What is it about redheads?

redheads-redhead-red-redheads-demotivational-poster-1226177477

Nothing like a redhead to divide opinion. One can find many sites like this and many sites like this, from where these pics come.

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_high_03

There is this smouldering, direct, straight-bridge-nosed, “don’t mess with me” look they have and they’re definitely scarier than other women to cross.   Some connoisseurs don’t go for the pale skin, bonyness and freckles but others swear by them.

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_high_08

They’re certainly different.  Someone said that all women are much of a muchness but they’re are distinct feature differences with redheads.

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_13
They’re supposed to be the hottest of women.   For me, it’s that challenging look in the eyes.

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_02

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_high_35

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_high_32

Marcia Cross revealing an unusual mark on her chest at the 2011 CFDA Fashion Awards in New York

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_high_46

drop_dead_gorgeous_redheads_640_01

No sooner did I start putting these pics up that Google advertising swung into action:

redhead ad

They don’t need to be Anglo-Saxon:

russian girl

But they’re everywhere:

2_43934_RomCig.DP

karen_gillan_01

Nature’s signals:

Erin-Murderess

beautiful-redheads-2

You don’t think this was a touch of overkill again, do you?

19 Responses to “What is it about redheads?”

1. BobG January 24, 2013 at 15:23 Permalink

You missed my favorite redhead of all time.

2. James Higham January 24, 2013 at 15:41 Permalink

How could I have missed it?

3. Amfortas January 24, 2013 at 16:38 Permalink

It matters little what colour her hair is. A nice, pretty woman is a nice, pretty woman. Most can do wonders with their hair, whatever the colour.

4. wiggiatlarge January 24, 2013 at 17:07 Permalink

Amfortas is right on this one, still for those of us of a certain age this lady was stunning.

5. Rossa January 24, 2013 at 18:12 Permalink

As a Testarossa myself it is a very hard colour to wear because most kids want to blend in with the crowd. Hard to stand out at that age. Only when you’re a lot older do the benefits become apparent. Most redheads look younger than their age as most of us don’t tan so our skin is pretty good. I’m still told I look 10 years younger than my actual age.

Best bonus is that most of us don’t go grey, only get more ‘washed out’ as we age. My grandmother still had red tints in her hair at the age of 99. I have to say most of us as my uncle has gone grey.

The one shade of red that is the hardest shade to have is that real orange carrot colour which is usually accompanied by an almost transluscent skin. It used to be that redheads were only ‘supposed’ to wear green, blue or brown which may help explain my own rebellion and a rainbow palette of colours in my wardrobe. Red, yellow and orange can be worn as long as the shade is right for the skin colour.

Unlike my Mum (one of 5 redheads as both parents were red) I don’t have many freckles. They mainly appear in the summer when it’s a bit like join the dots ;-)

When I went to Paris in 1978 to visit my Aunt, yet another redhead, we had great fun spotting the dyed versus the natural. I’d say that only 1 out of 5 were real. The last photo above is the one that I think is most likely out of a bottle. The shade of red is not quite natural though it could be the lighting. Usually it’s the roots that give it away.

Red is also the one colour that is very hard to dye to another colour. You usually have to use peroxide to bleach it out completely. I always thought I’d look good as a blonde until I once had a play in a wig shop. Much better as a brunette. Now I’d much rather be what I am.

And finally……..Stirling Moss is credited with saying that “men whistle at blondes, slow down for brunettes but for a redhead they always go back” or words to that effect….lol

6. Rossa January 24, 2013 at 18:17 Permalink

PS There are even dating sites for those that love redheads. This one was featured in the media last year.

Wouldn’t use it myself as I don’t find red hair on a man attractive. Does that make me a colourist? :-)

7. Rossa January 24, 2013 at 18:18 Permalink

And you missed out Lily Cole, James……xx

8. James Higham January 24, 2013 at 18:48 Permalink

And Sterling Moss would know.

9. Don QuiScottie January 24, 2013 at 19:02 Permalink

I came along today naively expecting that I would be able to read your views on Cameron’s EU referendum speech. But this was possibly much more interesting. Thanks (although unfortunately it made me think about Charles Kennedy. Male redheads do not have the same allure)

10. James Higham January 24, 2013 at 19:59 Permalink

They don’t, as Rossa also mentioned.

11. lordsomber January 24, 2013 at 21:05 Permalink

No Christina Hendricks?

12. CherryPie January 24, 2013 at 22:42 Permalink

Are you thinking of anyone in particular?

;-)

13. Wolfie January 24, 2013 at 23:34 Permalink

White European Women are the pinnacle of beauty. I think we all know that.

14. Ian Hills January 24, 2013 at 23:54 Permalink

Rossa – be careful what you say about redheads or ginger people, or you might be accused of racism -

15. James Higham January 25, 2013 at 05:36 Permalink

Cherie – I only just picked up on it that I’d run one pic twice. Was that what you were referring to? And in answer – maybe subconsciously.

Other than that, none in particular on this page.

Also, thanks all other chaps and chapesses.

16. Rossa January 25, 2013 at 07:18 Permalink

Christina Handricks is not a natural redhead but obviously realised the benefits of following in Rita Hayworth’s footsteps to boost her career (and other parts of her anatomy).

Ian that is the first time I’ve been told that a redhead (me) may have to be careful what she (or he, can’t be sexist now) says about other redheads or gingers. I love red hair on anyone, I just don’t fancy redheaded men.

17. James Higham January 25, 2013 at 08:39 Permalink

You hairist, Rossa!!! Welcome to the Ist club. All members must be guilty of some -ism in their lives.

18. lordsomber January 25, 2013 at 09:57 Permalink

Rossa: True, but I didn’t want to let on. She wears it well and any reason to run her pic will get no complaints from me. ;)

19. Amfortas January 25, 2013 at 10:24 Permalink

Wolfie, it is a matter of taste. # “White European Women are the pinnacle of beauty. I think we all know that.”

I have always been struck by the beauty of Eurasian women, who combine the most refined features of both ‘races’.

But, back to the redheads. I was terse. These are a lovely collection. I look forward to a similar group of delicious blonds and sultry brunettes, heck even some well preserved older ladies with elegant, greying locks.

Meanwhile I will peruse more slowly and savour the freckles.