Pot, kettle?

This demolition job in the Mail by Liz Jones – who she !

- on the single mum who has just become a new face of Sainsburys, says it all about the build em up knock em down mentality that exists in the media in this country.

Jack Monroe has been writing a blog for some time on how to feed herself and her child on not very much, well.

It caught the eye of the Guardian – I know I know – and she has an occasional piece there and now with the Sainsburys offer is being accused of “selling out” , if she did sell out and raised her standard of living thus what the …. has it got to do with anyone else.

She fits a certain profile that is easy to denigrate, single mum, tatoos, wears doc martins, but unlike those of similar ilk she may just be breaking out of her way of life by her own efforts and that surely can’t be a bad thing.

Her blog here -

has obviously come on a lot from its humble beginnings, and people may question certain campaigns and affiliations but the main theme remains and for the likes of Liz Jones to question her “morality” of what she does is just low journalism.

7 Responses to “Pot, kettle?”

1. Mark in Mayenne December 22, 2013 at 18:39 Permalink

Yes I have read that blog from time to time. Good for her, created an interesting blog and capitalises on it. What’s not to like?

2. James Higham December 22, 2013 at 19:12 Permalink

The tatts, the lesbianism? But let’s not be uncharitable on a Sunday.

3. wiggia December 22, 2013 at 19:27 Permalink

The tatts I spoke of, plus the initial lifestyle, not my style, but it doesn’t change the point I was trying to put across.
    On the other hand Liz Jones in a Julie Burchill style seems to say what is relevant to what she is writing only in a way that suits the moment re
    In a 2012 comment piece contained within the Daily Mail, whilst referring to the gender discrepancy in male and female mortality rates, Jones wrote “‘more men die younger, more are incarcerated’. Well, fine by me
    Make your own judgement !

4. James Higham December 22, 2013 at 19:50 Permalink

Not defending Liz Jones in the least, Wiggia. My feeling is both leave something to be desired.

5. Mark in Mayenne December 23, 2013 at 06:37 Permalink

Tatts, lesbians not my style either. Quitting a job to live as a single parent at taxpayer expense? Questionable. But creating a successful blog and driving revenue from it? Good.

6. ubermouth December 23, 2013 at 11:29 Permalink

As a vegan, I applaud Liz Jones for she is right. Shame not enough people will see that.