Identify the town

Rossa and I were having a discussion some time back about this town below and trying to work out which it was [click pic]:

There were some significant points in it, including on the left:

1. Tabak automat
2. Poster with 37
3.  What it’s wrapped aroud
4.  Cars and way they’re parked
5.  The architecture
6.  Bicycle rack?
7.  Tree lined avenue
8.  Tramlines

On the right:

9.  Nature of the pedestrain crossing
10.  Style of side road and trees
11.  Apotheka Internationale
12.  Kuone
13.  Driving on the right

N11 is a mix of German and French.   American cities sometimes like to recreate the continental but it seems European to me and Western Europe at that.  Belgium or Luxembourg?  Alsace?  Switzerland – reminds me of first Bourne. I’ll put my guess in comments.

Your thoughts?

13 Responses to “Identify the town”

1. James Higham December 6, 2012 at 13:46 Permalink

I’ll try for Zurich or some city or town on the way to the French border.

2. Pavlov's Cat December 6, 2012 at 14:39 Permalink

Vienna, Austria

3. Sniper December 6, 2012 at 15:31 Permalink

Sprout Town

4. IanPJ December 6, 2012 at 16:29 Permalink

I am inclined to believe its either Austrian or even Lichtenstein.

The architecture is possibly Austro/Hungarian in style but with a Napoleonic influence, the tree lined avenue gives the impression that Napoleonic forces were once there.

The suspended street lights are regularly seen in many Austrian towns.

No high rise buildings, another Austrian feature – by law. Special dispensation is required.

The signs – Tabak/Automat are Germanic, the French would use Tabac/Bancomat

Have tried and failed to read the name of the Hotel with the yellow edged canopy above the doorway, but I think the second word is Wien (Vienna).

Then there are the tramlines. Its an old system where the rails run close to the kerb, whereas the new modern European tram systems tend to run in the centre of the road.

It could be one of dozens of central European towns, but I will go for the outskirts of Vienna, or a town close by.

5. James Higham December 6, 2012 at 16:43 Permalink

Seems a bit too spic and span to be French, doesn’t it?

6. nick December 6, 2012 at 17:18 Permalink

Internationale Apotheke

Kärntner Ring 17
    1010 Wien

without a doubt

7. John December 6, 2012 at 18:31 Permalink

Alas, Google Image Search take all the fun out of stuff like this – yes, Vienna.

8. Amfortas December 6, 2012 at 18:40 Permalink

Prize to Nick for the corroboration.

9. James Higham December 6, 2012 at 18:45 Permalink

Does take all the fun out of it. Anyway, the all expenses paid two weeks in Somalia goes to Ian and Nick.

10. IanPJ December 6, 2012 at 20:16 Permalink

Oh cool beans – I’ll pack the bags… somewhere warm for Christmas…..

11. banned December 6, 2012 at 23:55 Permalink

As a a schoolperson I had two or three very dull visits to Vienna, there is only so much Baroque a kid can take.
    I later accepted an invitation to stay with a local and there followed what can perhaps be described as a very bohemian few days which I thoroughly enjoyed (underground jazz cafes included).

12. Pops Vienna December 7, 2012 at 08:02 Permalink

Definitely Vienna. I walk to work on this street every day.

13. James Higham December 7, 2012 at 08:07 Permalink