and dry

Chuckles sends this observation: “Can’t believe that with all the flooding we’ve had recently, Pakistan hasn’t offered to send us aid.”

Meanwhile, in Oz:

Don’t know if people are just becoming more stupid as they go on.   Have you ever been in 45 degrees plus for any length of time?  It strips the paint off walls, cracks roads, blows tyres and melts [or softens] bitumen.

To go out in that midday sun shows Australians to be as bad as mad dogs and Englishmen.   Especially as you can see people without hats, shirts or white sunscreen, all de rigeur in days gone by.  And then Australians wonder why they have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.  Whatever happened to slip-slop-slap?

As for the sand – have you lain on sand in those temperatures?   I don’t believe that photo was from today – looks more a file photo … or else those people truly are stupid … or are lizards.

10 Responses to “Wet and cold, hot and dry”

1. JD November 29, 2012 at 23:08 Permalink

Have you ever been in 45 degrees plus for any length of time?
    ….try working in it :) once upon a time in Doha I had three consecutive days outside in 50C heat – that was the reported temperature. it might have been more than that but the law says if it gets above 50 then everybody can down tools and go home. Needless to say the official temperature never gets above 50!

It ………….. melts [or softens] bitumen.
    ..only in this country, they don’t melt in hot countries
    - did you know they had tarmac roads in Baghdad in the 8th century?

2. Amfortas November 30, 2012 at 00:31 Permalink

Half the population, by statistical definition, are on the low side of the intelligence scale, but even terribly intelligent folk like me took the time to enjoy yesterday’s beautiful weather.

OK, it was not quite so hot in Tasmoania but into the 30′s. Same again today. I went across the river to Bellerive to wander amongst the boats and actually gave some passing pleasant thought to James and his affection for sail. I also has a plesant wander on a beach and a ride on my bike. Today I will spend some time on Kingston Beach.

The real issue to me is this ‘foreign aid’ bizzo. Yes, it is always one friggin’ way. When we have raging bushfires we get New Zealanders coming over to help fight the fires (my mate in NZ flies water-bomber choppers) but never any from Indonesia or India or Pakistan. Crikey we even send aid money to friggin’ China.

3. banned November 30, 2012 at 04:39 Permalink

At the other end of the scale are photos and vids of flood waters encroaching upon a well known local spot accompanied by howls of “this proves the increase in extreme weather events caused by climate change”.
    Nonsense thinks I, I’ve seen that happen at least 3 times before in the 25 years since I’ve lived here, only then it didn’t appear on Youtube.

4. James Higham November 30, 2012 at 06:58 Permalink

All very true. For a start, dry versus wet heat.

I was south of Darwin, near Katherine in summer and the temperature was only 33 degrees but there was airconditioning in every caravan and when you went outside to the loo, you’d come back with your clothes drenched and barely able to breathe.

By contrast, I went to put my washing out on a line in Alice Springs and by the time I’d finished hanging it, I started taking it in at the other end. That was about 42 degrees but was bearable in short bursts. JD would probably have had that. I’d imagine where Amfortas is is pretty humid. Banned and I are in humid but a bit cold right now.

45 though – that’s getting a bit warm – it can be done with light, baggy clothing and broad-brimmed hat in short bursts – I can’t imagine working hours in it on top of a girder, for example.

5. Amfortas November 30, 2012 at 07:12 Permalink

The Met office recording of the Temp at Melbourne yesterday gives a peak at 39 point something, not 45.

Tasmania today was glorious. The temperature in my house, in the shade, was 29. Outside in the sun I would guess it was in the low 30′s. Our ‘climate’ here is temperate maritime and yes we do have reasonable humidity, but the current wave of heat is, as is often the case for Melbourne, off the desert. The northerly flows bring scortching, dry heat off Oz central.

Aside: (This could easily be fixed if the government would only take my excellent advice and allow 20 million immigrants in to build a 6000 mile long wall around our inland deserts and flood it. The resultant sea would change our climate beneficially and the 20 million folk could also build 20 cities of one million each to populate the insides of Oz. Heck, if the Chinese can build 64 million homes in ten or twenty years and leave them standing empty, we can do the same and fill them up!)

The most noticeable thing about the sunny days in Tasmoania, and often queried by North Islanders, is that it ‘feels’ hotter than it is. This is because the air here is pristine (unless there is a forest burn-off somewhere nearby) and there is almost no particulate matter to blanket us from UV rays.

6. Rossa November 30, 2012 at 07:15 Permalink

And Moscow gets hit with more than 8″ of snow, half of what they usually get for the whole of the month.

It’s on it’s way here with -2c in Costa del Yorkshire this morning.

7. James Higham November 30, 2012 at 07:22 Permalink

Actually, my Russian mate with whom I’m Skyping later apologized and asked if we could move the time later as there is so much snow and it’s doubled the time of getting home – I remember it well. There are the narrowed roads and gridlock at junctions.

8. JD November 30, 2012 at 08:43 Permalink

you are right about the difference between arid and humid – in Doha and Dubai the humidity is always very high, often over 90% and why people would go to Dubai on holiday is beyond my ken; they must be mad!
    but snow is worse :)

9. wiggiatlarge November 30, 2012 at 09:12 Permalink

JD comments on the humidity in Dubai, but the Gold Coast in Aus is the same, not at all nice for much of the year yet people flock there !

10. Amfortas November 30, 2012 at 11:57 Permalink

Almost perfect today. As I said, it peaked in Tas at 34 today. Now at 11pm it is still 24. And we only have 16 bushfires burning. No sign of the Indonesians coming to repay a bit of the BILLION bucks we sent for the Tsunami or the hundred of millions we give them as ‘tribute’ each year so that they don’t invade us.