Identify this village

Just one more before the weekend.   Which village or region is it?

Hilly area though not necessarily mountainous.  Architecture seems more German than French, Spanish or Italian though the lack of care of some buildings suggests French or Italian.   What does the wall top right tell us?  Do the windowboxes tell us anything?  The shutters?

8 Responses to “Identify this village”

1. Chuckles December 7, 2012 at 15:14 Permalink

First reaction would be Alsace or somewhere round there, one of the areas that’s been swopped back and forth over the years

2. James Higham December 7, 2012 at 15:35 Permalink

Twas my thinking too.

3. IanPJ December 7, 2012 at 15:43 Permalink

This one is much harder, but looking at the architecture, the only real clue, it seems that it dates much older than the usual Germanic stuff, possibly more Goth than German.

The chimneys, varying from the old apexed and decorated brick to the newer concrete block with flat top, a soviet style, and the shape of the old roof tiles also give a clue, telling me its more eastern European than central.

The boxed in balcony on the green building on the right, which extends the living space is also rather Eastern European, so I am taking a guess here but I would suggest it may be Hungarian, Romanian or even Bulgarian.

4. CherryPie December 7, 2012 at 19:05 Permalink

I have no idea but it looks rather like Hobbiton!

5. James Higham December 7, 2012 at 19:21 Permalink

I’ve made a complete hash of this. I changed the name of the photo to not show the village and in so doing, lost the name. I know it was Kayser something or Kaiser something but it was listed as France.

Now the closest I can get is:

Kaiseraugst is a little village in Switzerland (just outside of Basel) with well preserved roman ruins. It’s one of the few in the region that hasn’t been completely destroyed.

I went to Google images and couldn’t get anything remotely like the pic in the post [which is a wallpaper] but I know it said Kayser or Kaiser something and it was definitely listed as France.

6. Chuckles December 7, 2012 at 19:31 Permalink

Bit of digging with ‘donoevil’ says Kayserberg

7. James Higham December 7, 2012 at 19:43 Permalink

Excellent – that was it.

Fish milkshake speeding on its way to you now!

[Actually, only did these two posts as something to do but quite like this now. Think I'll not do it every day but maybe twice a week.]

8. banned December 8, 2012 at 00:11 Permalink

Looks pretty but I’m surprised that the French have not renamed it Citoyenville.