In defence of the humble baked bean

Thought the Mail was a bit out of line with its assumptions. No problem that it was reporting sales down £21 million in the UK but the assumption that baked beans are lower quality food is simply wrong.

In 2002 the British Dietetic Association allowed manufacturers of canned baked beans to advertise the product as contributing to the recommended daily consumption of five – six vegetables per person. This concession was criticised by heart specialists who pointed to the high levels of sugar and salt in the product.

However, it has been proven that consumption of baked beans does indeed lower total cholesterol levels and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, even in normo-cholesterolaemic individuals.[11][12] Some manufacturers produce a “healthy” version of the product with reduced levels of sugar and salt.

baked beans nutrition

A pretty useful food in combination with other good foods, would you say?

7 Responses to “In defence of the humble baked bean”

1. JuliaM December 24, 2013 at 10:52 Permalink

I always use one of the little cans to add to the lamb stew, which I make by using up either the leftover leg of lamb from Sunday lunch or a cooked off lamb shank.

2. Mark in Mayenne December 24, 2013 at 11:16 Permalink

Agreed, nothing wrong with named beans, and the “healthy” option of less salt and sugar adds value.

In my view, best eaten as part of breakfast, heated by frying in the left-over bacon fat.

3. James Higham December 24, 2013 at 13:26 Permalink

Too yum for words.

4. CherryPie December 24, 2013 at 13:48 Permalink

Love them on toast and also in a dish called beef in beans. Minced beef, baked beans, tinned tomatos, onion and pasta twists.

5. Rossa December 24, 2013 at 14:28 Permalink

Only downside for me is the 20% sugar and there’s enough wind outside my house without adding to it indoors as well.

;-)

6. dearieme December 24, 2013 at 15:28 Permalink

Beans and tomato sauce obviously good for us – sugar a bit of a piss-off, but you can disguise it with curry powder, though that doesn’t actually remove it, alas. Similarly, I would happily consume Heinz Tomato Soup if only it weren’t so laden with sugar. I wish they’d produce a Soup for Grown Ups range.

7. Daniel1979 December 24, 2013 at 15:33 Permalink

They are a staple, they go with many dishes be it breakfast, lunch or tea and like Julia I’ll throw some in the stew pot or the enchiladas if we have some open in a pot in the fridge.