Odd sax [2]

On Wednesday, the question was asked: “What had changed?”

Well, on 12/09/24, Bix Beiderbecke and the Wolverines had arrived in town: although Bix left within a month to join the Jean Goldkette Orchestra in Detroit, his music fascinated New York musicians.

Then the second whammy; on 13/10/24 Louis Armstrong took the third trumpet chair in Fletcher Henderson’s band.

Under these influences, New York bands turned to hotter jazz. As a second example listen to San, recorded in May ’26: Rollini’s solo is outstanding – obviously no string bass or brass base (either tuba or sousaphone) could have delivered the like.

The Ramblers recorded under some hundred or so pseudonyms, often as smaller groups. Compare their October ’26 nine-man version of My Baby Knows How

… with their seven-man version as The University Six in November ’26.

Odd sax 1
Odd sax 2
Odd sax 3
Odd sax 4
Odd sax 5
Odd sax 6
Odd sax 7
Odd sax 8
Odd sax 9

6 Responses to “Odd sax [2]”

1. A K Haart January 4, 2013 at 21:38 Permalink

“The Ramblers recorded under some hundred or so pseudonyms”

Crikey – hectic times.

Amazon have a University Six CD (1925-1927) – a two disc set which seems good value. I just bought it anyway!

2. James Higham January 4, 2013 at 22:39 Permalink

Amazing times. I was listening to some of it today.

3. dearieme January 4, 2013 at 23:52 Permalink

Now, Hob, an official request. Please don’t bung up any Rollini youtubes freelance. I’ve got a careful scheme in mind for rolling them out. Ho yuss.

4. James Higham January 5, 2013 at 00:20 Permalink

Your wish is my command.

5. banned January 5, 2013 at 01:06 Permalink

O/T note to James H.
    Re your apology to Paul @OOL

I tried posting there one last time “I haven’t been able to post here for a while, worth giving it another try?”

Nope, went straight to 405 error

6. James Higham January 5, 2013 at 01:35 Permalink

Missed that, sorry. We come past every so often. Spam notifications don’t come to email but new approvals do. Therefore what is in spam can be missed.

Sorry about that – don’t know how to fix the system and why it chooses some to spam and some not to, often from the same person.

We’ll stay vigilant.