The evangeline table

Sippican:

I had this raw material. I’d purchased a pile of flame birch many years ago. It’s the king of all American woods, if you ask me. Hard as a banker’s heart, and beautiful as a girl that won’t talk to you. I tucked it away to do something with it — eventually. Eventually is a terrible word in my life now. There was potential in the rough planks of wood that could be brought to bear for the right project. But what?

Creation is the whole thing, as I said. I set up my lathe again. I like the lathe. It’s quiet. I don’t have to put a vise on my head to use it. It’s not a rote operation, ever, even when making the same leg over again. My little son said, “Daddy is sculpting again.” I adored that. I was. But more, I was thinking. I was trying. I was striving to make something, the whole thing.

7 Responses to “The evangeline table”

1. Don QuiScottie December 18, 2012 at 16:29 Permalink

That is wonderful.

I’ve never made anything physical of any use to anyone whatever. (I am presuming assembling IKEA Flatpacks doesn’t count :) )

2. Woodsy42 December 18, 2012 at 16:47 Permalink

What a beautiful piece of wood.

3. James Higham December 18, 2012 at 16:53 Permalink

My stepfather had a lathe and he turned wood – he had slices all over the place and made little jewellery boxes and the like. He could have made money but didn’t want – it was just cathartic for him.

4. ivan December 18, 2012 at 17:19 Permalink

My lathe is still stripped down and in its packing. I should get it out and do some turning again – it was a nice pleasant pastime and enabled me to make presents for friends and family. Because everyone had several of my efforts and rather than give them an excuse to say no I stopped making them, that was over 20 years ago so I think they might have forgotten by now. ;)

5. Dave December 18, 2012 at 17:21 Permalink

Wonderful.

6. A K Haart December 18, 2012 at 18:40 Permalink

I love wood, particularly old wood, but I could never make anything like that. That little table could be used and cherished for two hundred years.

7. CherryPie December 19, 2012 at 00:40 Permalink

I have just the perfect place for that wonderful piece of furniture :-)