Finding a name for our politics

trump-and-farage

Posts have been weighted today towards the personal, RL type, instead of the Trump/globalist/Leave/Remain thing we usually have. If this means I’ve not run a lot of Chuckles’s and haiku’s, I hope they understand why.

At 18:00 is a megapost it took me days to put together and about 17 revisions and it’s about three people’s lives. Naturally, readers will ignore it but there’ll be comments on others – that’s the law of averages.

Anyway, to business – what do we call ourselves?

At the moment, many of us have the epithet ‘Deplorable’, we’re part of the ‘basket of deplorables’ and I for one am most comfortable with that, in the same way the Rats of Tobruk were comfortable being called rats, though I do state categorically that we have in no way matched these men and women who put their lives on the line.

Also comfortable are ‘right bastard’, ‘fascist far right wing’, ‘tinfoil hat’ and other choice expressions. And let’s not forget the old standbys – ‘racist’ and ‘misogynist’.

‘Curmudgeon’ is a badge of honour.

trump-elite

Oooo, yes please, where do I sign up?

More seriously, what are we?  For example, Longrider is a libertarian, not left, not right. I’m very much centre-right libertarian or classical liberal, with reservations, e.g. protection in some core industries.  That’s quite centrist. But not socially. When it comes to children, I’m far right.

The things which complicate it are that many we’d have seen as leftist, that is Labour/LibDem or Democrat voters and fair game have come over to this middling position, albeit from a different direction to us and methinks we need to accommodate them and not make snide remarks.

And let’s not forget the apolitical who nonetheless despair of the lunacy we see about. Mark‘s one of those.

Very vaguely expressed, we’re all now pretty well anti-global elite, anti-bankster, if not all pro-Nige, pro-Trump, pro-Brexit, we’re part of the 3.8 million last year, the 17.4 million this year, the 52%, the however many Americans who voted to put in Trump.  This is why Nige and he could get on so well.

And we have friends all over, from Marine in France to Geert in Holland, to Orban in Hungary. We’re cautious about Putin but not rabidly anti.  We do believe that WW3 might have been staved off.

We’re for our country, for strong defences, we believe in making our country great again, cleaning out the cesspits of Washington and Westminster, draining the swamp, jailing Clinton and Comey and let’s not forget Bliar [sic] and the Dark Lord, let alone Sutherland.

It’s uncanny how we might have been on about Brexit but when the American prez election came, we naturally fell onto one side of it together, without even talking it out.

Could we be called the Sane Party?  Trouble with that is, I for one am eccentric and happy with that.

On the other hand, those we might have counted as friends before have now left us and they haven’t all been commie/left-liberal, many have supposedly been on this Right the Left speaks of. They make anti-Marxist noises but then try to wreck the progress of the country.

So there are some Democrats who could actually be our allies and some so called GOPers or Tories who are sworn enemies, e.g. the Kenneth Clarkes of the world, the Paul Ryans, the Heseltines, Bushes, Kerrys, Gores, Pelosis, Heaths, Wilsons.

We reject the MSM today and put up with Breitbart if it behaves. Most of our blogs are at one on most issues, not all. For example, the 18:00 post today Chuckles and I do not fully agree on. Yet he’s a mate and almost everything he sends I’d go along with. I refuse to fight him, refuse to fight almost all readers here.

Restoring Britain is one of us although there are issues he’d diverge from me on.  Then there’s Wolfie and I can name so many others. So, what can we call ourselves? Rightwing does not cut it, open slather does not cut it – what can we say when someone asks us what our politics vaguely are?

I mean, I don’t want to have to go into listing every policy position – ttelling them small govt., low taxes, controlled immigration etc. etc. etc.  It would be nice to have a label we can use.

12 comments for “Finding a name for our politics

1. dearieme
    November 15, 2016 at 15:16

The Upyerbum Coalition.

2. Distant Relative
    November 15, 2016 at 15:41

Suggested logo for The Upyerbum Coalition is the last cartoon “Analyse Speleologique Post-Electoral” with an appropriate flag of choice. http://www.egaliteetreconciliation.fr/Les-dessins-de-la-semaine-Speciale-Trump-42573.html

Alas, here in France we ex-pats no longer have a vote in either country.

3. Tom
    November 15, 2016 at 20:32

Hard to say, James because you have defined “We” as vaguely as you usually define “Them”. Men and women of goodwill, perhaps? Or just (as I swear most political “isms” are euphemisms for “theft”) just The Anti-kleptocracy Party?

4. November 15, 2016 at 21:41

These days I’m very cautious about using the terms left or right, especially without qualifiers. I see myself as anti-globalist and socially conservative. I wouldn’t object if someone called me a reactionary, but then I wouldn’t really object if I got described as an old school leftist – I’m in favour of the welfare state and I tend to regard Big Business with extreme suspicion.

I’m a monarchist but I’d like an actual monarchy, where the monarch has real power. I think the British constitution as it existed from the Glorious Revolution up to the late 19th century was pretty sound.

I’ve been reading about Churchill recently. Today he’d definitely be a Deplorable but he was more complex than that. An interesting blend of left and right – a hardline small-c conservative with a strong commitment to economic justice. Actually I’m finding myself feeling oddly sympathetic to Churchill – he was both too far right and too far left to be comfortable in the Conservative Party.

But then I’m also finding myself feeling oddly sympathetic to Chamberlain, an able man who has been excoriated for pursuing a foreign policy based on a brutal acceptance of the reality that Britain could no longer afford to play at great power politics. He was one of the few who understood clearly that a war would be a disaster for Britain – even a successful war.

Sorry James, I’m starting to ramble!

5. dearieme
    November 15, 2016 at 22:13

Having recommended that Americans hold their noses and vote for Trump, I can now propose a first Upyerbum policy, to wit “Keep holding your nose”.

• November 16, 2016 at 08:20

I’ve put it to Twitter to see what reaction there’d be and Upyours seems more acceptable than the homosexual connotation of the other but quite positive. That pic seems to be the cosmopolitan one to use.

• dearieme
        November 16, 2016 at 11:23

There is no homosexual connotation in Upyerbum. It’s a cheerful Glaswegian dismissal of all and sundry. If you’re going to be all PC like that you can count me out. Upyerbum.

• November 16, 2016 at 11:53

Anti PC I think you mean. PC forces that sort of thing on us.

6. james Wilson
    November 16, 2016 at 19:06

Ya, Upyerbum is not Upmybum, which is the other side of the aisle.

• November 16, 2016 at 19:30

Whatever – my eyes are on the amazing position the Upyerbums now find themselves in – see later post.