20/20: bit of a personal issue

No, not the way I almost departed this earth today. Allow me to explain:

When you overfill a kettle and put it on the flame, it tends to belch water which puts the flame out. However, the gas is still pumping out.

What is not a brilliant idea is to notice the flame’s gone out and go to click the ignition again.

I didn’t, in the nick of time.

That’s not the issue. The issue is that, having been instrumental in getting rid of these noisy bstds next door, the landlord has got it into his head to do a complete rebuild [after 18 years].

He has also got it into his head that I need to be working on the boat 24/7, which is fine, I agree, but it’s a bit tricky at my age and out of condition and having just come out of the dental horror – I did 5 hours down there today [with him not here] and am easing back into it but the nature of the aching muscles is such that I literally can’t sit at the computer – have to stand or lie.

Quite sure all will be shipshape soon.

One good spinoff is that because I’ve volunteered to take his offcuts down to bin or burn, I get to accumulate good wood, e.g. galley bench and bed bases, structural timber.

And he’ll be here at 8 a.m. tomorrow.

Which is a longwinded way of saying I don’t think I can blog till tomorrow evening – best not be found here in the flat when he arrives.  As for now, the plaice and chips will go down, followed by the red wine and then it’s lampshade time.

Don’t think I’m complaining about this – it helps immensely to be back on the job – but something has to give tomorrow and methinks it might be blogging. Possibly I’ll come in at lunchtime and see who’s doing what.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Update: Plaice report.  You don’t get much fish with plaice, do you?  Not my favourite fish – that would be cod or haddock.  Do you like plaice?

12 comments for “20/20: bit of a personal issue

1. Chuckles
    May 19, 2017 at 21:06

Well, at least you know your plaice.

2. May 19, 2017 at 22:19

I like plaice but Mrs H isn’t keen – she says there isn’t enough fish or flavour to it.

3. May 20, 2017 at 01:28

I am rather partial to plaice, it has a delicate moist texture (if cooked properly) and subtle flavour.

Melts in the mouth 🙂

4. May 20, 2017 at 01:46

Some folk are suckers for squid.

5. May 20, 2017 at 02:58

Never have tried plaice, but I find pollock to be an inexpensive and decent whitefish.

6. May 20, 2017 at 06:24

Now isn’t that interesting about the fish – I hadn’t thought it was in the egg category for finickiness and needing to be precisely done.

Seems to me one is on a hiding to nothing – avoiding farmed fish like the plague, e.g. the sickly orange, toxic salmon, ditto with trout [I saw a vid of those fish farms and how the fish are made sick and stressed], trying for ocean fish but not that close into shore, so no plaice as a rule nor Dover sole.

There is pollock in stores but I avoid that too, don’t know why, don’t go near basa. Which brings me back to unimaginative cod and haddock.

7. Mark in Mayenne
    May 20, 2017 at 06:40

I like plaice, and in a chippie they don’t usually have it ready cooked so yo get it fresh

8. Distant Relative
    May 20, 2017 at 07:58

“Do you like plaice?”

Not when I have bigger fish to fry.

9. dearieme
    May 20, 2017 at 10:46

“Plaice you keep, flukes you throw back” was the rule on the trawler I went out on as a laddie. We were usually accompanied by seals who obviously knew that easy pickings were coming their way. We also threw back squid.

10. May 20, 2017 at 14:37

Are you sure you are correct about the danger of gas explosion? At least in properly maintained appliances.

My hob has a thermal cut-out on each gas ring, which I have just tested. Having blown out the burning gas, the gas only flows for few seconds before the cut-out cools enough. When cool, the gas will only flow if the control knob is pressed, which also fires the electric ignition. Thus, restarting the gas ring will not cause any/much flare-up and certainly no explosion, because the amount of built-up gas would be very small.

Furthermore, I very strongly suspect that such operation of the gas hob (and other gas appliances) is part of the compulsory health and safety and maintenance and inspection requirements for tenanted property.

Best regards