Born after 1980

Alicia Keys is the perfect example of someone who should stick to what she does well, i.e. playing the piano and being pretty and perhaps letting the other things go.

It’s when people go outside their range, outside their metier and aren’t terribly good at other things, that it becomes a tad embarrassing, especially when they think they’re good at those things.

alicia_keys__2483675e

She’s certainly got the looks, no doubt there but, as others have said:

#  She can’t handle anything beyond her tiny range. She strains all the time- most notably on her biggest hits.   What really shocks me is how she allows herself to go out of tune on some of her recorded songs. Especially since she is a musician, you are supposed to have an ear for this kinda stuff.   And no — I don’t consider this to be justifiable as “raw” or “emotional” elements.

#  Why would Alicia Keys let herself get pregnant by a married man?

#  Once again it proves that people in the spotlight need to stick to their “skills” and shut the heck up!

#  Alicia has decided that “Gangsta rap was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other”.   And you know how she’s educating herself on these sociopolitical matters?  By reading books written by the Black Panthers.

Now obviously she has every right to show her lack of talent and brainpower – it’s still a free country to an extent but it did make me wonder – is there anyone born after 1980 who is a talented singer or actor?   It’s possibly unfair to ask if the teen-flick actors and actresses are any good because they’re still raw and haven’t deepened in range as yet.

Anyway, the question stands – is there anyone born after 1980 who is a talented singer or actor?   Let’s take the only recent one I’ve heard:

All right, Bruno is not too bad but put him beside Robert Plant, Elvis, the Beatles, Sinatra, Luis Armstrong and so on. Put him beside Ian Curtis for example:

And for vocal power, how about:

Now Eric Burdon was young at the time so it can’t be put down to youth not being capable. Is there anyone born after 1980 with this sort of presence?

7 Responses to “Born after 1980”

1. madasahatter February 21, 2013 at 00:06 Permalink

what about jonathon and catherine

2. James Higham February 21, 2013 at 06:04 Permalink

Jonathan and Catherine or Jonathan and Charlotte?

Here he is:

Madasahatter – you’re quite right.

3. Amfortas February 21, 2013 at 11:47 Permalink

Born just 12 years ago.

I do not watch such ‘talent’ shows because of the almost total lack of talent on them. But there is an exception to every rule, as a rule. This little girl (10 y/o at the time) has an angelic voice and will become a ‘star’, but I do hope she is not dragged down the ‘entertainment’ industry hole. So many other fine young talents have been ruined in the maw of the entertainment beast.

4. James Higham February 21, 2013 at 12:06 Permalink

Wow – the voice was much bigger than her.

5. wiggiatlarge February 21, 2013 at 15:01 Permalink

That was indeed amazing , if I hadn’t been told who it was and her age I would have said she was miming to an adult track.

6. Amfortas February 21, 2013 at 15:24 Permalink

Children grow up fast. This may sound awful, but I hope she does not go on singing very long. She has been trekked around contries and theatres and made CDs and now a film and the poor child is being overwhelmed.

Her voice (at 10) is magical. It is so mature and ’round’ and she does not have lungs yet. Her vocal chords will change, probably to a higher register even from that beautiful depth. There are aspects of ourselves that reach a perfection early and are replaced. The prospect is always optimistic but the hindsight sees better.

Her performance (above) was emotionally powerful: a shock. The expectations hereafter will be for ‘more’. How do you follow that?

On a personal (me, Amfortas) the first time I saw and heard her I simply cried. It moved me so much. The Dad in me wanted to wrap this little girl in my arms and keep her safe from the legions of scum out there who would as soon make as much money from her and then throw her away as with older child prodigies. If this talent is from God, then I pray He keeps her safe and buffers disappointments that may well come before she even hits 16.

7. Rossa February 22, 2013 at 08:12 Permalink

She started before the age of 8 when singing the songs from Phantom of the Opera around the house. She plays violin and piano so a musical talent in more ways than one.

Now nearly 13 and managed by Syco, Simon Cowell’s company. On her own website her listed performances are only for one or two nights a month. Not the immediate pressure that was put onto Susan Boyle who while an adult was and still is vulnerable. Hopefully they’ll allow Jackie to grow up a bit more before she’s on that treadmill.