Death of the ice-cream van

Triple glazing stops children hearing the van?

Don’t think so. Commenters say:

# Salmonella is very common in ice cream products. I don’t think these vans properly maintain the temperature of the product overnight. Also, selling from a van is not conducive to hygene. Handling money and probably a grubby steering wheel and road fumes is not my idea of the correct environment to sell a tricky food item.

# The real reason is cost, just as pubs have gone out of business to MUCH cheaper supermarket beer, so ice cream vans will go the same way, they are pricing themselves out of the market for the majority of customers, it’s as simple as that.

15 comments for “Death of the ice-cream van

1. Brightside Bob
    August 13, 2017 at 16:45

Triple glazing stops children hearing the van

Saw this in the comments:
    “Who has their windows and doors shut in the summer, non story.”

2. Chuckles
    August 13, 2017 at 18:45

Heard two this afternoon, and most other days. Same as I have ever since I lived here
    I suspect the hidden narrative is the ‘salmonella’ bit. Allows them to stir the pot on two parallel narratives, boty preventing people enjoying what they would normally enjoy. Bonus.

3. Lisboeta
    August 13, 2017 at 18:54

Odd. In the Mail, the windows are triple-glazed. In the Telegraph, they’re only double-glazed.

• August 13, 2017 at 19:07

Not as if it’s a better neighbourhood.

4. August 13, 2017 at 19:15

Decades later, I still have the “Mister Softee” theme burned into my frontal lobes.

5. Wolfie
    August 13, 2017 at 20:16

I think it’s just that Mummy has the freezer stuffed with much cheaper lollies.

6. Mudplugger
    August 13, 2017 at 20:54

It’s not so much the cheap supermarket beer but the lack of convivial ‘atmosphere’ in pubs since the smoking ban.
    So we create that atmosphere at home now and, yes, with some of that cheap supermarket beer: they compete, so why pay more than you have to?
    But if we could smoke there, we’d all go back to the pubs, despite the higher prices, because a pub would then be a pub again.

7. August 13, 2017 at 21:11

Yes, both.

8. August 14, 2017 at 05:18

Nutty Buddies were my treasured culinary fave, but ice cream trucks selling Wacky Packs and exposure to Mad Magazine at a young age seemed to align my Compass of the Human Race to Cynic Mode for quite a time.

9. August 14, 2017 at 07:59

Ice cream vans? Luxury. When I wuz a lad we didn’t have ice cream vans. We nippers would go around to Mrs Ross’s up the road who made ice lollies in her fridge-freezer. She wuz the only person in our street to have such a new fangled machine.

We didn’t have the Ice and Coke other drugs that modern ice cream vans sell to the older kiddies either.

• August 14, 2017 at 09:07

Our treat was choc milk and strawberry milk, delivered with the regular. They then discontinued the flavoured.