Housekeeping

UPDATE 0700 Mon: There’ll be posts of a sort at 6, 10, 2 and 6 today, there was some material in reserve. Last evening’s post:

………..

There’s going to be a 24 hour hiatus from Sunday to Monday evening from me personally, for an unusual medical reason.

There’s something in the yard, whether the wood glue in the ply or the epoxy, or whatever industrial chemicals are in the air, which exacerbates a skin condition and which saw me in hospital a few times, plus multiple visits to the doctor’s each time I’ve begin building solidly – steroids, antihistamines, antibiotics.

The direct sun is one of the worst factors and the first to go are the hands, in particular the right, the usual fissure lines break into wounds very quickly and it started again Friday and hasn’t cleared up – very red and about to go. I do not want this. It’s not just the skin, it ‘worries’ me in a sheepdog away, the itching, can’t think straight etc.

The computer is not the sole cause, I’m usually fine with it, hence the blogging and tweeting, but if I come in from outside red and blistering, as at this moment, 20 minutes at the computer exacerbates it. If I move away from the computer, shut it down, then it’s OK after about 7 hours. I think the indication is clear.

Essentially, I can go about 20 minutes maximum on the computer/iPad and then it starts – in fact it’s started now and I need to get offline. Plan then is a hiatus from now [19:55] until same time tomorrow evening and see if it clears up at all. Plan is to come in for ten minutes now and then tomorrow to check comments, emails etc. and even visit but shan’t be blogging.

Sorry ’bout this but needs must.

10 comments for “Housekeeping

1. Heltau
    June 19, 2017 at 02:31

It is alright with me. You take care of yourself first. Then your family. Then friends, then what ever else, then the computer.
    Happy Fathers Day, if it applies.

• June 19, 2017 at 07:10

Cheers. Father’s Day is a long and tawdry story from the distant past I’ll not get into here.

2. Distant Relative
    June 19, 2017 at 07:35

Suffer from skin probs meself so sending sympathy. Doc once told me “If you can smell it it’s entering the body and can provoke a reaction…”

3. fos
    June 19, 2017 at 12:49

James, sunshine.

Your blogging is starting to resemble the last 20 minutes before T-800 is lowered into the vat of molten steel.

IMO time to step back a bit and leave your visitors wanting more. If it’s hurting, stop.

4. June 19, 2017 at 17:43

Get better soon. Get that boat done. Tote that bale. Type that blog. Eat, drink and be merry. Get y’self a gentleman’s gentleman.

5. June 19, 2017 at 23:48

I can sympathise with skin ailments. Dratted small flies nibbled on my ankles last evening (something similar to what happened to me in August last year) causing my ankles to swell up with red blotches and nettle rash, making it painful to stand up or walk. I have the right medication to alleviate the problem, but I really need to sit down and keep my feet off the ground in a relaxed position. When I do that the redness and itching subsides…

6. June 20, 2017 at 00:48

Seems minor, skin, compared to other ailments but it can debilitate mind as well and exhaust you.

7. Toodles McGhee
    June 20, 2017 at 11:48

This past Sunday I was suffering from the worst panic attack. I tired to check in to N.O. For my “fix” — to no avail. Several attempts were made — same result. I go to OoL and awwwww, I can breathe a bit better. The palpitations subsided. I was able to read an article from Professor Higham.

I was afraid your or my government was censuring you, as you and your pals are voices that speak truth and are quite valiant day by day as you present thoughts, ideas, information and so on. I am saddened to find out about your epidermal issue…and yet, am so glad I have not been cut off from N.O. It would have been more than I could bear.

Since the relationship I have with N. O.is one sided ( I am the taker, although I do pray for you and the others on the magazine)I might can help Cherry Pie, your friend, with her bug bites. I live in the area one of your commenters once called “hick towns on the Gulf Coast”. We have pesky, biting bug issues down our way also. I am not sure if Cherry Pie’s “small flies” are the same pests as our “no see ums”. The reaction for me is similar, although her reaction sounds worse than mine. Late May to mid June yellow flies and sometimes horse flies are visicious! They bite often on the joint areas producing huge whelps that throb, become hot and itch but scratching doesn’t present the joy that some itches produce when scratched even though scratching! I have been told,is not good to do.

My helpful hint for bites such as the yellow fly whelps may sound off, but I guarantee it will help alleviate the pain and swelling to some degree. On the whelps I apply very warm to hot wet cloths to the area. I apply as soon as possible and continue as long as I have swelling and fever in the area. I use to have the whelps and fever in the area for days, but the warm applications made the situation better than it would have been. I once tried cold on them and the result was not good at all. Moist heat! I have shared this hint with many people who were very dubious at first. I am usually not pushy, but needless pain and suffering in others can give one nerve to intrude.

This year’s experience was better than usual. I took antihistamines ahead of going out and if bitten, I applied vinegar to the bite immediately. I carried my tiny,trusty bottle of vinegar with me when I went to known biting areas in my hick town.

For the “no see ums”, which may be similar to Cherry Pie’s insect, I immediately apply…yep, vinegar to the area which helps tremendously. Sometimes I must take an antihistamine. I have used anti itch creams before, but the vinegar seems to work more quickly for me (for the “no see ums”). If I do not use the above hints the “no see ums” nearly drive me insane, producing a different reaction than the yellow flies which really hurt. I also try to put on bug spray with at least 98% Deet. I use to use 100% Deet, which really worked. I mainly put it on my clothes which was very affective against mosquitos. Don’t know if y’all get those in your part of the world. Anything lower than 98% Deet is a waste of time IMHO. Also, some people don’t want or can’t use chemicals such as Deet on themselves. Again, the 100% was so affective I rarely needed to put much on, but I have not seen it for a couple of years.

James, I wish I had advice for you. My husband has similar reactions to chemicals and yet, doesn’t seemed fazed much by the already mentioned pests…except…wasp stings. Oh my, he swells tremendously. They hardly bother me except for the initial hateful sting (they are mean and very irritable critters). Not too long ago I put a creme containing Alpha Hydroxy on his face. Ooops. I had used it with some benefit. For him it was murder.

Also, my husband is extremely sensitive to poison ivy, oak and sumac. Our first summer as a married couple was spent going to the doctor, taking meds, and staying inside for the entire season. DO NOT put heat on that kind of poison no matter if the first aid book you have says to do so. It sounded odd, but the book said to do it…so the dutiful new wifey puts hot compresses on his neck, arms, waist, legs, ankles – I assume you get the pic. Before my and his swollen eyes we could actually watch the poison travel all over his body from head to toe. He looked like a raised-relief map. It was a gruesome site to behold. I don’t know how he stood it.

Sorry to be so chatty. I was a social coffee drinker earlier in the evening. Sleepless night after a brief nap. But I am not itching! Hope you are much better and thank you for all you do.

8. June 20, 2017 at 14:42

And thank you for all the above, a great pick-me-upper.