Engineers are cold fish

average-salary-u_s_-computer-engineer-200X200Did I say hiatus?   Sorry, sorry, just couldn’t resist this one, what with three engineers in what I might call my close circle of misfits:

Engineers are cold and dead inside, research shows

Unable to care or love, claims Swedish trick-cyclist

A study carried out by psychology researchers in Sweden has shown that people who go into engineering are less caring and empathetic than those who enter professions such as medicine.

Now you have to admit, that is just beautiful.   But what do some engineers have to say about that?

Chuckles

Many suggest that they breed like sergeants and microbes, by fission.

Haiku

This article runs counter to the popular belief that politicians are bred from accountants or lawyers: it would appear that engineers are better suited to becoming politicians.

Well, well, well.

I’m one of those unfortunates who has always been stuck with engineers as mates and even married one at one point. Now what did I do wrong in life to deserve that?    It’s frustrating – you can’t insult them, you can’t wind them up.    They just look at you then hit you.

They’re often as opinionated as I am.    There are two ways to get under their skin though – emotion and religion.    Usually does the trick.      You would probably be asking why would you want to wind up an engineer?

Well, sientifik eksperiment of course – to see what it takes to move an immovable object.   LOL.

11 comments for “Engineers are cold fish

1. Mark
    January 23, 2013 at 07:19

Surely, one would hope that people who take up, say, medicine, are more caring and empathic on average, than anyone else, including engineers?

2. Sniper
    January 23, 2013 at 08:33

Half a mo’.

Medicine is a science, no? When was the last time you heard of a mad engineer intent on world domination or the extermination of the human race?

Fortunately, engineers are level headed folk who seek by to increase the comfort and ease of humanity by practical means. Think of sewage and think of Bazalgette or most politicians.

Science may have given us nuclear weapons but it is the engineer that ensures it arrives on target… Er, hang on, this might need more work.

Bugger.

3. JD
    January 23, 2013 at 10:57

are you winding up engineers because you think they are clockwork toys?
    🙂

4. Amfortas
    January 23, 2013 at 11:28

Engineers are ‘sound’ chaps. What did Freud ever build?

5. ivan
    January 23, 2013 at 13:18

You should ask where would civilisation be without us engineers, or indeed, if there would be a civilisation at all.

The other thing is that some people have to keep their feet on the ground and be practical.

6. January 23, 2013 at 13:58

It is interesting though, is it not, how I know so many engineers. They must breed on the radiation I emit. 😉

7. james wilson
    January 23, 2013 at 18:09

Between physicians and engineers, the God complex seems to heavily favor physicians. Maybe empathy is overrated.

8. January 23, 2013 at 22:15

The engineers where I work must be a different breed. Non of them have ever hit me 😉

9. January 23, 2013 at 22:16

A certain poetic licence is tolerated here, I think.

10. ftumch
    January 24, 2013 at 10:27

Surprised nobody has posted this yet:

11. Amfortas
    January 24, 2013 at 10:32

You have the knack for finding’em, ftumch. 🙂