Not a clue, have they?

Seems an extreme reaction and maybe there were existing problems but that’s hardly the point. The point is that the radio station in Sydney is showing no remorse and in reply to their:

Radio station ‘has not broken any laws’

… my colleague yesterday said – maybe not the law of the land but they’ve certainly broken the moral law – hence the worldwide condemnation. The two who did it bring to mind Ross and that other unkempt creature – no inner decency, no sense of right or wrong.

There’s a cottage industry in it now.

………..

Not broken any laws?  The ACMA Code of Conduct for Talkback and Interviews:

The purpose of this Code is to prevent the unauthorised broadcast of statements by identifiable persons.
6.1 A licensee must not broadcast the words of an identifiable person unless:

(a) that person has been informed in advance or a reasonable person would be aware that the words may be broadcast; or

(b) in the case of words which have been recorded without the knowledge of the person, that person has subsequently, but prior to the broadcast, expressed consent to the broadcast of the words.

10 Responses to “Not a clue, have they?”

1. james wilson December 9, 2012 at 06:26 Permalink

She is a fine looking girl. I’m sorry life worked out so badly for her, but if this pushed her over the edge I don’t think she was going to make it very far in any event.

I had a girl in my workshop ruin something a few days ago. She was horrified. I went over to a drawer, unwrapped a razor blade, gave it to her, and went back to what I was doing. After a time she asked what to do and I told her she could cut her wrist, or possibly forget it like I do and go back to work. She got it, and laughed.

2. James Higham December 9, 2012 at 08:20 Permalink

Agreed, James. There’s some sort of residual goodwill in males towards such as her which brings out all sorts of chivalrous instincts and one feels deeply sorry but as you say, she probably wasn’t going too much further if that could tip her over.

On the other hand, she was 46, with hubby and children and had made it this far. Now this is just speculation but if you include her ethnicity, which is very serious about its place in society, its job and doing it well – I can give many examples of this – combined with the importance as being seen as useful and competent – again, an ethnicity issue, not a gender … and if that’s combined with the gender issue of women desperate to be seen to be “succeeding ” – there’s a post coming up later – then something like this international “shame” would tip her, particularly if there’d been other issues, even the ones we all face of this corruptly imposed austerity.

Might have been the daughter’s pregnancy or son’s drug habit or whatever though the way she’d bring them up would probably mean that wouldn’t be.

Whatever – she was made a fool of by two yobs and those yobs also hid behind a station manager who said nothing at all was wrong in what they’d done. And that’s the thing which galls the most with decent people around the world.

3. james wilson December 9, 2012 at 08:51 Permalink

What the two schmoes did was not a bad thing. What the woman did was a bad thing.

I don’t think the jocks have any idea how to deal with it. This is not the same as having no remorse. They are not deep thinkers. If they are despicable men, I don’t know that. Maybe they are. But if this incident were the standard there would be millions of suicides a year. Generally, it’s the wrong people committing suicide anyway.

4. Wolfie December 9, 2012 at 09:57 Permalink

People in the “Media” have attained such a high status in our modern society that they think they can do exactly what they please. Here they demonstrate contempt for The Monarchy, The Nursing Profession and a young Mother which they feel they can use simply as entertainment.

Its the likes of them that have driven the entire West into a one party state on the back of light entertainment and subtle propaganda. Stuff Leveson, its time these pretenders to power were brought to their knees by the people.

Hanging is too good for them.

5. James Higham December 9, 2012 at 10:53 Permalink

Absolutely.

6. macheath December 9, 2012 at 11:07 Permalink

JH, I think you are right to consider ethnicity; imagine, for an extreme example, what would have happened had such a call been answered in a Tokyo hospital during the pregnancy of Japan’s Crown Princess.

And the question of suicide, for Western Europeans, is inextricably bound up with the historical teachings of the Catholic Church on sin and the sanctity of life; for those of us reared in this tradition, I’d say it’s virtually impossible to understand what might motivate someone from a different religious and cultural background to take his or her own life.

7. Amfortas December 9, 2012 at 12:12 Permalink

It is tragic that the young nurse not only felt responsible – thinkng she was talking to the Queen – but took her own life. I suppose at some point some dorks will blame the Monarchy.

The ‘young people’ broadcasters ran the wheeze past their ‘superiors’ for approval first and got the green light. Oh what fun.

The Privacy Act in Oz is quite clear. Section 43 ( I think)says that you can record any private conversation that you have with anyone, without informing them that you are recording. This is not just sound but vision too.

The same section forbids you letting anyone else, not party to the conversation, hearing or seeing your recording.

Section 45 provides a circumstance when you may allow someone else to hear/see. That is in persuance of a ‘Legal’ action. That is, one’s solicitor and/or court officials and jury.

Broadcasting to the masses is not allowed without the permission of the other parties to the conversation.

I have often advised men in Australia to be familiar with the Act especially when they are in conversation with an ‘Ex’ or any ‘official’ persons including the Child Protection, C$A and the police. Indeed, it is well known over here that most members of the Queensland Police have unofficially equiped themselves with watches that do both sound and vision recording which they use to ensure their own ‘safety’ especially when doing traffic work in remote places. Apparantly many false allegations have been made by women pulled over for traffic offences.

The DJ’s should be charged at least with an offence against the Privacy Act, and preferable with manslaughter.

8. David Farrer December 9, 2012 at 16:05 Permalink

James: have a look at this.

9. James Higham December 9, 2012 at 17:01 Permalink

Now that’s interesting because Martin is in the current 2nd half of the blogroll [including you] and I was going to check all that tomorrow morning.

Glad you pointed this out – it’s a beautiful piece and I hope people will check it out.

By the way – hope you’re OK, I’ve not been around for a while. My loss.

10. David Farrer December 9, 2012 at 19:08 Permalink

James,

Yes, I’m OK. I’ve got blogger’s block at the moment with the world having gone bonkers. Hoping to start up again soon.