This is not good

Firstly, the Bannon resignation has shocked Trump’s base and Twitter is awash with it all.

Far more worrying to me is the way social media is being trolled. Three examples:

1. My gmail has started giving me suggested replies to those who write to me. Think about that for a moment – even if it’s just key words triggering these responses, they’re still scanning every message.

2. On the Google search page, they are trying to track down my postcode – just why they think I’ll be pleased they can is beyond me. I don’t respond because:

a. There’s nowhere to respond to;
b. The code’s wrong.

3. Someone made a comment at Breitbart [with the Bannon story] a short while back and noted that Disqus is leftwing. What’s for sure is that this evening, Breitbart has been swamped by leftist trolls, to the point they’re hunting down apparent rightwing comments, e.g. mine, and attacking them. This comes through every minute at my email – it’s a barrage.

Breitbart comments were never mostly like that. You got trolls, yes, but maybe 10-15%. This right now was about 70-75% leftist, so that the usual 2 or 3000 comments from us have been swamped completely. Further, they’re gloating – one came through just now. And here’s another.

What that means is that with Trump having now got rid of his second last staffer from his base which got him elected, he is now in the hands of the very neocons the base detests and the only outlet, now Fox has gone, was Breitbart.

So people are retreating to Twitter as I write but regulars are being taken down there too.

In short, the war escalated this evening. Social media was the one place they could not control us – now it seems they can.

There are, of course, blogs but at my place, my most regular commenters for a month or so are being blocked and it’s nothing I’m doing. I’ve asked about it and there seems no technical reason why.

This is not looking good.

11 comments for “This is not good

1. Mark in Mayenne
    August 18, 2017 at 21:34

Am I being blocked? Testing… Not regular i know

• microdave
      August 18, 2017 at 21:47

Am I being blocked? – Ditto

• August 20, 2017 at 06:45

The three people the system is putting to moderation for some reason are Ivan, Dearieme and Amfortas. I know not why, but everytime I come in here, I search for their comments and approve.

I’m starting to think it might be something with their IPs but don’t know. The word is probably not ‘regular’ but ‘longtime’ and ‘repeated’.

2. Wolfie
    August 19, 2017 at 00:52

This was always the plan, his work in the WH is done. Calm yourself and pour another whisky.

3. Wolfie
    August 19, 2017 at 00:55

The left is set to coral the centre into the right, they are undoing themselves.

4. Yvonne
    August 19, 2017 at 10:13

I use Messenger, more often than not, to speak to a friend abroad. It is easy to use and ‘free’. It is convenient to use, generally stable, unlike Skype since being bought by Microsoft and I can use on laptop unlike Whatsap.
    The other day we discussed anxiety in relation to a relative’s dementia. Next time I put YouTube on my smart tv, I hadn’t logged in yet suggested videos included those referencing anxiety.
    Interesting that Messenger is a Face Book app, and YouTube Google. It seems like old fashioned mail will be the only place for privacy.

• Yvonne
      August 19, 2017 at 18:38

Don’t know how this got here – I was responding to another post.

However, I am concerned that Trump won’t be able to hold on much longer, but also wondering if the left have overreached and become overconfident. People like an underdog and the average Trump supporter is being drowned out. They will not like that.
      This situation could become very dangerous.

5. August 19, 2017 at 18:48

Two posts are in the pipeline – one a short question about just this and the other a very long, no link ignored one, both from guestposters.

6. james wilson
    August 20, 2017 at 01:11

It’s all happening fast now. Our ideas–even at this site–about what democracy actually is are being revealed as quite ridiculous.

• August 20, 2017 at 06:36

Therefore you need to specify, James, what it is, state your case.

N.O.’s job is to get the ideas on the table here for perusal and discussion. Dfor Doom, for example, seems to hold similar to you but one can’t know until they’re here in black and white.